John Carew

markavfc40

I miss the big guy. Just one of many reasons why I really don't like Houllier.

When you look back to that time, we had a pretty decent side and some great times. What could have been.

We had a decent team but still punched above our weight. We've had this conversation a million times but if only we had a manager at the time that was good in the transfer market but also spent like the money was his own.

But then I guess Arsene Wenger already had a job.

When you look back to that time, we had a pretty decent side and some great times. What could have been.

We had a decent team but still punched above our weight. We've had this conversation a million times but if only we had a manager at the time that was good in the transfer market but also spent like the money was his own.

But then I guess Arsene Wenger already had a job.

Argeed. At the end of it all O'Neill was the 2000's version of John Gregory. He did just as well as MON- top 6 places, a Wembley final and a cup semi final yet is not lauded by media as Clough's natural successor as he does not have mates in the media.

Edited by The Fun Factory

In my view mon built a team for that present day NOT for villa a future. He signed aging players like Luke young, heskey, shorty who were all short term fixes.

Mon didn't utilise youngsters for our future like the big boys have done like wenger and now mourinho (but on a larger scale)

In my view mon built a team for that present day NOT for villa a future. He signed aging players like Luke young, heskey, shorty who were all short term fixes.

What about Stylian Petrov, Ashley Young, James Milner, Stewart Downing, Phil Bardsley, Nigel Reo-Coker, Brad Guzan, Shaun Maloney, Curtis Davis, Fabian Delph, Stephen Warnock, Wayne Routledge, Zat Knight, Scott Carson...?

You can't blame Houllier- big John was shot by then. His career after Villa certainly follows that theory.

Yep, even before Houllier came in he was poor at the start of that season, that Newcastle penalty flew past my window the other day.

Still overall an excellent player for us when fit.

One of the few players we've had which have actually inspired some creative chants from the Holte aswell.

and also the most profitable exchange in transfer history. Carew for Baros in a straight swap. :lol:

It was a straight swap with the french club, but we had to pay Liverpool 3 million (it might even have been 4 mill), because there was a sell on clause for Baros. Little known fact, but it is true. It was in the accounts somewhere - can't remember if it was ours or Liverpool's now.

and also the most profitable exchange in transfer history. Carew for Baros in a straight swap. :lol:

It was a straight swap with the french club, but we had to pay Liverpool 3 million (it might even have been 4 mill), because there was a sell on clause for Baros. Little known fact, but it is true. It was in the accounts somewhere - can't remember if it was ours or Liverpool's now.
would love to see a source for that because its the first I've heard of it (not doubting you. Just interested)

I'd still say we got a good deal though!

• Like 1

we made up for it by flogging them Downing ;)

• Like 1

Did anyone see Alesha Dixon on Piers Morgan's Life Stories the other night?  She really glossed over the bit about her going out with Carew and seemed reluctant to talk about it (as if she didn't like him).

Anyway, apparently, Carew is on Soccer AM this Saturday morning :)

Did anyone see Alesha Dixon on Piers Morgan's Life Stories the other night?  She really glossed over the bit about her going out with Carew and seemed reluctant to talk about it (as if she didn't like him).

Anyway, apparently, Carew is on Soccer AM this Saturday morning :)

Ha I saw that!

As much as I despise Piers Morgan, he'd have gone up 0.0001% in my estimation if he'd ask the obvious question "So Alesha, the Holte End used to chant "Carew, Carew he's bigger than me and you.....is he....?" :D

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

🥶

JOHN CAREW CHARGED WITH GROSS TAX EVASION

Former football player and actor John Carew (42) risks unconditional imprisonment: Økokrim has issued an indictment for intentional, gross tax evasion.

Carew is accused in the indictment of having evaded NOK 5.4 million in taxes in the years 2014 to 2019. This is the period after the 42-year-old resigned as a football player.

During this period, Økokrim claims that Carew did not declare an income of NOK 12.8 million, as well as a fortune of a total of NOK 307 million.

- This is a serious case because it involves tax evasion over many years of a significant amount, says Attorney General Marianne Bender.

The penalty for gross tax evasion is imprisonment for up to six years.

The 42-year-old emphasizes that he intends to make up for it.

- My client has received incorrect tax advice, which has led him to mistakenly believe that he was tax resident in the UK (UK, journ. Note). He has also been clear all along that he wants to make up for it, says lawyer Berit Reiss-Andersen.

She tells VG that she thinks there will be a trial after the summer or in the autumn. She adds that the waiting time before the case comes up is demanding.

https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/47JpeV/john-carew-tiltalt-for-grov-skatteunndragelse

Â