John Carew

markavfc40

It was lovely to have someone play for you that you know if he plays well that there is nothing the opposition can do!

If only we had that kind of player today...
Benteke

I'd say Gabby too, if only he did it more often.

Controversial opinion here, but I don't think Carew was all that. He loved the club, but in his last 2 seasons, there was too many lazy lethargic performances. Occasionally he would turn it on and be brilliant like Newcastle 07/08, but they were few and far between.

Edited by Voinjama

Controversial opinion here, but I don't think Carew was all that. He loved the club, but in his last 2 seasons, there was too many lazy lethargic performances. Occasionally he would turn it on and be brilliant like Newcastle 07/08, but they were few and far between.

In those last seasons, yes. But remember how good he was before that? His later performances were undoubtedly less and that's why his career pretty much ended after leaving us, but that shouldn't take away from how good he was before that. 

Ha, not me, it was his celebration with one of the ball boys after scoring against Blues. In the 5-1 game if I'm not mistaken.

If I were lifted up by John Carew I'd be so happy.

Unsurprisingly, his form dropped off when Mon signed emile heskey and put heskey in the team rather than carew. Criminal that heskey started the cup final instead of big john

• Like 1

(waiting for the pedant)

(come on he has set that up....)

It was lovely to have someone play for you that you know if he plays well that there is nothing the opposition can do!

If only we had that kind of player today...

Benteke

:)

Carew was one of those players though wasn't he, like Berbatov, in when he didn't play well he came over as lazy and work shy. But when he was on it he was absolutely brilliant.

I loved him.

• Like 1

Yes John is very much a villa fan. He always talks good about us when he is on PL studio at tv. Definitely liked his time here:)

thinkit was the only club where he was undoubted 1st choice and stayed for a period of time. I notice a lot of ex-players doing punditry have fond memories of being at Villa like Macnally and Yorke.

only one that doesn't seems be that clearing in the woods David Platt

Does he talk about any of his other numerous clubs in as glowing terms? I'd imagine he enjoyed his time at Valencia aswell given they reached a champions league final when he was there?

What's clear is here he loved the connection he had from his debut with the Holte End which I doubt he had at any other club.

He talked up Valencia as much as us on his recent Fantasy Football club appearance.  He didn't pick any Villans in best 11 of players played alongside either :( 

Oh he loves the Villa, even said he would play for free last season when they were discussing our ongoing problems. He is a club nomade of course, and he had his best times at Valencia, Roma and Lyon, but he actually played the most games for Villa if you look at his stats. Nowadays he spends his time on the golf course, I've met him several times the last year. Nice life that, having so much money you can actually play golf 5 times a week and still have a good conscience

Â