John Carew

markavfc40

On a general note Papillion given you're Norweigen I'd be interested to know why Norway has just declined so much as a football nation and are pretty similar to Scotland in that you just never get close to international tournaments anymore.

I suppose the 90 early 00s was just a golden era for you even if the football wasn't pretty but still when I look at the squad you have then...good premeir league players like henning Berg and Heggem at the back, Leonardson in midfield and a great group of strikers in Flo, OGS, Carew and Iversen.

Now what do you have nowadays. Hangeland and Riise in their 30s and about to retire and you're calling up Barnsley reserves like Pedersen.

Certainly compared to Sweden and Denmark you're  a fair bit off. In fairness i don't think Sweden have done well with youth development at all and Ibra has really kept them competitive so think they'll dip when he retires but Denmark still produce really good players like Christen Eriksen, Agger, Kjaer (way overrated though but would get in Norway's side) and hopefully okore. They're probably at the level Norway were in the 90s.

Ashley Young was quite brilliant when he was here, easily my favorite player in the last ten years. Sure Benteke has a higher level when he is playing at his best, but it's hard to appreciate anything when the rest of our team is so crap. Under MON and when we had Young et al we had a genuine belief of winning every single game at home. We didn't, of course, but we were even odds-on favorites to win against Arsenal at home one season. When did that happen lately? People wanted to see Villa, because we were both a good team and we played interesting football. Sure the current Everton-side is very appealing, but back then we even surpassed them in terms of interest for our team. Young was excellent at challenging the line and whipping in crosses for Carew, just imagine what could have happened if let's say we had signed Darren Bent back then instead of Emile Heskey. Lying nine points ahead of Arsenal at Christmas is no guarantee for a team like ours, but we really had a shot at that 4th spot back then.

We did but for the money that was spent our football was one dimensional in those times.

I actually think our best chance of 4th was in 09/10 but my memories of that campaign were the home games against Spurs and Man. City, both games we took early leads in but then sat back, let the opposition dominate and they eventually got ti back to 1-1.

On a general note Papillion given you're Norweigen I'd be interested to know why Norway has just declined so much as a football nation and are pretty similar to Scotland in that you just never get close to international tournaments anymore.

I suppose the 90 early 00s was just a golden era for you even if the football wasn't pretty but still when I look at the squad you have then...good premeir league players like henning Berg and Heggem at the back, Leonardson in midfield and a great group of strikers in Flo, OGS, Carew and Iversen.

Now what do you have nowadays. Hangeland and Riise in their 30s and about to retire and you're calling up Barnsley reserves like Pedersen.

Certainly compared to Sweden and Denmark you're  a fair bit off. In fairness i don't think Sweden have done well with youth development at all and Ibra has really kept them competitive so think they'll dip when he retires but Denmark still produce really good players like Christen Eriksen, Agger, Kjaer (way overrated though but would get in Norway's side) and hopefully okore. They're probably at the level Norway were in the 90s.

not 100% sure but im sure the Norway manager build a style of football in 1994 that was effective but practically international Stoke minus the thuggery and also read after this was successful that a lot of domestic teams start playing the same way. Im sure he was also the same manager for the 2012 qualifiers

Yes it was Egil Olsen.

I'm just wondering why the quality of players has dramatically declined. As I put above in the 90s Norway could near enough field a premier league 11, now they have championship players in their squad.

I suppose for small nations it's just all in cycles, Iceland and Wales have fantastic generation of players right now but that probably won't be the case in 10 years time when the squads hit their mid 30s as their populations are just too small to keep producing that level of quality.

yeah as you said Norway like Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Denmark and up until very recently Belgium in that have had good periods in their recent football history and never really had the talent to sustain it like the major countries. Only Holland and Croatia of smaller size countries have been able to have a continual flow of talent

Croatia is an odd one, they have only had an independent football team for 20 years but the Slavic people have always been good at football. If they keep declaring independence from each other at the rate they have been since the 1990s it won't be long before all of the countries down there don't even have a population big enough to field a team. :lol:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

love him. such a great personality, and on form he was unstoppable. 

that stoke goal was one of the few matches I went to that season, sadly more memorable for the late collapse that helped us on our way to losing the lead over arsenal :(

Edited by Rodders

I miss the big guy. Just one of many reasons why I really don't like Houllier.

When you look back to that time, we had a pretty decent side and some great times. What could have been.

Aye. Got very nostalgic seeing Marlon, NRC, Craig G and big Emile in there ;)

When you look back to that time, we had a pretty decent side and some great times. What could have been.

Aye. Got very nostalgic seeing Marlon, NRC, Craig G and big Emile in there ;)

Ha :)

Thing is in football like life you often focus on what you haven't got as opposed to what you have, this was certainly true during the years we were finishing 6th. We had so many good players, really good players and pro's it's only after the fact you fully appreciate that.

When you compare those days to the last 4 years you'd be quite happy to go back even if it meant tolerating Heskey and co again.

• Like 2

You can't blame Houllier- big John was shot by then. His career after Villa certainly follows that theory.

• Like 2

Â