John Carew

markavfc40

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

I’d like to think I’d know enough to make sure I’d spot obvious discrepancies. 

That wasn’t really the point, though. The point is, you can, rightfully, be punished for something you didn’t do on purpose. 

The point i was making was whether you knew you was doing something wrong.

The facts are if your not a qualified accountant you are likely not going to have a clue what you should be paying

10 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Big respect to anyone that doesn't especially if self employed. Literally every self employed person I know, more than 30 off the top of my head, fiddles tax in some way. Usually by working cash in hand and not declaring it

Exactly thats pretty standard

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The point i was making was whether you knew you was doing something wrong.

The facts are if your not a qualified accountant you are likely not going to have a clue what you should be paying

That’s not a very good defence, I’m afraid. You should have some clue what you should be paying. You shouldn’t just mindlessly accept any scheme your advisors and accountants come up with. 

He also plead guilty afaik. He has admitted he should have known better. 

16 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Big respect to anyone that doesn't especially if self employed. Literally every self employed person I know, more than 30 off the top of my head, fiddles tax in some way. Usually by working cash in hand and not declaring it

Which is why I flat out refuse to pay for services in cash or without a receipt. I refuse to facilitate tax evasion. 

8 hours ago, El Zen said:

That’s not a very good defence, I’m afraid. You should have some clue what you should be paying. You shouldn’t just mindlessly accept any scheme your advisors and accountants come up with. 

He also plead guilty afaik. He has admitted he should have known better. 

Some clue but if your big money like carew probably was you wouldnt know the exact amount you would be paying thats what you pay accountants for. He probably said he should have known better to get a leaner sentence. Didnt the weasel that assaulted grealish get less time than carew.?

8 hours ago, El Zen said:

Which is why I flat out refuse to pay for services in cash or without a receipt. I refuse to facilitate tax evasion. 

Easy to say that if you have the money. If lets say you want your drive down and they say they can do it 3-4k cheaper if you pay part cash your not going to say no

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Some clue but if your big money like carew probably was you wouldnt know the exact amount you would be paying thats what you pay accountants for. He probably said he should have known better to get a leaner sentence. Didnt the weasel that assaulted grealish get less time than carew.?

Easy to say that if you have the money. If lets say you want your drive down and they say they can do it 3-4k cheaper if you pay part cash your not going to say no

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I really don’t think we should be comparing sentencing for simple assault and tax fraud. Sentencing policy has to be more complicated than that. It can’t be as simple as ‘violent crimes should always be punished harder than financial crime or other non-violent crime’. 

Carew let his people commit large scale tax fraud. That’s not the same as not knowing the fine details. He should have known better and he knows it. 

I’m not a rich man. 3-4k is a lot of money for me. But I’m not going to make myself an accomplice to crime over it. I’d rather not have the work done, then. 

12 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I really don’t think we should be comparing sentencing for simple assault and tax fraud. Sentencing policy has to be more complicated than that. It can’t be as simple as ‘violent crimes should always be punished harder than financial crime or other non-violent crime’. 

Carew let his people commit large scale tax fraud. That’s not the same as not knowing the fine details. He should have known better and he knows it. 

I’m not a rich man. 3-4k is a lot of money for me. But I’m not going to make myself an accomplice to crime over it. I’d rather not have the work done, then. 

Eh? Accomplice? They quote, you pay. What they do afterwards is nowt to do with you.

17 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Eh? Accomplice? They quote, you pay. What they do afterwards is nowt to do with you.

It’s not that simple, though. Do they insist you pay in straight cash, no invoice, no receipt? Is the quoted price «too good to be true»? There are red flags you should be aware of and can be held responsible for ignoring. 

Anyway, in Dem’s example, to which I replied with the bit you quoted, he said you do the deal if you save 3-4k, even if you know the guy is keeping the money off the books. That is literally being an informed accomplice to tax fraud. 

37 minutes ago, El Zen said:

It’s not that simple, though. Do they insist you pay in straight cash, no invoice, no receipt? Is the quoted price «too good to be true»? There are red flags you should be aware of and can be held responsible for ignoring. 

Anyway, in Dem’s example, to which I replied with the bit you quoted, he said you do the deal if you save 3-4k, even if you know the guy is keeping the money off the books. That is literally being an informed accomplice to tax fraud. 

**** em. With all the shady stuff that happens in Government, they lead by example.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

**** em. With all the shady stuff that happens in Government, they lead by example.

Fine. Civil disobedience by tax fraud. As you please. Doesn’t really counter anything I said, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

I hear your point but the way things are nowdays people will be forced to save any more they have if that means paying part cash people will.

If things were not so bad then i would agree with you. People can only pay what they can afford unfortunately 

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I hear your point but the way things are nowdays people will be forced to save any more they have if that means paying part cash people will.

If things were not so bad then i would agree with you. People can only pay what they can afford unfortunately 

I’d much rather save money by other means, but that’s me.

17 hours ago, El Zen said:

He would have gotten a longer sentence if judged intentional. 

He should have known better. 

If someone offers to sell you a brand new luxury car for £1k in cash and a round down the pub, you should know you’re buying stolen goods and can therefore be punished, even if you didn’t intentionally commit a crime. 

I wouldn't judge him too harshly.

If it is all down to a combination of his ignorance and his accountant's failure, it is hard not to feel sympathy for the guy.

Norway is one of those states which spends almost 50% of the country's GDP, and I don't suppose it is any less corrupt than other governments.

Of course, if he resisted, the state would be quite willing to kill him - that is why anarchists believe governments base their power on a monopoly on violence.

Â