John Carew

markavfc40

Anyone see him on Goals on Sunday this morning. Funny as **** when he swore saying Matthew Etherington was a clever bastard.

Spoke very highly of us saying how the club is in his heart and how much he loves it and especially the supporters. He said he felt the club should still be up amongst the top 6 and challenging for the top 4. Also said what a great manager Mon was, how he enjoyed playing for him and how the club probably regret letting him going. Said a few uncomplimentary things about Houllier.

Had high praise for Gabby and said that we still had some very good players and should not be struggling.

Basically said what most of us know I guess.

They showed a fair few of his goals for us and it brought back a few good recent memories although given the tripe served up the last couple of seasons it seemed like a lifetime ago.

Anyone see him on Goals on Sunday this morning. Funny as **** when he swore saying Matthew Etherington was a clever bastard.

Spoke very highly of us saying how the club is in his heart and how much he loves it and especially the supporters. He said he felt the club should still be up amongst the top 6 and challenging for the top 4. Also said what a great manager Mon was, how he enjoyed playing for him and how the club probably regret letting him going. Said a few uncomplimentary things about Houllier.

Had high praise for Gabby and said that we still had some very good players and should not be struggling.

They showed a fair few of his goals for us and it brought back a few good recent memories although given the tripe served up the last couple of seasons it seemed like a lifetime ago.

Carew is a top man. He became my favorite player when he was scoring for fun in my Norwegian club Rosenborg, and I followed him closely when he went to Valencia. Could not believe our luck when he signed for us, and he was really successful. Even though his last season were shite, he managed to score 37 league goals after 89 starts. He actually totaled 52 goals in 105 starts in all tournaments!!!

I know someone who is rather close with Carew, and they told me that the CEO of Villa was a huge idiot and that the club was very interested in getting rid of him to save wages. Apparantly Carew wanted to sign a new contract when O'Neill was in charge, but it was apparent that Houllier either did not want Carew or were not allowed to sign him up. Maybe they just forced him out (that was the impression I got).

Carew is a top man. He became my favorite player when he was scoring for fun in my Norwegian club Rosenborg, and I followed him closely when he went to Valencia. Could not believe our luck when he signed for us, and he was really successful. Even though his last season were shite, he managed to score 37 league goals after 89 starts. He actually totaled 52 goals in 105 starts in all tournaments!!!

I know someone who is rather close with Carew, and they told me that the CEO of Villa was a huge idiot and that the club was very interested in getting rid of him to save wages. Apparantly Carew wanted to sign a new contract when O'Neill was in charge, but it was apparent that Houllier either did not want Carew or were not allowed to sign him up. Maybe they just forced him out (that was the impression I got).

Houllier forced him out, just like he tried to with Warnock.

i loved carew when he was with us, a great goal scoring record and a cult personality. but to be fair he was on a downward slope at that point in terms of premier league effectiveness. last season he was poor on loan at stoke and at the moment hes struggling to get many games at west ham.

of course he wanted to sign a new deal - nice cushy 3 years of hefty wages; at a club where he was a fan favourite so he wouldnt get much stick even when it quickly became clear he was done at this level.

however it was the right thing for the club to get rid at that point, we would have been spending a large wage and getting little return. just a shame the board didnt see things like that when o'neill wanted heskey. i wish we could get rid of him so easily.

So, so close. :cry:

Both would've been right decisions too.

Carew was poor in his last season with us, didn't do anything at Stoke and is doing nothing in the championship.. a new contract? your having a laugh.

Warnock - well the less said about him the better - i don't want to be in a bad mood throughout the day.

• Like 1

still id say carew in his bad form knocked in more goals than heskey

doubt it, am sure Emile got more goals last season.

Loved Carew but dont have to agree with most Houllier decisions but a not giving a new deal was right move

Yeah. I loved Carew, still do. but I think we let him go at the right time.

The fact he's now in the championship sort of backs that up.

This.

Nice to hear that we're still special to him.

Did he really get 52 goals in 105 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I didnt realise it was that much, credit to him if those figures are correct. He was a decent player, but from 2010 he became very lazy like he didnt care. I seem to remember many on this forum getting frustrated.

On his day he was brillant, but as others have already mentioned he faded out fast, even towards the end of MONs time.

56/105 is something you would expect from a striker getting service from young/barry/milner/downing.

Loved his hat-trick @ Reading in the Cup. We was shocking first half think we were 2-0 down at HT then Carew turned it on and bagged 3 goals.

Maybe it was the right thing to let him go.

But remember this: 52 goals in 105 starts in all competitions!

According to the ever reliable wikipedia, he got 48 goals in 132 appearances.

Surely if you're focusing on starts and therefore ignoring his sub appearances, you also need to ignore the goals scored when he came on as a sub?

true but think he has only 3 goals in last 18 months and 0 for Villa

Surely if you're focusing on starts and therefore ignoring his sub appearances, you also need to ignore the goals scored when he came on as a sub?

From soccerbase.

Aston Villa 89 (24) 37 8 (2) 11 3 (2) 0 5 (0) 4

Here he started 105 matches. Scored 52.

He was on the pitch 133 matches.

From soccerbase.

Aston Villa 89 (24) 37 8 (2) 11 3 (2) 0 5 (0) 4

Here he started 105 matches. Scored 52.

He was on the pitch 133 matches.

I know, but you're making it sound like he's basically a 1 in 2 striker.

Â