John Carew

markavfc40

Houllier forced him out, just like he tried to with Warnock.

Both would've been right decisions too.

Carew was poor in his last season with us, didn't do anything at Stoke and is doing nothing in the championship.. a new contract? your having a laugh.

Warnock - well the less said about him the better - i don't want to be in a bad mood throughout the day.

I don't think Carew and Warnock are bad players, it's just a shame that Houllier let his personal grudges get in the way of what was best for the team.

• 2 years later...

At the end of the day he was a good signing for us given he was a swapise for Baros. Like other posters  have commented on his day he was immense, shame at best it was one out of 3 games. Still we had 3 good seasons for us and he left at the right time as he has done nothing since he left the Villa. If I remember he had a long running back problem which probably slowed his career down. He had a certain charisma about his play and gave us some many fond memories during a era in which we all thought was going to bigger and better things, but now in retrospect was a just another decent period of top 6 finishes.

Carew was absolute quality for us for a couple of years, as important as Benteke is now to our strike force. Considering he was a swap for Baros he has to a contender for the greatest signing on the Lerner era. His form did nosedive toward the end of his Villa career but that shouldn't detract from how good he was up until then. 

Also, I understand that he is bigger than me or you. 

I think that whole team had a bond with the club. Before the game we used to chant every players name and they would respond to the fans, Carew even did it during the game. We don't have that now apart from Gabby.

Bouma, Laursen, Mellberg, Carew, Gabby, Young, Milner, Barry, NRC, I miss that team.

• Like 1

I think that whole team had a bond with the club. Before the game we used to chant every players name and they would respond to the fans, Carew even did it during the game. We don't have that now apart from Gabby.

Bouma, Laursen, Mellberg, Carew, Gabby, Young, Milner, Barry, NRC, I miss that team.

I watched the highlights of when we beat Blues 5-1 recently. What a good team we had back then. MON comes in for a lot of stick but he put a decent team together, albeit at a cost!

• Like 2

I watched the highlights of when we beat Blues 5-1 recently. What a good team we had back then. MON comes in for a lot of stick but he put a decent team together, albeit at a cost!

The sixth best team on the sixth highest wage budget.

• Like 1

It could've been better given the resources available and of course that same 11 was run into the ground by March but that argument has been done a thousrand times of course.

What was good is that MON obviously wanted a high tempo, direct pacy team and he did construct a first 11 well out of that.

Anyway I wish Carew well. Was a key part of some good times for us and had a pretty good goalscoring record all told, regularly hit double figures in the league and chipped in with a few in the cups.

The injuries at various points were frustrating but suppose that's how he ended up here.

Does he talk about any of his other numerous clubs in as glowing terms? I'd imagine he enjoyed his time at Valencia aswell given they reached a champions league final when he was there?

What's clear is here he loved the connection he had from his debut with the Holte End which I doubt he had at any other club.

Hmm..no not that I can think off. Mostly when he is mentioned it is with Aston villa or he gets asked about it. Seen it several times so I definitely get the feel that this was his favorite club, at least to play for. I know he has mentioned John Arne Eggen as his favorite coach, an old Rosenborg coach who dominated in the 90s when he was breaking through.

I have never seen him say it directly though so you never know.

Â