John Carew

markavfc40

He’s done brilliantly in the property business, to be fair. 

But yeah, tax dodging isn’t cool. I’m not sure his line of defense will hold up.

27 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Had a good career, but worth £28m…

the wealth of footballers and wealth disparity in general, and his heyday was 15 years ago. 

pay your taxes you prick.

Last few seasons of his career he would've been earning a few £million per year tbf. His wiki has a Norwegian paper that claims he demanded 600,000kr per match from Valerenga after he left England, which would indicate he was likely on around £60k p/w (I think that would be the conversion for the time) at us and West Ham.

Then 10 years of inflation, investment and not paying his tax, he could easily have a net worth of £28m.

16 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Last few seasons of his career he would've been earning a few £million per year tbf. His wiki has a Norwegian paper that claims he demanded 600,000kr per match from Valerenga after he left England, which would indicate he was likely on around £60k p/w (I think that would be the conversion for the time) at us and West Ham.

Then 10 years of inflation, investment and not paying his tax, he could easily have a net worth of £28m.

Doesn’t make it any less annoying 😂

Gosh  could be in big trouble. It does make you wonder sometimes if they just leave their accountants to do all their accounts and some just do dodgey shit that people dont even know. But in all liklihood he knew 

Edited by Demitri_C

Can't imagine he had much of a clue about tax law and he was dependent on an advisor telling him what he can and can't do. Assuming he was declared as tax resident here and paying taxes here, then I can understand the defence.  Whether it stands up in court I guess we'll find out. Ignorance is rarely an excuse. He's always struck me as one of the more intelligent footballers around so maybe he did know. 

18 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Can't imagine he had much of a clue about tax law and he was dependent on an advisor telling him what he can and can't do. Assuming he was declared as tax resident here and paying taxes here, then I can understand the defence.  Whether it stands up in court I guess we'll find out. Ignorance is rarely an excuse. He's always struck me as one of the more intelligent footballers around so maybe he did know. 

We say ignorance is not a excuse but if your sure about how to do your tax you get an accountant to do it for you.

I have a accountant i have no idea if they doing any dodgey shit as just putting my trust in them to do it correctly. 

19 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think his claim of ignorance is plausible, probable even. He seems like a nice enough guy, even if intelligent probably isn’t the right word. I can absolutely believe he doesn’t know the law very well. 

He’s still responsible for his affairs, though, and claiming ignorance probably won’t keep him out of trouble. 

• 6 months later...
42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Pleaded guilty to tax evasion. Facing two years in jail.

Not looking good for big john

Norwegian prison is like a high quality apartment so it's alright.

Â