Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Just wing it on the day. 

That's what I'd do. Did do, in fact. 

I saw someone do that. He wasn’t the brightest and had had a few, plenty of talk about various people especially the bridesmaids but totally forgot to mention the bride!

Most entertaining viewing!

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I saw someone do that. He wasn’t the brightest and had had a few, plenty of talk about various people especially the bridesmaids but totally forgot to mention the bride!

Most entertaining viewing!

I got married in Devon and made some disparaging remarks about cider, that I thought were highly amusing. You could hear the tumbleweeds. 

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I got married in Devon and made some disparaging remarks about cider, that I thought were highly amusing. You could hear the tumbleweeds. 

Good job you didn’t mock their custard things could have got out of hand.

I'm all for winging it, I don't think I will have too much trouble thinking on my feet. 

The main part of the speech I'm anxious about is talking about her family. To be blunt, it is not easy to say a lot of nice things about them. 

Luckily for me the bride to be gets just as frustrated about her family as I do. This is the part she is going to help me with. 

Other than that it's basically welcome everyone, say the bridesmaids are smoking hot but not as hot as my new bride. Tell everyone all the things I like about her, keep my mouth shut for this one day of my smart arse remarks.

Presto I'll be married. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm all for winging it, I don't think I will have too much trouble thinking on my feet. 

The main part of the speech I'm anxious about is talking about her family. To be blunt, it is not easy to say a lot of nice things about them. 

Luckily for me the bride to be gets just as frustrated about her family as I do. This is the part she is going to help me with. 

Other than that it's basically welcome everyone, say the bridesmaids are smoking hot but not as hot as my new bride. Tell everyone all the things I like about her, keep my mouth shut for this one day of my smart arse remarks.

Presto I'll be married. 

Traditionally, the groom's speech is all about thanking everyone, paying compliments to a special few etc.

It's the best man's speech that, I feel, needs to be funny and varied in subject material.

Good luck anyway

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Traditionally, the groom's speech is all about thanking everyone, paying compliments to a special few etc.

It's the best man's speech that, I feel, needs to be funny and varied in subject material.

Good luck anyway

Why not break with tradition and not have speeches? That's what I'm gonna do. **** tradition.

Just now, rjw63 said:

Why not break with tradition and not have speeches? That's what I'm gonna do. **** tradition.

Good point. On a slightly different angle, at my cousin's wedding in Cork they got the speeches out of the way before the meal which I think is a good idea and means that if you're nervous about the looming public performance ahead of you, well at least you can get it out of your way & then fill your face :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I didn’t have any speeches, but then it was a beach bbq with steel drum band in the Caribbean. Best man just stood up from the table whilst we were all eating and said a few words, small gag and that was that. Back to food/drinks/having a laugh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I agree with you %100. But I have made a few changes to the normal wedding so wasnt going to win with speeches.

We are having them at the beginning of the night because there was f all chance of me being sober enough to talk after dinner. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I didn’t have any speeches, but then it was a beach bbq with steel drum band in the Caribbean. Best man just stood up from the table whilst we were all eating and said a few words, small gag and that was that. Back to food/drinks/having a laugh.

Infinitely better. 

Nobody asked me if I wanted to give a speech at my wedding, and I certainly wasn't going to ask to do it, so it just didn't happen. 

I couldn't have winged it. Well I could have, but I know would have forgotten to thank somebody, I needed some kind of structure. I think I only wrote mine a few days before hand though.

I think it's the easiest speech of the day. There's no pressure on you, you just thank people and talk about your beautiful bride, jobs a good 'un.

I always wonder why it's all the men that have to do speeches, does nobody want to hear from the bride or bridesmaids?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I couldn't have winged it. Well I could have, but I know would have forgotten to thank somebody, I needed some kind of structure. I think I only wrote mine a few days before hand though.

I think it's the easiest speech of the day. There's no pressure on you, you just thank people and talk about your beautiful bride, jobs a good 'un.

I always wonder why it's all the men that have to do speeches, does nobody want to hear from the bride or bridesmaids?

Probably a tradition thing as well.

Although I've been at more than one wedding where there have been speeches from women. 

Just do what you like. I'll have speeches at my wedding because that's one of the best parts of a wedding in my opinion. If you don't want to have them then don't do them.

In terms of the OP, if you've got writer's block or don't know what to say then keep it simple and as said above just thank who needs to be thanked, compliment your beautiful wife and leave it at that.

If you want something a bit more complicated or funny then try going on youtube and watching some other good Groom speeches and take some inspiration or steal some jokes from those.

• Like 1

I like to be creative and not do the same as everyone else so I did a best mans speech in which the first half was a game show with outfits, attractive assistants and audience participation. The second half was based around the film the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. 

It went down a storm on the day, but may have irreparably damaged a friendship in the longer term. We still see each other regularly but it's been brought up that I overstepped the mark about 100 times in the two years since. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I like to be creative and not do the same as everyone else so I did a best mans speech in which the first half was a game show with outfits, attractive assistants and audience participation. The second half was based around the film the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. 

It went down a storm on the day, but may have irreparably damaged a friendship in the longer term. We still see each other regularly but it's been brought up that I overstepped the mark about 100 times in the two years since. 

Suddenly @lapal_fan's best man speech doesn't seem too bad.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, villaglint said:

what was it about Benjamin Button that you did??? 

Â