Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

I really like petrov as person but apart from that the way he plays really fustrates me.

Never plays a forward ball which if were winning and trying to retain possesion is fine but its everytime.

He definitley gets tired after 60 mins so needs to be subbed but i think he should come on as a sub instead if were winning to hold the ball up a bit

Personally i would go for delph makoun it may not work but we have to try something different

There isnt to much choice but i would have given or collins as captain

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Petrov came to us, wasn't he a goal scoring, attacking CM? I was under the impression that he was, and that it didn't seem to work here, so MON switched him to more defensive and holding role. Did I misunderstand his pre-villa role?

I think you have that right.

Hes been a DM for Bulgaria for pretty much his entire international career. That for Celtic he was a goalscorer says more about the SPL than it does Petrov imo.

I think you have that right too. I remember his early games for Villa as an attacking midfielder and he was shocking, games just passed him by.

I actually think he's a very good holding player. He is very limited going forwards but he rarely gives the ball away and is a very effective tackler. He doesnt have the passing ability of Makoun, who I thought was our outstanding player last night (again) but he does do the simple 'housework' jobs very well.

I dont think Petrov is what we need in midfield - he takes too long on the ball for me and tires after 60/65 mins (and anyone who calls that a 'myth' is talking out of their arse!!).

I think he could be a very good squad player, coming of the bench with 15/20 mins left to help us see out results etc. For me, it's not that I think he's a poor player, I just feel that time has caught up with him.

I have no issue with the guy being club captain - he's a good professional and he seems to be a popular figure, but not if that means he has to play 90 mins every week.

Until Randy loosens the tightened purse-strings though, I think we'll be seeing Stan starting every week for at least another season!!

I hear a lot of this "passing the ball backwards" and "too much time on the ball" when it comes to Petrov. I think people have it slightly wrong. I'm not saying Petrov doesn't do those things - he does - but I don't think that's the problem.

We really do need someone in midfield to put a foot on the ball to look for an easy pass, change the tempo and retain possession because (Houllier excepted) we just don't have enough of the football in games.

The problem is that after passing the football to someone like, say, Collins - Petrov doesn't move. He doesn't provide an easy option. He doesn't try to make space. He just passes and walks. So what is Collins going to do? Well he's going to look elsewhere for a pass and it's usually a hoof.

So by doing the good work and giving an easy pass to keep possession, Petrov then undoes all his good work by standing still, thereby putting pressure on the one he just passed to. And that is the problem.

Before Petrov came to us, wasn't he a goal scoring, attacking CM? I was under the impression that he was, and that it didn't seem to work here, so MON switched him to more defensive and holding role. Did I misunderstand his pre-villa role?

I think you have that right.

srssmith is right and furthermore Petrov was played on the right of midfield by St.Martin for about 6-7 months. He would have have monumental rows with Melberg, also playing out of position, at right back.

We really do need someone in midfield to put a foot on the ball to look for an easy pass, change the tempo and retain possession because (Houllier excepted) we just don't have enough of the football in games.

We do have someone like that. His name is Jean II Makoun.

We do however need someone to win the ball back (and protect the back 4), then give the ball to Makoun.

We do however need someone to win the ball back (and protect the back 4), then give the ball to Makoun.

You mean somebody like Reo Coker?

No we mean someone unlike Reo Coker! :)

Petrov is, I propose, an intelligent, patient, player with lots of experience. He has decent skills and vision, so lots of managers have used him in different roles over his career. He's very careful with the ball which is a great asset.

I just feel like he's a square peg for what we need right now. We need more aggression and physicality in a DM. Unless, Herd or Hogg, or some other young-un can do it, he may be our best bet, because he's safe. But he's really not what we need there. Makoun and Delph are both too lightweight. For me, Reo-coker didn't have the quickness or occasional attacking threat.

That said, it's foolish to play Petrov if your reason is because you don't know who else could be captain. In today's game, the only official role of the captain is the coin toss. Beyond that leadership in a match comes from whoever will take it and is respected by his teammates. Arm band is irrelevant.

The same guy who gave the ball away in the first place forcing him to make a rash challenge and putting pressure on the defence.

• 2 weeks later...

He was excellent and him a Delph complimented each other really well and linked up well together. He played a number of stand out through balls to Bent as well.

As ever he led by example and gave his all but that pretty much goes with out saying now with Stan as he has never given less than 100%.

Quality performance today. There were groans in the build up for the 2nd goal because he didn't play it out wide quickly, instead he kept the ball a bit longer and played the ball inside which led to the goal.

Kept the ball well and some good forward passing to help create chances. Hope he can perform this well on a regular basis.

Quality performance today. There were groans in the build up for the 2nd goal because he didn't play it out wide quickly, instead he kept the ball a bit longer and played the ball inside which led to the goal.

Kept the ball well and some good forward passing to help create chances. Hope he can perform this well on a regular basis.

Agreed, however I always worry about his stamina, especially around the 70 minute mark.

Â