Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did well.. but so did Pires against Blackburn last season. I agree with some of the above I'll judge him against better midfielders or midfielders that actually close down.

Petrov has been consistently good in a Villa shirt since day one. The criticism he gets is usually from the numpties who think every good midfielder must score a 30 yard screamer every other game, and if you don't do that you're obviously shit.

Was my MOTM yesterday too. He was tiring towards the end & in normal circumstances, I think would have come off, but couldn't as we'd

used all our subs.

Right at the death he made an athletic interception to break up the opposition's play in midfield.

If I was him I'd have Mortimer's article now pinned to the back of my locker in the dressing room as added motivation!

Petrov played well today but I always judge the player when he's up against the better midfielders. Blackburn will probably go down so he did his job and did it well.

Petrov has made a superb contribution during his time at Villa, and definitely deserves the captains arm band. You must have seen him on numerous occasions against all standards of opposition, what's to judge?

Maybe we only realise what a good player Petrov is when he's injured and we play without him.

Petrov has been consistently good in a Villa shirt since day one. The criticism he gets is usually from the numpties who think every good midfielder must score a 30 yard screamer every other game, and if you don't do that you're obviously shit.

Scoring goals is not his remit.

That's not to say those that criticise him have no grounds. He did well yesterday but his movement off the ball is what gets my goat.

What I did see yesterday was Delph's movement off the ball. Often after he played a simple pass he simply moved a few metres to one side to allow an easy pass back. And he often got it.

Bannan is king at this. Have a look at how many touches he had in the lead up to our 3rd goal by simple passes and movement.

Both Bannan and Delph are doing this, but Petrov? Not enough for my liking. To often it's passed back to the defenders (which is a good thing) but he then stands still, meaning the backs end up hoofing.

And it is that aspect of his play that does my head in.

Did well.. but so did Pires against Blackburn last season. I agree with some of the above I'll judge him against better midfielders or midfielders that actually close down.

That's rubbish mate. Many of Petrov's detractors last season were favouring NRC over him - hardly looking at the 30 yard screamer replacement!!

He just doesn't have the energy, IMO, to play against the better, or even the more aggressive, sides that will close you down.

Both Bannan and Delph are doing this, but Petrov? Not enough for my liking. To often it's passed back to the defenders (which is a good thing) but he then stands still, meaning the backs end up hoofing.

If you listen to interview with Delph after yesterday's game he says him and Petrov are forming a really good understanding. He says what a great player

he is to learn from because of the hundreds of games he's played. Delph says " I learn something from him every day in training"

It's funny how MON, Kevin Mac, GH, Gary Mac and now Mcleish value a player such as Petrov and his place in the team, when most of the Villa fans knock him at every opportunity.

I wonder if hes been given a different role under AM. Involved in every goal yesterday i think. Carrying the ball forwards, shooting from range. We knock Petrov for his sideways and backwards passing but that could be the instructions hes been given. AM has gone on record saying he wants box to box midfielders not a holding player.

I noticed more the role and importance of Petrov when he was injured last year. He is always looking to take the ball off dunne and collins and bring others in. Players like Bannan need to learn that, the result otherwise is dunne and collins hoofing the ball forwards and constantly losing possession.

Very industrious yesterday. Blocked shots in defence, kept the ball well, involved in all three goals, made a terrific run into the Blackburn box where a better cross from Clark would have seen him through on goal with a free header on target. Would have been an great goal as the build up play was very good.

Really liked what I saw from Petrov yesterday. My MOTM.

Adding to what Julie said, iirc I think Delph has praised Petrov since day one at the club, obviosuly a great mentor to have around.

It was Stans 150th league start for us yesterday I believe and he is just a few games short of 200 appearances in all competetitions. If he continues to show the kind of form he has shown at the start of this season there will be many more to come. I certainly expect he'll start the vast majority of league games this season.

The guy is an inspiration to those around him and certainly to the young lads who all speak highly of him. He leads by example never giving less than his all. I'm proud that he as been associatted with our great club for so long and to have such a gentleman and great pro as Captain.

He is obviously a damn fine player as well and certainly underestimated by a small minority of our support but clearly those with in the game managers players etc both team mates and those opposing him know his worth as do most supporters.

If you listen to interview with Delph after yesterday's game he says him and Petrov are forming a really good understanding. He says what a great player

he is to learn from because of the hundreds of games he's played. Delph says " I learn something from him every day in training"

It's funny how MON, Kevin Mac, GH, Gary Mac and now Mcleish value a player such as Petrov and his place in the team, when most of the Villa fans knock him at every opportunity.

You mistake criticism for irrational hatred.

Petrov has one area of his game that requires attention. That is his movement off the ball.

It's great that other players can learn from him....

.. it's better still if he is still able to learn.

Why don't you just say you love the guy mark ;)

I would but I don't. I respect him though. He didn't have a great start with us, his debut aside, but he got his head down and battled his way in to the side and has kept himself there.

I like the fact that even when having a poor game, as all players do at times, he doesn't hide and still gives his all. I'm not sure I can remember a game where I could say Stan came off the pitch and hadn't given his all and put a shift in.

He is amodel pro. Simple as that and a great choice as Captain clearly shown by the fact a number of managers have chosen him to lead us. If we could have a squad of players with his attitude we'd be laughing.

In fact maybe I do love him :shock: :winkold:

It was always nailed on Stan would be starting the season it was just a case of who and how many would start alongside him in the centre of midfield. Delph has been given the nod and so far its working well. I see no reason why that won't continue with perhaps someone coming in alongside them in some games.

As Delph has said himself he really enjoys playing alongside Petrov and is learning from him every time they play together and everyday in training. For now and the future that has to be a good thing.

Always loved Stylian - and think Mr Mortimer is wide of the mark.. Quality CM but will agree with some that he cannot play the 90mins every week... 60/70 mins max then we need to freshen up. But, glad he is still playing and our captain.

Â