Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posts slating Petrov because his opposition was dross are wide of the mark. He's not responsible for who he plays against, he just has to perform against them. And he did against Blackburn.

That said, I'm concerned about his movement off the ball. He holds the ball up well and rarely surrenders possession, but some of his passes put our defense under pressure and he does not "give and go" to provide them an easy option for a return pass.

It's almost as if he doesn't want it.

bbiggest problem with NRC was that he could win the ball back, run forward with it, but then makes a fail pass, thus giving the opposition the space to play in behind him. Agreed, a bundle of energy though.

It would be a big problem if that happened ...but it didn't.

Some people on here take one bad game by NRC and extrapolate that over the next twenty when he wasn't poor. Usually the same people will take one good game by Petrov and extrapolate over the next twenty when he is dross.

I can see people dining out on Petrov's Blackburn game like they did with the Man City 1-0 for weeks of awful performances.

hate these Petrov vs NRC debates. Both are crap and i miss teh days of good centre midfielders like Barry and Milner

Both played along side Petrov and neither have reach the level of consistently good performances for their new employers - maybe just maybe it was Petrov doing all the unpleasant things that allowed these two to play to their full potential.

Not been biggest Stan's biggest fan in recent times but have to say his performance against Blackburn was his best in a long time.

Yes Blackburn are poor but Dunn and Nzonzi are by no means the worst part of their team.

Biggest difference for me was that Petrov had his head up and was looking to play probing balls rather than just continuously keep it moving. Nice to see him take some responsibility for building the play.

Looked good in what I saw of him in the Blackburn game. He and Delph both worked as a compact unit which was nice to see. I think he needs to managed well though, he seemed to play well last season after a bit of a rest.

Really played rather well on Saturday.

Was only when I saw the re run on football first that I clocked his involvement in the opening goal.

Will face tougher games where he will be more exposed by players running past him, but provided an assured foil for Delph's tenacity.

I'd rather have Petrov than Barry right now.

Really? Barry rather than Petrov all day long.

I really don't rate the Barry of the last couple of years.

Barry, IMO, is a far better player than Stan.

I think Barry's game has been hampered by City's tactics - playing him in a defensive three - and he would have thrived much more at Plop as Alonso's replacement in between Lucas and Gerard. This would have been the ideal system to showcase Barry's skills/style.

Did you see his strike yesterday?

Now he's had his one good performance of the month what do we do against the Dogheads on Saturday?

I think with the way weve set ourselves up, Petrov is beginning to get a little more respite, so is lasting a little longer.

Be interesting to see what happens on Saturday against wolves, because they will rough him up a bit, and with Jarvis ect, will try and stretch us out.

Its only Wolves, but they will be ours, and Petrovs first real test this season.

Â