Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

I'd give the captaincy to Luke Young and park Petrov's butt on the bench. It's just about curtains for Stan....

You'd give the captaincy to someone who sulked when asked to play on the other side of the pitch? He was also so grateful for the compassion shown him by the club too, then he'd easily have jumped ship to Liverpool until he realised they were only offering him half his wages.

As much as I think he's probably the best full back at the club right now, I don't think loyalty is his middle name, nor would you call him a clubman. On top of that I see his contract running out at the end of the year and not being renewed so appointing him captain for one year is a little pointless imo.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a history of saying negative things about Villa and often features in the press criticising some aspect or other of the club.
I remember him criticising ol cuddly ellis, but not Villa.

Dennis Mortimer is the most succesful Captain we have ever had and has a great affection still for Aston Villa, I had the privelage of spending a matchday with him a couple of years ago and he is a great guy who has passion & knowledge of the game.

He is only voicing his opinion, remember he was shipped out of this Club when Ellis decided both he & Bremner had to go and replaced them with Glover & Bradley at times,ending with relegation.

Petrov is not as effective as he used to be in our Midfield that is a fact however atm there is no other option as NRC was released and not replaced, hopefully AM will address this problem before it gets worse.

He has a history of saying negative things about Villa and often features in the press criticising some aspect or other of the club.

Thats my take too....never heard Dennis criticising the Villa.

I'd give the captaincy to Luke Young and park Petrov's butt on the bench. It's just about curtains for Stan....

You'd give the captaincy to someone who sulked when asked to play on the other side of the pitch? He was also so grateful for the compassion shown him by the club too, then he'd easily have jumped ship to Liverpool until he realised they were only offering him half his wages.

As much as I think he's probably the best full back at the club right now, I don't think loyalty is his middle name, nor would you call him a clubman. On top of that I see his contract running out at the end of the year and not being renewed so appointing him captain for one year is a little pointless imo.

Who really IS loyal, though? Gabby? But he's not captain material...It's slim pickings in terms of who is fit to wear the armband. All players have had a sulk from time to time, NRC is a classic case, but he was captain on several occasions. Young is a good player, and he's vocal on the pitch, directing players and whatnot. Mr. Molasses is just past his prime at this point...

Ridiculous in my opinion - Stan may not be a star or be the most imaginative of players but we'd miss him if he weren't there. He gets about and in my opinion is a good captain. The dressing room seem to look up to him as well.

As for Mortimer, there is no doubt he is a great player but he likes the sound of his own voice, & in truth he is a bit of a moron - he only says something when he is slagging someone off! Given that he has been such and influential part of our history he needs to stop being such a negative so and so and get behind the team.

I think it's been mentioned before but he did say in April 2006, just before a crucial local derby that would make us safe from relegation but plunge the scum into deeper trouble, that he thought the scum should win.

And here's something from 2009:

Villa legend hits out at O'Neill over his rotation policy and treatment of Agbonlahor

By Christopher Davies

Last updated at 5:41 PM on 16th March 2009

Former Aston Villa captain Dennis Mortimer believes Martin O'Neill has made mistakes with team selection and the way he has handled Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Mortimer, who led Villa to European Cup success in 1982, is against rotation, believes the fans were short-changed with the weakened UEFA Cup sides and that Agbonlahor should have been rested before the fans could get on his back.

Villa fans showed their feelings to the team and Agbonlahor as Tottenham Hotspur won 2-1 at Villa Park yesterday.

Mortimer said: 'What is happening with Agbonlahor has been coming. His style is all about pace, running in one direction towards the goal. If he's denied that a lot of his game is nullified. There might have been more man-management with him in recent weeks.'

Some Villa fans believe the arrival of Emile Heskey has had a negative effect on Agbonlahor but Mortimer said: "I don't think Heskey's made any difference to Agbonlahor's form.

'It's Agbonlahor who's responsible for his form. Martin O'Neill might have managed that situation a little better and taken him out of the side.'

Mortimer sympathises with the Villa fans who had hopes of a top-four finish.

He said: 'There is a lot of frustration at the moment because the fans have been feeling they can break into top four but it's coming a little unstuck.

'Some players' form is dipping which is a shame because they've done really well. Now we're seeing the squad not big enough or has the necessary quality.

'This has been a great opportunity to break into top four but all of a sudden looking like top four will be same top four again. The fans be very disappointed if it doesn't happen.

'In some ways the fans been short changed because Villa could have gone on in the UEFA Cup but played a weakened side against CSKA Moscow.

'The club not have not respected the wishes of fans by winning a trophy. They decided the Champions League was the goal but there is no trophy at the end of that.'

Mortimer cannot see the benefit of constantly changing the line-up. He added: 'Why not put your best team out every week and see what happens? Why change?

'There's a natural fallout with suspensions and injuries. Why do it every week? If players start to perform poorly then take them out of the team but until that happens stay with them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1162482/Villa-legend-hits-ONeill-rotation-policy-treatment-Agbonlahor.html#ixzz1U0XMr5ZK

This isn't anti-Ellis, it's just Mortimer trading on his reputation to get his half-baked views in the papers by slagging off whatever is going on at Villa at the moment.

There are lots of other examples of this sort of thing.

Give it to Collins

A bloke who gets pissed on a team bonding exercise and abuses the coaching staff, good choice!

So, that's Dunne out of contention as well!

I think this highlights a problem for this poll. It just asks the negative question, so it's easy to vote "no".

But if people had to vote for the person they would like as captain in his place, I wonder if anyone would get the 40+% that Petrov has mustered?

We all know the reason Stan is still captain is that we lack serious options. Stan knows it, McLeish knows it, Lerner knows it and we all know it.

I'd give it to Given but as he's new, won't happen. Dunne is a drunk, Young is not a serious option, Collins? No. Bent? Possibly. We lack leadership and sadly Petrov seem to be our central point

I think it's been mentioned before but he did say in April 2006, just before a crucial local derby that would make us safe from relegation but plunge the scum into deeper trouble, that he thought the scum should win.

And here's something from 2009:

Villa legend hits out at O'Neill over his rotation policy and treatment of Agbonlahor

By Christopher Davies

Last updated at 5:41 PM on 16th March 2009

Former Aston Villa captain Dennis Mortimer believes Martin O'Neill has made mistakes with team selection and the way he has handled Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Mortimer, who led Villa to European Cup success in 1982, is against rotation, believes the fans were short-changed with the weakened UEFA Cup sides and that Agbonlahor should have been rested before the fans could get on his back.

Villa fans showed their feelings to the team and Agbonlahor as Tottenham Hotspur won 2-1 at Villa Park yesterday.

Mortimer said: 'What is happening with Agbonlahor has been coming. His style is all about pace, running in one direction towards the goal. If he's denied that a lot of his game is nullified. There might have been more man-management with him in recent weeks.'

Some Villa fans believe the arrival of Emile Heskey has had a negative effect on Agbonlahor but Mortimer said: "I don't think Heskey's made any difference to Agbonlahor's form.

'It's Agbonlahor who's responsible for his form. Martin O'Neill might have managed that situation a little better and taken him out of the side.'

Mortimer sympathises with the Villa fans who had hopes of a top-four finish.

He said: 'There is a lot of frustration at the moment because the fans have been feeling they can break into top four but it's coming a little unstuck.

'Some players' form is dipping which is a shame because they've done really well. Now we're seeing the squad not big enough or has the necessary quality.

'This has been a great opportunity to break into top four but all of a sudden looking like top four will be same top four again. The fans be very disappointed if it doesn't happen.

'In some ways the fans been short changed because Villa could have gone on in the UEFA Cup but played a weakened side against CSKA Moscow.

'The club not have not respected the wishes of fans by winning a trophy. They decided the Champions League was the goal but there is no trophy at the end of that.'

Mortimer cannot see the benefit of constantly changing the line-up. He added: 'Why not put your best team out every week and see what happens? Why change?

'There's a natural fallout with suspensions and injuries. Why do it every week? If players start to perform poorly then take them out of the team but until that happens stay with them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1162482/Villa-legend-hits-ONeill-rotation-policy-treatment-Agbonlahor.html#ixzz1U0XMr5ZK

This isn't anti-Ellis, it's just Mortimer trading on his reputation to get his half-baked views in the papers by slagging off whatever is going on at Villa at the moment.

There are lots of other examples of this sort of thing.

DM speaking sense again. I don't see what you are trying to prove re posting this. It isn't anti-Villa, its his view and it makes a lot of sense to me: MON was wrong with his Moscow selection - I don't think you will find many Villa fans that disagree with that?? - and the signing of Heskey led to a difficult time for Gabby as he was unable to adjust quickly to playing with a striker that pushes up against the CB.

DM speaking sense again. I don't see what you are trying to prove re posting this. It isn't anti-Villa, its his view and it makes a lot of sense to me: MON was wrong with his Moscow selection - I don't think you will find many Villa fans that disagree with that?? - and the signing of Heskey led to a difficult time for Gabby as he was unable to adjust quickly to playing with a striker that pushes up against the CB.

So you agree with Mortimer that rotation is a bad thing and you should play your strongest 11 every week? I think this represents a big conversion from your previous views!

Also, if you read his comments more carefully, you will see he is NOT saying Heskey was responsible for Gabby's drop in form. He blames Gabby and says MON should have dropped him.

Mortimer's rant above is inconsistent - some of the things he says contradict others - and he is playing his usual game of trying to pick up on any theme he thinks will be popular with some dissident fans, no matter how negative the impact might be on the morale of the squad or Villa's image. He rarely says anything supportive of Villa.

Do you also agree with him that it would have been best for SHA to win the derby in April 2006?

MON was wrong with his Moscow selection - I don't think you will find many Villa fans that disagree with that??

I disagree with that

Seems GH did too. He went TWO louder, he did the same in the League and FA Cups too

UEFA Cup is a poisoned chalice, not worth the coke you can fill it with

The Domestic cups are heading that way too

Â