Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

I totally agree and would have put this in the 100+ page Petrov thread but it is locked.

Short link

Villa legend wants Stiliyan Petrov axe

Tuesday 2nd August 2011, 10:25AM BST.

Villa legend wants Stiliyan Petrov axe

Tweet

Villa legend Dennis Mortimer believes the club should axe captain Stiliyan Petrov before the big Premier League kick-off.

Experienced Bulgarian midfielder Petrov has held the armband since August 2009 having taken over the role from Martin Laursen and Gareth Barry.

But former European Cup winning captain Mortimer thinks it might be time for a change of skipper and install a candidate who can offer more drive from the centre of midfield.

Mortimer said: “To be honest, I’ve never been a fan of Stiliyan Petrov – I think he is just a ‘Steady Eddie’ as it were.

“I, personally, wouldn’t have him in the team. I don’t think he has the right capacity or the right style that I would want him in my team.

“At the top level, you need someone who is a bit more than a ‘Steady Eddie’ and especially as your captain.

“To me you need to generate momentum in games by the quickness of play and of mind and, for me, Petrov takes half an hour to pass the ball.

“OK, so that is an exaggeration, but you get my point.”

EDIT by BOF : I've shortened the link and reproduced the article as the guidelines suggest. I've also removed the post on poster despite the explicit reason for locking the Petrov thread being given in ... the Petrov thread. It had gone way off topic. Carry on.

EDIT by Bicks: Poll Added

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Petrov bashing needs to Stop

Im sorry but he is shite. He deserves it. Just because hes a model pro and all round nice bloke doesnt mean we should sweep his limitations as a footballer under the carpet. Especially when i see people slagging Makoun off and hes been here 5 minutes. Hes shown enough in that short time that hes better than Petrov, so fair is fair when it comes to 'bashing'

Don't disagree with all of what Mortimer says, but I wouldnt be dropping him from the captaincy, nor the team. Here's why:

1 - He has been one of only a very select few number of players to act with any professionalism over the past few years. Infact, in terms of professionalism, he stands head and shoulders above anyone else at the club.

2 - Our squad simply isnt strong enough to take him out of central midfield. He is the only player to provide decent cover for the defense, and replacing him with Delph, Bannan or Ireland would be a mistake at this time.

3 - Who else would we have as captain? Dunne? Collins? Agbonlahor?

4 - Probably the only player to provide any leadership on the pitch. Despite what people may think, Dunne is fairly quiet on the field.

NB: He may have been pap against Chelsea, but let's not use that as the basis for dismissing him as a player.

Im sorry but he is shite. He deserves it. Just because hes a model pro and all round nice bloke doesnt mean we should sweep his limitations as a footballer under the carpet. Especially when i see people slagging Makoun off and hes been here 5 minutes. Hes shown enough in that short time that hes better than Petrov, so fair is fair when it comes to 'bashing'

Although I like Petrov myself, despite certain flaws in his game, I totally agree with your last point.

Mortimer knpows what hes on about. This just sums it up for me...

“To me you need to generate momentum in games by the quickness of play and of mind and, for me, Petrov takes half an hour to pass the ball.

Petrov is detrimental to the team as a whole. Slows everything down and cant make a forward pass for toffee. Takes half hour fannying about with the ball then passes back to the CB's. Would be more suited to playing in Italy where you get more time on the ball

Makoun? He hasn't shown anything like that IMO. Still finding his feet here and hopefully he will settle in the coming season.

As for Petrov we need a CM now. His time in the starting XI should be coming to an end but, like LondonLax says, he is still the best CM we have on the books. Which isn't being complimentary to him to be honest.

Disagreed. Problem over the past few seasons has been lack of posession because everyone in the team has been too direct and we've never really had the chance to build attacks. Petrov actully tries to keep posession, we need that.

Good old Sir Dennis, he's been a bit quiet recently

Whilst he has a point in that Petrov would not be first choice in a team with higher ambitions, I think he is right for a team like us

However, if we were to "axe" him, who would we replace him with? I wonder if Dennis is doing anything on Saturday afternoons

I think this coming season, Petrov will be more important to us than at any other point in his Villa career

We will need his leadership and on-field qualities, sitting infront of the back 4, breaking up play, holding the ball, switching the play etc

On his day, a class act

Nice to see Mortimer sticking his head above the parapet again when the chips are down

He wants to see us progress as much as any of us here do. Hes just telling it like it is. We will never move forward with the likes of Stan Petrov in the team (pun intended)

he is still the best CM we have on the books

Simply not true. And if it were, we would be right in the shit.

Well I'll agree to disagree there. With NRC no longer with us we have very weak CM options at the moment.

Â