Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

Whats wrong with Richard Dunne as captain anyway?!?! Or Shay Given for that matter?

Personally, I wouldn't have him as captain because I don't believe he's an automatic starter. Collins and Clarke, Cuellar is still here at the moment.. I'm sure McLeish has a good idea at the moment of who our centre backs will be, but Dunne just isn't assured of a place in my opinion.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makoun has had one good game since he arrived and that was his debut.

Concidentally, at the end of Petrov's first season, we were all saying exactly the same.

I wish the player who played against West Ham had stayed for the rest of his Villa career.

Makoun's contributed nothing to Villa since his debut. Petrov has been vital to us ever since he arrived. You only have to see how sh#t we were last season when he was injured and how we improved once he became fit again.

If you can't see that you mustn't have watched the same Villa as I did last season.

We were at our worst last season when Petrov was out of the team. Once he came back in we picked up, so he can't be as bad as you make out.

Nice theory but you're wrong. Competitive games last season:

With Petrov (Petrov started 24 as follows)

P. 24.……W.8….….D.7……..L.9……..F.28……..A.36…….

He did not start in the other 22 as follows

(Without Petrov)

P. 22.……W.8….….D.6……..L.8……..F.35……..A.34…….

(Courtesy of Dudley Villan.)

Dunne is the vice captain if pre-season is anything to go by. I'd put money on our default central pairing from the start being Dunne & Collins. That's aside from the captaincy discussion. Just saying :)

We were at our worst last season when Petrov was out of the team. Once he came back in we picked up, so he can't be as bad as you make out.

Nice theory but you're wrong. Competitive games last season:

With Petrov (Petrov started 24 as follows)

P. 24.……W.8….….D.7……..L.9……..F.28……..A.36…….

He did not start in the other 22 as follows

(Without Petrov)

P. 22.……W.8….….D.6……..L.8……..F.35……..A.34…….

(Courtesy of Dudley Villan.)

What do those stats look like when it's just league games?

I voted No, for me Petrov does indeed break our play up more often than not, rather than keep moves flowing, no point having a 119/120 pass completion if 100 are backwards. Off the ball he does try hard, I'll give him that, but he just dissapears for me running between our defence and midfield picking up no one half the time.

Last seasons surge wasn't Petrov related directly, I think it was formation related, we stopped pi s sing about and reverted to a 442, which we should never have changed from so quickly. Yes, in came the old guard again and we were stable. Just shows that if we want to move away from the direct counter attacking, soaking up pressure for 80 mins of a game tactic we need better ball players in the middle, which for me Stan is not the solution if we want to move up the gears.

I voted No, for me Petrov does indeed break our play up more often than not, rather than keep moves flowing, no point having a 119/120 pass completion if 100 are backwards. Off the ball he does try hard, I'll give him that, but he just dissapears for me running between our defence and midfield picking up no one half the time.

Last seasons surge wasn't Petrov related directly, I think it was formation related, we stopped pi s sing about and reverted to a 442, which we should never have changed from so quickly. Yes, in came the old guard again and we were stable. Just shows that if we want to move away from the direct counter attacking, soaking up pressure for 80 mins of a game tactic we need better ball players in the middle, which for me Stan is not the solution if we want to move up the gears.

But we're not gonna replace him with a signing, so what are we gonna do? Replace him with either Makoun or Ireland?

I shudder to think how poor our midfield would be with either one of those as a replacement.

Who gives a ****. The Captain is mainly just a figurehead these days and very rarely inspires the team. The armband is even used as a bribe by managers to try to keep their best players sweet even when they are the last person in the team that should be made Captain.

I am a bit disappointed that DM chose to get a cheap shot of publicity by launching a pointless attack on Stan

Yeah, hes obviously making this stuff up so he can get his name in the papers the big publicity whore. Its just jelousy at the end of the day, Mortimer was never as good as Stan is.

:notsure:

Whether Mortimer was a good player 30 years ago doesn't really come into this. He has a history of saying negative things about Villa and often features in the press criticising some aspect or other of the club. He may well have good cause to feel bitter about the way Villa treated him but he just tarnishes his image in my eyes by coming out with stuff like this.

BTW, when he says "I, personally, wouldn’t have him in the team.", the only team he has actually managed to my knowledge was Redditch United so he doesn't exactly speak from a wealth of knowledge, experience and achievement in football management and choosing a good captain.

the only team he has actually managed to my knowledge was Redditch United so he doesn't exactly speak from a wealth of knowledge, experience and achievement in football management and choosing a good captain.

Yeah, but Redditch United fans to this day refer to his time there as "The glory years".

I just totally made that up, obviously.

Dennis Mortimer can offer a decent valid opinion on the possition he played..He knows what to look for and what a captain in that possition should offer the team.

Fair play if he was making an assessment on a Goalkeeper or a Centre Forward, you could take his opinion as of anyone's. But Dennis knows his trade as a captain playing in Central midfield.

Mortimer is one the greats who played for us but has no managerial nous and doesn't have a valuable opinion on players IMO.

Because his opinion is different to yours you mean?

And it has nothing to do with managerial nous. Im sure an ex player knows a good player when he sees one.

It dosnt take too much knowledge to see Petrov is crap as club captain. He never offers any drive to go for the win..Look at Roy Keane and the way he urged the team to win...You need a born winner that cares about the club to captain the side.. I grant you he cares for Villa but he isnt a born winner.. Look how Clark played against City to urge "himself" on to get the equaliser. The same when we played Arsenal at home and he scored twice, again he was driving forward with his sleaves rolled up constantly looking to get a result for the team...Clark will make a great captain one day because thats the mark of a winner for the team. I would even stick him in now alongside Cuellar as CB "and" as captain.Removing all these old wannabe's in Dunne, Collins and Warnock that think they are God's gift to a starting place.

Â