Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.....we only beat Citeh that night because Stan 'captain marvel' Petrov was in the team.

Behave.

Yeah well that's quite clearly not what I said. He was a big reason that we won though and most will agree that he was MOTM that night.

If i remember correctly, we we're very lucky to have got a point out of that game let alone 3.

Man City battered us. Cant remember Petrov doing a great deal but thats pretty standard when it comes to Petrov. Im sure one of our CB's got MOTM that night

As has been mentioned before, all you need to do is look at games where Stan has not played in and see how we have fared without him. Petrov doesn't necessarily always stand out at what he does but what he does, he does it well and is part of the team. In the past 3 years it has been proven that whenever he is not in the side we have struggled for fluidity and movement through midfield.

He does not do the spectacular but he is always there to pick the ball up off defence etc, without which the team would not be able to function... As has been said before, 3 managers can't be wrong.

As has been mentioned before, all you need to do is look at games where Stan has not played in and see how we have fared without him. Petrov doesn't necessarily always stand out at what he does but what he does, he does it well and is part of the team. In the past 3 years it has been proven that whenever he is not in the side we have struggled for fluidity and movement through midfield.

He does not do the spectacular but he is always there to pick the ball up off defence etc, without which the team would not be able to function... As has been said before, 3 managers can't be wrong.

Really? Does he? I don't think so. I'd argue we play far much uglier with him in the side because of his reluctance to regularly look for the ball (he looks on occasions) and then secondly move the ball quicker into more threatening areas. Petrov is a good defensive midfielder, reads the game well, picks attacks off but he certainly doesn't get us playing. I think from a defensive point of view, he improves us right now but not from a playing sense. In fact, in our last two seasons, both our biggest wins have come with him not in the team. He only missed 1 game in the 09-10 season as well!

I'm not a big fan and have said already (probably on this thread) he wouldn't make my starting eleven. However in his defence I remember him scoring the equaliser away at Palace in the cup that eventually got us through the tie when I was sure we were going out that day.

Lombardo's point ' In the past 3 years it has been proven that whenever he is not in the side we have struggled for fluidity and movement through midfield' might be key if it wasn't for the fact that we also struggle for fluidity and movement when he is in the team. The simple fact is that our central midfield has been poor since Milner left.

The solution? Either someone will have to come good (Gardner, Delph, Makoun) or we need to get Parker / McDonald Mariga.

(My turn to sound like a broken record)

I voted yes. I think he has peaked like I have said previously but I cant see another leader of any better calibre in the squad. Who should be captain might be a better poll, I think you'd realise there arent really any better candidates for it.

I voted yes. I think he has peaked like I have said previously but I cant see another leader of any better calibre in the squad. Who should be captain might be a better poll, I think you'd realise there arent really any better candidates for it.

If I get the chance later I'll start that topic. it'll be a far more interesting debate than this trudge through peoples prejudices over and over again

It depends on the team he puts out, on who should be captain.

ie, In this team Clark would make a great captain.

-------------Given------------

Young-Cuellar-Clark-Delph

------Makoun--Gardner----

Albrighton-Bannan-N'zogbia

------------Bent--------------

The problem we have is that alot of our players think they are better than they are. Dunne, Warnock, Collins, Petrov and Heskey etc would all be livid to be captained by a young player like Clark(even though he is the best choice)...Yet Players like Albrighton, Bannan, Gardner, Delph and Cuellar would respect and understand the reasons behind such a decission.

The problem we have is that alot of our players think they are better than they are. Dunne, Warnock, Collins, Petrov and Heskey etc would all be livid to be captained by a young player like Clark(even though he is the best choice)...Yet Players like Albrighton, Bannan, Gardner, Delph and Cuellar would respect and understand the reasons behind such a decission.

How do you know they would all be livid? and how do you know the others would respect the decision?

you don't, Clark shouldn't be a regular anyway so no way should he be captain.

How do you know they would all be livid? and how do you know the others would respect the decision?

you don't, Clark shouldn't be a regular anyway so no way should he be captain.

Hasnt Clark captained the reserves?

Not sure what it adds to the debate but after checking all of the VT ratings threads for the league games, Petrov received one MOTM selection over the entire season (against Newcastle) - so as good as some say he is, there was usually someone playing better.

Not sure what it adds to the debate but after checking all of the VT ratings threads for the league games, Petrov received one MOTM selection over the entire season (against Newcastle) - so as good as some say he is, there was usually someone playing better.

but I'll guess he was up there in most matches he played in

From memory, he was up there in a few, but not as many as you would think.

He is by no means rubbish, but he's no world-beater either, ie. just a "steady-eddie", as Mortimer rightly describes him.

Petrov is a 'steady eddie' and the best midfielder at the club. That statement is very worrying!

I am fast realising that we are lucky to have AM as manager as a good one wouldn't come to us if he looked at the shit that MON and Houllier had left us with (and on such high wages)!!

Nice guy, decent captain but shouldnt be near the first team IMO. I think he'll be a good coach but he is having less and less of an impact upon games and needs replacing. He was slow at best of times, but his brand of sideways/backwards passing slows us down. He should be on the bench at most this year.

How different our team/squad would be if we could just swap Petrov for Parker.

We would have a much more dynamic midfield.I think Parker could play with any of the other central midfielders and be a fantastic captain and role-model for the youngsters. However, I dont think the board will sanction a £7m+ fee and £70,000 a week wages for a 30 year old.

Â