Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Great hit, really pleased for him.

As others have said really needs regular game time, looks rusty as hell but that is no surprise when he's barely played in the last 2 and a bit seasons.

There is definitely a player in there. Hope he gets a loan but not sure as a couple of injuries and we'd need him.

Woodytom on the wind-up again I see.

Gardner is clearly one of the brightest prospects we've ever had to come through our academy - at that level he was absolutely exceptional and that's a fact.

The problem however, is his ability to make the step up. He hasn't shown much if anything of note in his first team appearances and he's been really unlucky with injuries.

The jury is still out and lets hope he fulfills the potential he has. 

He looks like he's a better footballer than his older brother, but I'm concerned that the injuries he's had at such a young age will set him back.  It's not always the people who look exceptional in the youth team who go on to be the biggest successes either, eg Delfouneso and maybe Albrighton.

That will be a big thing for Gary in getting that goal last night but he'll know it's just a preseason goal and in the grand scheme of things means nothing. He will continue to work hard because that's the kind of guy he is.

Some great passing moves there. I can't tell which one i like better, Helenius slicing through the defense to set Weimann loose for Benteke or the passing move leading to Grealish going through.

• Like 1

Some great passing moves there. I can't tell which one i like better, Helenius slicing through the defense to set Weimann loose for Benteke or the passing move leading to Grealish going through.

Helenius playing a big part in both. Though the first ball was maybe a touch heavy it was excellent vision and that flick is sexual.

• 3 weeks later...

i said to my man utd mate the other day that gary will be better than craig, but he wouldnt have it, but i did also remind him that craig had spent most of last season at full back as well, so he cant be that good a midfielder

Â