Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

He wont get many chances.. we should have sent him out on loan for a month or two as he needs games to blow the cobwebs out. Even Delph improved under Lambert. I think Gardner and Albrighton will improve if they avoid injury. Both have been unlucky as has Jordan Graham who is out again till October with injury.

I predict he will get a fair amount of minutes in early pre-season.   If he shows enough to be in contention for a midfield slot he'll stick around.   If it's obvious he's not up to speed he'll go out on loan for a few months with the thought of having another look at him if he does well.

Last preseason he looked very average at best. I hope he does better this time around. I have high hopes for Gardner as do many here. I'd really love to see him earn a starting spot this season. He is one of the few large midfielders we have at the club right now. 

Last preseason he looked very average at best. I hope he does better this time around. I have high hopes for Gardner as do many here. I'd really love to see him earn a starting spot this season. He is one of the few large midfielders we have at the club right now. 

Was he injured last pre-season?

I don't think this guy will even be as good as his brother. One of the poorest academy players I have seen.

You need to qualify your statement by telling us how many academy players you have seen. Did you mean academy players that have made it to our first team?

I don't think this guy will even be as good as his brother. One of the poorest academy players I have seen.

I couldn't disagree more. Gary is a bigger, quicker and more technical version of Craig imo. I watched both of the Gardner brothers develop through academy and reserve football and have a high opinion of both of them. If Craig had been a couple of yards quicker he could have become a Villa icon (again imo).

Gary has been cursed by two serious injuries at a time when he should have been making a first team spot his own. I would say that GG can still become our version of Stevie Gerrard if he can avoid further injuries. However, if he does sustain another serious injury we may never see him fulfil his undoubted potential.

• Like 1

You need to qualify your statement by telling us how many academy players you have seen. Did you mean academy players that have made it to our first team?

Yes, basically. Hes been awful once in the first team.

You've made your decision on an academy player who's had 2 major injuries after 5 starts in the first team in McLeish's team?

Words fail me.

Right, whats your point?

Shall I sit here and bang on for another 2 years about how good he is going to be? Only for him to get injured again and produce literally nothing!

For whatever reason, he has proved zero. Thats the point. Doesnt matter why/how - So far he has been a waste of time.

Pathetic that people call me a troll for speaking what is essentially the truth. I would love to know what people have seen over the last couple of years that make people think he is going to be good, because there is nothing that gets away from an injury prone player who offers zero.

He hasn't proved anything in FIVE BLOODY STARTS.

I'm not trying to sit here and say how good he's going to be, but I'm going give him a chance when he actually gets a chance to prove himself and not 5 starts in a ridiculously negative team. Writing him off after (and I need to repeat this FIVE starts) is completely ridiculous. In fact, not just writing him off and saying he might not make it, but calling him one of THE WORST academy players you've ever seen.

Completely and utterly ridiculous.

Look at Delph. Hardly had a chance because of injuries and he was being written off. Then he got a run in the team and he's been playing really well. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

For whatever reason, he has proved zero. Thats the point. Doesnt matter why/how - So far he has been a waste of time.

It really does.

It really doesn't.

You win nothing for having players who might be good but are injured.

It really does.

It really doesn't.

You also don't get anywhere writing off young players because they've been out injured.

• Like 1

It really does.

It really doesn't.

I don't think there's any might about it, he has more than proven he has got talent with his performances for the reserves and England - but when the time has come for him to step into the first team he has been unlucky with injuries and with the wrong manager in Mcleish. He hasn't stood out in the very limited time he has had in the first team, but with the way things were at the time I didn't expect him to. This is the perfect time for him to stake a claim now with the right manager who will give him a shot.

It really does.

It really doesn't.

You also don't get anywhere writing off young players because they've been out injured.

I did that did I? Or did I just say that from what I don't think he will be as good as his brother - based on the fact he is injury prone/he is yet to show anything.

Saying that he's been a waste of time, sounds like writing someone off, without saying 'I've written him off'. Though of course, you could argue it isn't.

I don't think he's been a waste of time. His long shot, that was knocked into Weimann's path, for him to bundle in the goal against Fulham was a pretty import goal under McLeish's 'management', if I remember correctly.

That alone, is enough for me to think he's not been a waste of time. He's just extremely unlucky (or injury prone!)

• Like 1

Personally I think GG is shot. I havent been impressed at all by him whenever he has featured in the first team. This is his all or nothing year now. He needs to perform well and stay fit all season. Sadly i think he will get injured again and will get released on a free. Sadly for the lad I think his injuries have been too serious at a crucial stage of his development.

People said the same things about Delph a year or so ago, and he'd had way more chances to show his abilities than GG has!

Delph was struck down by a few serious injuries, so GG will see that with hard work, it's possible to come back and make a claim for a first team spot!

I'm worried for Gardner, like I was for Delph. But I still have faith that he COULD get stronger and play regularly.

He hasn't shown much when playing for the first team, apart from that he has a decent engine and long-shot. But his appearances for England and the Reserves show that there is more to his game. He can take a mean free kick and is supposedly a decent all-rounder, with his passing and tackling.

Â