Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Watford have asked to take Gary Gardner on loan but #AVFC refused & want to see what GG can do in last year of his contract

Think it shows that Lambert and the coaches are giving him this chance and he will be in and around the starting line up this year. I think GG is a wonderful talent having watched him a lot in the Next gen and really hope he takes the step up yet i fear this season is his final chance, just hope he stays injury free!

Bit concerning he is in the last year of his contract. I know he shouldn't be on the reported Banna/Delfouneso wages, but would think we should have him sorted out by now.

He's missed practically two years of development, not just missing first team opportunities but not even playing reserve football.

On top of that his knees have both been rebuilt and won't operate in the same way as before.

I think it will be a big achievement to come back from these injuries and make a career as a premier league player let alone become a star.

Sadly this - his Injuries are a serious concern - and when he has fleetingly made the first team he has looked of the pace. Surprised we declined the loan to watford - have a feeling he will go out on loan before the season gets to old.

I'm fairly relaxed about his contract situation too. As others say above, his injuries will have hampered more than just his first team opportunities. Basically, if he plays to his potential then he'll walk into a new contract. If he doesn't then he won't. I'm relaxed because I think he's got the ability, but if the body ain't willing then there's little point in the club offering the contract in the first place. After all, the club can't wait around forever either.

I'm not saying that there's nothing to fuss over but I've never seen what the fuss is all about with Gardner. This could be due to injuries, playing under a negative manager etc, but personally I couldn't name you any particularly good first team performances from Gary.

I do hope to be proved wrong, but I personally see more potential in Carruthers, and that's coming from a 20 minute cameo against Manchester United.

Hopefully with a full pre-season under his belt he can kick on, but I just can't see who he will replace in the team,

Delph, Sylla and Westwood were playing very well as a unit at the end of the season.

Hopefully with a full pre-season under his belt he can kick on, but I just can't see who he will replace in the team,

Delph, Sylla and Westwood were playing very well as a unit at the end of the season.

I agree.

And on top of that, we have Bacuna coming in for midfield cover, and probably an Attacking midfielder at some point (if the rumours are to be believed). He is going to have to play his way into the team, and that won't be easy, because he's going to be at the back of a rather long queue. 

I'd like to give him one more season to prove his worth

If he can hold down a regular place in the side ahead of all the competition he has on his hands he deserves a new contract

Forget it lads! He's in his last year of his contract, he'll play superbly, then leave for nothing!!!!! It's obvious! If he wasn't leaving next summer, he would have signed a new deal by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Players aren't loyal like us. They're not Villa fans!!!!

;)

I'm not saying that there's nothing to fuss over but I've never seen what the fuss is all about with Gardner. This could be due to injuries, playing under a negative manager etc, but personally I couldn't name you any particularly good first team performances from Gary.

I do hope to be proved wrong, but I personally see more potential in Carruthers, and that's coming from a 20 minute cameo against Manchester United.

At first team level he hasn't done it. To be fair he has had limited pitch time. The harsh reality is that how often you are injured has a bearing on if a club will want to retain you. His promise isn't about his performances at first team - but he was supposed to be in a different class for the reserves.  He really has to make his mark somewhere this season. There are quite a few midfielders ahead of him, now at villa, so its not going to be easy.

• Like 1

God I never though he was coming into the last year of his contract! I hope he can stay injury free if so I fully expect him to flourish under a positive manager in Lambert! Looking forward to seeing him next season!

Im not worried by the contract situation because if he does well (which i have high hopes he will) then Villa will offer him a new one before the end of the season which He'll be likely to accept. He will 'owe' villa a lot for his development and helping him through his injury. plus he is an actual heart on sleeve villa fan so should be easy to keep at the club! 

I wish him all the best next season and hope he lives up to all the expectations.

Heard he is a box to box midfielder who scores goals and can pick a pass.

Maybe they'll give him a go in the AM position?

Â