Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Got high hopes for Big Gards.

Has the potential to nail down a spot in the first 11 next season.

plus 1

i also prefer him to bannan

i think we need to give him a run of games because sylla westy and delph never look like scoring

if dlph could actualy finish he would be amazing

don't think we've seen the best from delph just yet, he used to score some blinders. 

hopefully gardner will get a full preseason and we don't need to drop him in the deep end like we had to do with delph. the fact that our coaching staff have managed to turn delphs career around with us is a very good sign thoguh for gardner's recovery from injury. lets not forget delph and gardner have both had the sort of injury that 20-25 years ago could have ended a career. 

maybe bannan has only been given a chance this season due to gardners long term injury and to raise the value of bannan to sell him this summer?

or is this me just hoping?

What are we to expect from GG?

When fit, will he be like a new signing in the midfield, or will he be a squad player and occasional starter? Apart from the season under TSM where nobody excelled, I have no real clue what level this lad is (or could be) at.

Hard to say as he hasnt got enough game time under his belt.

Before his initial injury, Gardner had all the makings to be the next Gerrard / Lampard. Potentially that good. Rumours of Madrid and Inter looking at him. At the same age of about 16/17 Gardner was as good as, possibly better than Wilshere at the same age.

Then he did his knee in, was gone for a year and a knee injury, especially one as bad as he took, can really put a spanner in the works of any player, especially a young player at such a vital time of his career.

However, he came back, made an OK appearance vs Chelsea in preseason and then got a loan to Coventry, performed quite well for a month for them, got himself a goal within about 20 minutes of his debut for them too. His prem appearances after coming back from Coventry weren't that great but he was being played very deep in midfield, which isn't really his entire game. However, for the youth side, he absolutely tore apart a very good Ajax side in the Next Gen, scoring a hatrick, and scored 2 goals in as many minutes for England U21 (2 glorious goals too). 

So the kid still has the talent, he can still make the step up, but he then did his other knee in. Again out for 8 months. So he's now had two very big injuries for a young player and theres no telling where he will come out of it and whether or not he will be able to come past these injury issues.

If he can come through them we have a very, very special player on our hands. It's also possible we have a injury prone midfielder who wont live up to his potential because of those very injuries. I imagine that the reality will lie somewhere in the middle, a useful first team player who will be a good player for us. Hopefully better than his brother Craig but not quite up to the Gerrard/Lampard potential that he has.

• Like 3

He has been out for a long time, but now he can get a full preseason under his belt and show Lambert what he is made of... Some of the criticism of Bannan has been way over the top... but from what I have seen of Gardner, he is more worthy of a first team place than Bannan 100%.... Come on Gary.... Stay injury free and show your brother what being a Villa player is really about!

• Like 1

He has been out for a long time, but now he can get a full preseason under his belt and show Lambert what he is made of... Some of the criticism of Bannan has been way over the top... but from what I have seen of Gardner, he is more worthy of a first team place than Bannan 100%.... Come on Gary.... Stay injury free and show your brother what being a Villa player is really about!

We've yet to see the best of him in the first team. He's just got to stay injury free and maybe he will come on like Delph has this season. Did his brother want to leave Villa or was he forced out because of lack of first team opportunities, either way you cant blame him.

All I've seen are his awful first team appearances so I'm a bit baffled by all the hype. He's obviously highly regarded by the coaching staff at the club, so lets hope his career finally kicks off.

that was under the McLeish reign of terror and Gardner was sort of forced on him through injuries. What Lambert has done with Delph means im quite excited to see if he can get Gardner playing to his potential

He has an horrendous time, but hey the talking has to stop at some time....potential is a short lived thing, its a time when reality has to kick in

He needs to make his mark.

Gary Gardner, is going to be a player we all thought he would be or not.

time for show me don't tell me.

We've yet to see the best of him in the first team. He's just got to stay injury free and maybe he will come on like Delph has this season. Did his brother want to leave Villa or was he forced out because of lack of first team opportunities, either way you cant blame him.

Yeah you can... Anyone who willingly leaves us to join the Blues clearly never had this club in his heart... Leave to go anywhere you like... but not to aid our arch rivals... If it came to playing for the Blues or jacking in football altogether, I would ask for a mop and bucket... Either that or end up going down in history as their all time record own-goal scorer :-D

He's missed practically two years of development, not just missing first team opportunities but not even playing reserve football.

On top of that his knees have both been rebuilt and won't operate in the same way as before.

I think it will be a big achievement to come back from these injuries and make a career as a premier league player let alone become a star.

• 1 month later...
Â