Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Anyone else read the Sky Sports scout report they wrote on him a couple of years back? States that his potential value is £40 million. Seems unlikely he'll be worth that much, but from what I've seen I think he has a good chance of making it here, and I really hope he does.

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/scout/15198/7328163/Sky-Sports-Scout-Gary-Gardner

He was supposedly wanted by Inter Milan at one point (but Clark was supposedly wanted by Man Utd, and Reo-Coker's agent reckoned that he was wanted by AC Milan).

He was featured in an article (Dail Mail, I think) years ago in 'England's hottest midfielder prospects', with Wilshere, Shelvey and John Bostock.

Also, he's always been talked up as being better than his brother. So who knows!?

He could be the next Paul Scholes, he could be the next Jimmy Bullard. I hope he's not the next Isiah Osbourne.

...EDIT... *winkey smiley inserted to stop people taking it too seriously when I saw he could be the next Paul Scholes*

;)

Edited by Rob182

I don't think this guy will even be as good as his brother. One of the poorest academy players I have seen.

I couldn't disagree more. Gary is a bigger, quicker and more technical version of Craig imo. I watched both of the Gardner brothers develop through academy and reserve football and have a high opinion of both of them. If Craig had been a couple of yards quicker he could have become a Villa icon (again imo).

Gary has been cursed by two serious injuries at a time when he should have been making a first team spot his own. I would say that GG can still become our version of Stevie Gerrard if he can avoid further injuries. However, if he does sustain another serious injury we may never see him fulfil his undoubted potential.

Great post.  I always rated Craig and I still believe Gary can make it too in our first team, if not it will be down to seriously bad luck.  I would have loved Craig to come back to Villa when it was mooted a couple of windows back too.  All action heart of his sleeve type of midfield that never gave up.  We seriously lack goal from midfield too.

I can't say i am not worried about Gary getting another injury.  I hope he can look to Delph as a shining example of things being turned around in exactly the was they need to for him.  He does have the ability and he loves the club which is why people still hold out big hope for him.

i too would like him to make the grade, so many of our youngsters have looked like shining stars whilst being in the academy, then flopped once theyve stepped up, it seems they only succeed and do well for themselves once they move on, only gabby really from the past few years has carried on his great commitment and performance to the club

with a choice of bacuna, gardner, carruthers, and delph i suppose, theyve all got a chance to shine

Woodytom on the wind-up again I see.

Gardner is clearly one of the brightest prospects we've ever had to come through our academy - at that level he was absolutely exceptional and that's a fact.

The problem however, is his ability to make the step up. He hasn't shown much if anything of note in his first team appearances and he's been really unlucky with injuries.

The jury is still out and lets hope he fulfills the potential he has. 

• Like 1

As an academy player the odds are against you that you are going to make it at your club. In the last 7-8 years the only players who have really made it from the academy at Villa and become key members of the first team are Gabby and Andy Weimann. Nathan Baker has only had one season and this next season will show if he's good enough. Clark hasn't done enough yet and Baker looks the better prospect today.

Gardner has been crippled with injuries and as much of a prospect he was I would be surprised to see him manage to be a player in our starting XI in the future.

Edited by bose

i too would like him to make the grade, so many of our youngsters have looked like shining stars whilst being in the academy, then flopped once theyve stepped up, it seems they only succeed and do well for themselves once they move on, only gabby really from the past few years has carried on his great commitment and performance to the club

with a choice of bacuna, gardner, carruthers, and delph i suppose, theyve all got a chance to shine

Who has moved on and done well ? - I can only think of Cahill , and maybe Craig Gardner (be he did ok for us)

As an academy player the odds are against you that you are going to make it at your club. In the last 7-8 years the only players who have really made it from the academy at Villa and become key members of the first team are Gabby and Andy Weimann. Nathan Baker has only had one season and this next season will show if he's good enough. Clark hasn't done enough yet and Baker looks the better prospect today.

But I believe that is about the rate of success of most academies - You tend to get a lot of grafters, Herd, Lichaj, Baker, and then then you get those that sparkle for a few months, Albrighton, Bannan - As you say in one of the toughest leagues in the world only a few from the academy cut it long term.

Makes sense really,the prem attracts some of the top players around the globe - the idea that you get six or seven such players on your doorstep is pure fantasy.

But I believe that is about the rate of success of most academies - You tend to get a lot of grafters, Herd, Lichaj, Baker, and then then you get those that sparkle for a few months, Albrighton, Bannan - As you say in one of the toughest leagues in the world only a few from the academy cut it long term.

Makes sense really,the prem attracts some of the top players around the globe - the idea that you get six or seven such players on your doorstep is pure fantasy.

Exactly. By "your club" I meant any given Premier League club. We tend to overrate our youngsters and put pressure on the to perform when they have a good game but they lack consistency at that age.

Gardner is clearly one of the brightest prospects we've ever had to come through our academy - at that level he was absolutely exceptional and that's a fact.

The problem however, is his ability to make the step up. He hasn't shown much if anything of note in his first team appearances and he's been really unlucky with injuries.

The jury is still out and lets hope he fulfills the potential he has.

He hasn't performed in the first team but he is clearly one of the brightest talents? I hope your right but I've seen nothing to suggest it. In the first team games that Gardner has played he's shown the same amount of potential as Johnathon Hogg. I also spoke to a Coventry fan who said he was "ok".

Quite a strange post considering..................

The problem however, is his ability to make the step up. He hasn't shown much if anything of note in his first team appearances.

The jury is still out.

You seem to share much of my opinion.

So was Delfouneso

Just a quick question for everyone - Can you point me to the time I said Craig Gardner was a bad player, seen as though you all seem to think it is a huge insult that I have said I have seen nothing from Gary to show me he is going to be as good?

Delph was struck down by a few serious injuries, so GG will see that with hard work, it's possible to come back and make a claim for a first team spot!

Here is where we disagree Rob. Not so much with your point because I agree. But the way you hint that making a claim for a first team spot would be good enough.

As a couple of posts above highlight.... This guy was going to be our superstar. Potentially being worth 40m. There was absolutely no doubt that he was going to be better than his brother (a lot better), all through this site. No doubt at all.

Now he has had injuries, and that is unfortunate but that's the game. If he was a player that was bought in and was as injury prone, he would be referred to as a waste of time. Just like Delph was. And although Delph has picked up recently - he has undoubtedly been a complete and utter waste of time/money.

For me, given the earlier hype, If Gardner doesnt at the very least become an important first team player, he will have failed.

He won't need to be a very good midfielder to make a claim for a spot in our midfield next season. The competition really isnt that great.

Delph was struck down by a few serious injuries, so GG will see that with hard work, it's possible to come back and make a claim for a first team spot!

He won't need to be a very good midfielder to make a claim for a spot in our midfield next season. The competition really isnt that great.

yawn1j.gif

• Like 1

Whilst I enjoy gifs Stefan, your point is pretty pointless and incorrect imo. 

Bannan/KEA/Holman - all made claims for a first team spot last season and at times got them. Do you think they are very good mid-fielders? 

Have you read and understood my post? Or are you just jumping on my back because you perceive from my post that I don't think Ashley Westwood is the greatest player ever to walk the face of the planet?

Gary Gardner won't have to be a very good midfielder to compete for a place in our midfield as it stands. If you don't believe that is true - fair enough. You are wrong though.

He will have to be very good to break up Sylla/Delph/Westwood because all 3 played at a high level at the end of the season. You didn't even mention the first choice 3 in your post and the 3 you mentioned are not currently first choice. Why bring them up? Bannan will be gone, Holman has already gone and KEA has had 1 season in England. We're looking to sign a creative midfielder as a marquee signing and we also have Bacuna. That is a fair amount of competition. I'm assuming you're saying Delph, Sylla and Westwood aren't very good. That's what your post implies anyway.

And please don't get personal if our opinions differ. Thanks. Westwood wasn't even mentioned til you made a unnecessary childish dig at me. He'd take Sylla's/Delph's place anyway because he's more that type of player. And to get rid of either of them (if they carry on at the same level) he would have to come in and play 'very well'. 

Have you read and understood my post? 

He will have to be very good to break up Sylla/Delph/Westwood because all 3 played at a high level at the end of the season. You didn't even mention the first choice 3 in your post and the 3 you mentioned are not currently first choice. Why bring them up? Bannan will be gone, Holman has already gone and KEA has had 1 season in England. We're looking to sign a creative midfielder as a marquee signing and we also have Bacuna. That is a fair amount of competition. I'm assuming you're saying Delph, Sylla and Westwood aren't very good. That's what your post implies anyway.

Clearly Not

And please don't get personal if our opinions differ. 

You made a unnecessary childish dig at me.

yawn1j.gif

Oh dear

• Like 2

Â