Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Let's at least see how he does as a fully fit member of the senior squad before writing him off.

It is the worry that that has eluded him for 2 years, which weighs so heavily against him IMO. - Injuries damage\ruin careers - we have to go on what we see - not what we would like to see .....haven't got the precise stats - but six games in 2 seasons - in which he has been at best adequate........He could turn it around play every game for the next 4 years.......but thats gotta be against probability. 

Lambert has got Delph playing well so no reason why he can't do the same for Gardner. However i do hope Gardner doesn't turn into another Fonz scenario?

Fonz's problems long before they actually manifested in the senior side were around his attitude, commitment and motivation. Gardner has never had those problems so I think you've nothing to be concerned about there. My concerns would be that he doesn't turn into another Darren Anderton scenario. And for that we'll just have to wait and see :(

What i was really getting at was that i don't want the club holding onto the player for the same length of time as they have Fonz in the hope that he fulfils his potential. We seem to be talking quite some time about whether Fonz is going to be good enough when in my view he has never really consistently shown enough ability to be kept in our squad. Hasn't really done it on loan either.

As you rightly point out Gardner doesn't have the same issues as Fonz but does Gardner suffer the same lack of ability to progress? I bought into the hype about Gardner when he was breaking into the first team but when fit have never really been impressed by him.

Both players for me have one more season to show whether they have what it takes to progress (hopefully in the Premiership) and if there is no further progression, then we should not detain them further along with Bannan.

Couldn't agree more. 

We have to get off the fence with our younger players earlier - we have spent years pissin about with the likes of Bannan, Fonz, Albrighton, - whilst I wish these players well - we have to focus on good ship Aston Villa, - For me,now there should be a massive question mark over Ciaran Clark - He's not young, hasn't sparkled in his first full season. Won't happen of course, we will probably spend another 2 years - waiting for him to show the promise he did at 19.....

Whilst we are umming and arring - the seasons tick buy and our credibility as a major club slips 

Yeah mate totally agree with everything you say excluding Clark.

Clark has made several mistakes this season and has been rightly criticised for it but i've seen enough from Clark to hope that with a little bit more experience he might be a decent back up to Vlaar and hopefully the new dominant centre back we're going to buy in the summer to take more responsibility with crosses coming into our box.

I just don't want another Cahill situation but that might happen anyway if Clark doesn't get the same amount of game time next season especially with Baker doing so well.

"We have to get off the fence with our younger players earlier?" Here is the militant right-wing faction in the villatalk realm. 

Something like that. 

If good ship Aston Villa had been in good shape the last few years then we wouldn't have been relying on the likes of those mentioned at all. It has nothing to do with judging them or not , just we have been in a mess and they are all we have available. I certainly don't think anyone needs encouraging to judge our players earlier on this website. It's all a bit hard-line on here at the moment. 

• Like 2

Played 45 mins. for the U-21. Hopefully he gets some games next year

that's great ay, hopefully he manages to get a couple of 90 mins under his belt before the break and gets a full preseason with no niggles.

Let's at least see how he does as a fully fit member of the senior squad before writing him off.

It is the worry that that has eluded him for 2 years, which weighs so heavily against him IMO. - Injuries damage\ruin careers - we have to go on what we see - not what we would like to see .....haven't got the precise stats - but six games in 2 seasons - in which he has been at best adequate........He could turn it around play every game for the next 4 years.......but thats gotta be against probability. 

Messi and Gerrard were picking up a lot of injuries when younger and both play nearly every game now

Messi and Gerrard were picking up a lot of injuries when younger and both play nearly every game now

Besides, every Footballer will suffer some type of injury that will sideline them for a while at some point. Gardner has unfortunely had his bad one early in his career, and to write him off or invent a notion that he is injury prone is pretty unfair.

The injury will proberly have him more focussed and hungry to suceed now, due to lost time. He has the talent, so dont be suprised to find him close to forcing is way backinto the first team by August ;)

Edited by MagicMushroom

He must have really impressed Lambert in training to come straight back into the squad like that.

Who knows, he might even get a cheeky run out if we're comfortably on our way to a result like last week (here's hoping).

Edit: Not in the squad.

Edited by Ghost

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see him back today, thought he would've came on when Dawkins did..hopefully will have a strong preseason and look to break into starting lineup next yr. Think playing as the advanced midfielder ( which I hear was his role in academy) we might see the best of him come out, which when played deeper last yr we didn't!

I think the two years out with his two knee injuries will have set him back quite a lot. I'm not sure we will see him delivering on his early promise shown those seasons ago in the reserves. It's going to be a massive ask for him to make the huge step up after such serious injuries.

Edited by LondonLax

I think the two years out with his two knee injuries will have set him back quite a lot. I'm not sure we will see him delivering on his early promise shown those seasons ago in the reserves. It's going to be a massive ask for him to make the huge step up after such serious injuries.

Delph managed it, so we're probably unlikely to have another one doing it so soon afterwards

Got high hopes for Big Gards.

Has the potential to nail down a spot in the first 11 next season.

plus 1

i also prefer him to bannan

i think we need to give him a run of games because sylla westy and delph never look like scoring

if dlph could actualy finish he would be amazing

Â