Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

4 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Well do tell, seeing as you’ve come out with such a statement based on rumours.

alls I see with Gary Gardner is a player that had massive promise only to be ruined by a number of serious injuries. He’s always come across as a hard working and professional to me.

Well I don’t need to use rumours. How about the twitter post last month “4 wins on the bounce, we’re on our way. Keep right on!”. Then there was the post he liked “Hands up if you love the blues”. Plus others I’ve seen which are much the same. Aside from the fact that he’s claimed he’s a villa fan before, the fact that he has a contract with Aston Villa should have some bearing on how he conducts himself on social media. I believe players should hold a certain amount of respect for the fans of the clubs they play for. In short, I think he’s a bit of a word removed.

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Players develop at different rates, his injury problems have obviously affected his development. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him in a Villa shirt, far from it in fact. Some fans will obviously hate the fact that he has pulled on the Birmingham City shirt but I think it takes guts to go and celebrate like he did when he scored against Birmingham City in October 2016 and then go and pull on their jersey. When he was younger, he was brilliant, he is beginning to translate that youth form in to senior football for me

From what I've read about him at the scum he's been on an excellent run of form. Who knows, at 26 it's getting to be last chance saloon but if he's doing well at this level the he can be an asset for us at this level, he would be suited to playing behind Grealish with McGinn when he was coming through he was box to box and scored goals. 

• Like 1

He's utterly dreadful. Fair play to him if he's doing well at Blues. Let him stay there.

When you play in a midfield of Ashley Westwood and Aaron Tshibola and look by far the worst player, there's something wrong.

He'll never pull on a villa shirt again, imo.

• Like 2

He is an Aston Villa player.. Everything he has he owes to Aston Villa (even his hot wife). We gave him a chance in our academy, we have continued to pay him (including loan wages), we have give him a new contract, we've stuck by him through ridiculous injuries. He is STILL an Aston Villa player.

Then to go parading around on social media with KRO and "on our way" tags means he will NEVER play for our club again. Same goes for his moron brother.

He's like his brother, only MORE stupid and MORE of a waste of talent. At least Craig Gardner waited until he left to be a lifelong West Brom, then Blues fan.

The majority of the fans won't accept him back, and blues cant afford to buy him. Next year he will most likely sit out 1 of his "prime 27/28 years" waiting till his contract runs out. 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

There was a window, around 2008-2009, where he looked like he'd become a good player, the injury he sustained at such a young age pretty much put paid to that. In the 40 odd appearances he has made for us, at premier league and championship level, he has looked utter garbage, a total non-entity of a player bereft of pace, skill on the ball and any sort of football brain. The only thing he appears to have is a decent shot from range. Players like this have no place in a Dean Smith side, the sooner he is sold, the better. He's a pure waste of resources. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's an absolute gash player who has no future here.

Agreed. If it were up to me I'd be looking into the dispensation loan rules in order to let him play on Sunday. If this kid strengthens the sha side they must be absolute bobbings. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

the sooner he is sold, the better. He's a pure waste of resources. 

Which is why his new contract baffled me. I understand tying players down in order to get a fee, but we will never be able to command a fee in excess the of the salary we have paid him in the meantime. 

Terrible bit of "business" that. 

14 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't hate him, I just think he is absolutely awful.
Can talk about potential, injuries and what ifs but he's 26, he has alreadu peaked and his peak is rank.

Not really related to the thread or you.  But the adjectives we use on this thread about players... it frequently baffles me.  “Absolutely awful” and “rank” are strange adjectives for us, generally amateurs, to use about a guy has played as a pro for many years.  “Not good enough for our needs”?   Fair enough.  Although our manager at the time thought he was good enough to start in the premiership. “Rank”?   Compared to who?  Eden Hazard?  His brother?  You and me?   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Not really related to the thread or you.  But the adjectives we use on this thread about players... it frequently baffles me.  “Absolutely awful” and “rank” are strange adjectives for us, generally amateurs, to use about a guy has played as a pro for many years.  “Not good enough for our needs”?   Fair enough.  Although our manager at the time thought he was good enough to start in the premiership. “Rank”?   Compared to who?  Eden Hazard?  His brother?  You and me?   

Agreed, but the ridiculous hyperbole helps the utterer to feel powerful by stating his opinion in such absolute terms. In fact, these pronouncements are merely a recognition of one's irrelevance and the ultimate futility of message board opinion sharing! Shout louder and maybe it will stick, mean something, etc. And yes, I'm feeling fine, thanks huns...

7 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I think the people who said he was "Rank" hit the "R" key instead of the "W". 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Although I somewhat agree, people tend to use very absolute terms when describing players as it helps enhance their point, however the comparison here is as clear as day isn't it? He's not "absolutely awful" compared to Big Bob down the park playing for the local pub team, he's not "absolutely awful" compared to you or I, he's "absolutely awful" at the level Aston Villa are at and as a result most of his performances for us have been "absolutely awful". 

He was a player with the potential to be really good for us when we were a PL team, but he's never come close to realising that, he seems to be doing well for Blues so good for him, maybe his level is a bottom end Championship team, which compared to you or I is fantastic, compared to the level Aston Villa are or plan to be in the future, is simply nowhere near good enough 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know Smith has only been in charge a few games and we should give it until the end of the season before getting ahead of ourselves. 

But I do wonder how many of our players that have disappointed could now thrive under a new manager and new way of playing.   Hogan, Tshibola, Gardner, Lansbury, Bree. Even Mcormack and RDL. 

The point i’m making is I’m now finding it difficult to judge how good a player is by how they have played at Villa in recent years when they have performanced well for other clubs.  

The pressure at Villa is immense and it’s easy for a player to lose confidence.  Our previous coaching setups have not been able to help all players deal with this. 

Maybe it could be different now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But I do wonder how many of our players that have disappointed could now thrive under a new manager and new way of playing.   Hogan, Tshibola, Gardner, Lansbury, Bree. Even Mcormack and RDL. 

Maybe it could be different now. 

I doubt it though.

Out of that group I think Hogan and Bree possibly have a chance but not the remainder.

I would also add Taylor to that list of players who won't make it here.

On 17/11/2018 at 13:39, 7392craig said:

Well I don’t need to use rumours. How about the twitter post last month “4 wins on the bounce, we’re on our way. Keep right on!”. Then there was the post he liked “Hands up if you love the blues”. Plus others I’ve seen which are much the same. Aside from the fact that he’s claimed he’s a villa fan before, the fact that he has a contract with Aston Villa should have some bearing on how he conducts himself on social media. I believe players should hold a certain amount of respect for the fans of the clubs they play for. In short, I think he’s a bit of a word removed.

well judging by the political world too.....lying is the new truth.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

well judging by the political world too.....lying is the new truth.

I tend to try not to mix the two. Football for me is one of the few escapes from politics. Along with Guinness and Emily Ratajkowski.

Edited by 7392craig

Â