Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

On the contrary to other’s beliefs, I think he can still make it here, he’s got 1 more year on his contract after this season. He seems to be doing rather well at Birmingham City, I think can still be a player for us, others don’t seem to share that belief

Yeah but pretty sure you're still holding out hope for Ethan Moore too so, ya know............

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, matteyp said:

Under contract, in the prime of his career and playing regularly in the Championship, we'll get some cash for him at the end of the season at the very least.  Much better than letting old, high-paid midfielders leave for free.

We won't because nobody else will pay him his salary, and if he do...it won't be close to the millions he has taken in wages.

I watched Gary come up through the academy and then the reserves. I saw him live a fair number of times at the Bescot and he was a real prospect.

He had a couple of metres of pace more than his brother but two bad injuries robbed him of that.

This season he has played 28 games for the Blues and is a key player for them. Blues are currently one place above us in the league.

Gary hasn't got a future at Villa, but he's not the rubbish player that some are making him out to be. In my opinion of course.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I watched Gary come up through the academy and then the reserves. I saw him live a fair number of times at the Bescot and he was a real prospect.

He had a couple of metres of pace more than his brother but two bad injuries robbed him of that.

This season he has played 28 games for the Blues and is a key player for them. Blues are currently one place above us in the league.

Gary hasn't got a future at Villa, but he's not the rubbish player that some are making him out to be. In my opinion of course.

He has had some decent moments, all of them have come whilst away from Aston Villa. As soon as he puts a Villa shirt on he is utter bollocks

• Like 2

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

The goal against Birmingham City?

What about it? 1 moment of note in 33 appearances 

He has been crap for us, his best performances have come when he has been off on loan

3 hours ago, KHV said:

What about it? 1 moment of note in 33 appearances 

He has been crap for us, his best performances have come when he has been off on loan

It was a great derby moment, the passion in the celebration, the quality of the header.

Which is precisely why we should stick with him

10 hours ago, KHV said:

He has had some decent moments, all of them have come whilst away from Aston Villa. As soon as he puts a Villa shirt on he is utter bollocks

Same thing could be said about a lot of the players we have signed in recent years.

Villa should have a conveyor belt of local lads like gardner graduating from the youth team getting a run in the first team then being flogged on to our nearest and dearest for about 4m.

No one would cry if 10 lads like Gardner and Baker left every season.

Unlike his brother, he's also one of our own.

He was a real prospect until injury robbed him of a career in football and he ended up on the wrong side of town shovelling sh** for a bunch of sh**s.

Let's remember him for that goal and for those celebrations, rather than vilify him as we rightly would Robert Hopkins, Steve Hodge or his brother for example.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

On 07/02/2019 at 01:58, sir_gary_cahill said:

It was a great derby moment, the passion in the celebration, the quality of the header.

Which is precisely why we should stick with him

Sorry, SGC, I do admire your enthusiasm and youthful exuberance when it comes to youth and academy players but sometimes I think OMG!! maybe it's just the deep cynicism that comes with age but I don't think one moment, even if it was against the bloosers, is reason enough to hold on to a player. If we are still in this league next season, which looks likely, there are still another 44 games to play.

If we are now justifying holding on to players based on their performances against those lot then I don't hold much hope for us getting out of this league any time soon (look at the Grabby thread after he scored in the 1-0 at the end of 16/17 season IIRC) we are only a few steps away from being like the unwashed down the road i.e. basing our seasons' successes on the results against 'them'.

We shouldn't even be in the same league for McGrath's sake, and I'm not expressing that in an 'entitled' way either, this is just borne out of frustration of our current predicament which has derived from how badly we have been run for so long.

Anyway back on topic - injuries have certainly affected him, and hampered him achieving anywhere near the potential people saw in him when he was in the youth set up, but the club needs to be pragmatic in it's approach and emotions need to be removed when making any decisions relating to contract renewals/extensions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John said:

Unlike his brother, he's also one of our own.

He was a real prospect until injury robbed him of a career in football and he ended up on the wrong side of town shovelling sh** for a bunch of sh**s.

Let's remember him for that goal and for those celebrations, rather than vilify him as we rightly would Robert Hopkins, Steve Hodge or his brother for example.

Gardner, Okore and Amavi (although the latter seems to be back on track) were all ruined by cruciate knee injuries.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Can you believe the unwashed asked us if they can play Gary Gardner on Sunday? 

I hope they sent 💩 on the reply 

According to Birmingham Live, he can’t play but I guess we’ll have to wait and see

Â