Brad Guzan

R.Bear

As I posted on FB. Sometimes we concede a good goal, the free kick was one. 

Those blaming him for poor positioning over the execution did you applaud this one or think we were lucky because of the keepers poor positioning. It's almost exactly the same position too. 

• Like 1

It's interesting Lancs posted a goal Joe Hart let int...

I think it's a bit similar...18 months back every goal Man. City let in was Joe Hart's fault even when it was nothing to do with him. Well same at the moment Guzan is getting blamed for goals he has no chance with.

He's still the best keeper at the club even if he isn't inspiring any confidence.

Again, criticising Guzan for the goal only shows you have no idea about being a goalkeeper.

It's easy in hindsight to say he should be further over, but there is a reason 99% of goalies (half decent ones at least) stand at about the 2/3rds point in the goal, any further away and it's just too much to get across, any further in and any player capable of cleanly striking a football simply smashes the ball into the unguarded part of the goal.

To anyone thinking he should stand in the middle...would you get rid of the wall as well? Because the wall can't cover the whole goal unless it's got 8 players in it and if you only have wall covering one side, and the goalkeeper not covering the other side what do you think will happen? The only reason players ever learned to get the ball over the bloody wall in the first place is because the keeper covers the other side so you can't score there, put the keeper in the middle and you may as well stick a sign up that says "score goal here" on the other side

I suppose in this case my criticism would be Guzan didn't learn from last season as Sigurdsson did him from a free kick at the Liberty.

I'd say aswell he made a very good save from Ayew at 0-0. We then went down the other end and scored.

That really should've been a crucial moment in the game but because we're so appalling it wasn't.

Edited by VillaChris

The whole ground knew where that freekick was going, apart from Guzan. It wasn't even in the corner. Positioning was god awful for it.

yep. Actually said he's too far over just like Sunderland literally seconds before the ball went in.

The whole ground knew where that freekick was going, apart from Guzan. It wasn't even in the corner. Positioning was god awful for it.

yep. Actually said he's too far over just like Sunderland literally seconds before the ball went in.

I'm not as down on Guzan as some, but I have to agree with this. Although it was a top save from Ayew at 0-0.

https://twitter.com/FutbolTalkzone/status/657941517156392962

Good view of the goal, I think he is way too far over IMO. The ball is over the wall and he still hasn't moved. It used to be if it goes over the wall good goal, but that is pretty central, Guzan takes a few steps and a dive and he's nowhere near it and it's not even in the corner. 

https://twitter.com/FutbolTalkzone/status/657941517156392962

Good view of the goal, I think he is way too far over IMO. The ball is over the wall and he still hasn't moved. It used to be if it goes over the wall good goal, but that is pretty central, Guzan takes a few steps and a dive and he's nowhere near it and it's not even in the corner. 

Any bloody further over and he'd be bang in the middle of goal leaving an easy strike to the other side.

I guess if that had happened all we'd hear about is how he was beaten on "his" side.

It was a good free kick, hit hard and up and down quickly, they happen. The only person even slightly at fault was Richards for giving away the free kick needlessly, but he's been good this season so it'd be harsh to be too...well harsh

• Like 1

Am I the only one that thinks that Guzan's play has only suffered since the new goalkeeping coach came to the club?

Tony Parkes spends more time advising Sherwood on match day than anybody else. Maybe he's doing the same on the training pitch and neglecting his real duties? 

Whoever was coaching Guzan and Co before Parkes, we need to bring him back! 

Â