Brad Guzan

R.Bear

To be honest, I don't dispute that he's among the worst in the league and perhaps even the very worst in the league. 

He still has his backers on here but I think they're still holding on to his performances from a couple of seasons ago where he was immense. Sadly, Guzan isn't that guy anymore, on current form, there's very few that you can say are worse.

• Like 1

His current form is poor.

Ability wise he's nowhere near the worst in the league. But that doesn't matter if you're dropping clangers.

I've got a small amount of hope that under the new manager he'll have a resurgence. I wouldn't blame Garde for looking for another keeper though.

He was described as the worst keeper in the league on Sunday Supplement, I agree.

Wouldn't agree with anything John Cross comes out with. Prior to that he was rambling about how Aaron Lennon was nailed on for us and would have made a massive difference but we decided to moneyball poor Timothy.

He was described as the worst keeper in the league on Sunday Supplement, I agree.

So do I.  He doesnt even come off his line when CB's are trying to Shepperd it back to him.  Bunn couldnt be any worse.  Installs no confidence in the players in front of him.  Tim dropping him last season for Given was one of the very few good team selections he done. 

So do I.  He doesnt even come off his line when CB's are trying to Shepperd it back to him.  Bunn couldnt be any worse.  Installs no confidence in the players in front of him.  Tim dropping him last season for Given was one of the very few good team selections he done. 

That's the CB's fault.

Nothing worse, as a keeper, than a centre back assuming you're coming for the ball when you don't intend to.

At worst, it's poor communication from Guzan. If he's not giving the CB a shout of "away" or similar then he should be. If he is giving that shout and the CB is still shepherding it back then it's 100% the CB's fault. 

Argue the keeper's decision after the event if you think he should have come out. Don't put yourself in danger by trying to do his job for him.

• Like 1

Lost count of how many times the ball was passed back to his right foot last night. Even when  the defender wasn't under pressure.

Yeah I noticed that. No excuse for poor distribution (although I didn't think it was poor last night. Apart from one kick that went out of play in the first half I thought his kicking was ok) but they don't make it any easier for him!

Should be a priority position for Garde after a striker.

I think striker and defenders are the priority.

I don't disagree that a new keeper should be on the list. I just think those positions would provide more of a positive impact than a new keeper. If that makes sense?

Should be a priority position for Garde after a striker.

I think striker and defenders are the priority.

I don't disagree that a new keeper should be on the list. I just think those positions would provide more of a positive impact than a new keeper. If that makes sense?

Yeah that makes sense. Totally forgotten that we have that clown Lescott in defence.

Does he save anything lately? He could've saved the first goal.

Not taking any blame away from Clark, but come on...

I suppose if he'd kept his legs closed and let the ball in at the near post that's his fault as well? Shots through the legs are incredibly common and in no way goalkeepers fault.

Not trying to argue that he's an incredible keeper or anything, but come on, if you guys maintain your goalkeeping standards we will never have a keeper that meets your approval because you are blaming Guzan for things that literally every other keeper in the league would do.

Criticise him for poor distribution, sure, but criticising him for conceding a goal from a worldie free kick, a 1 on 1 through the legs or passing to a player who subsequently gets tackled is ridiculous. I suppose he was at fault for Kanes as well because it was barely in the corner, didn't even hit the post before it went in!

Lost count of how many times the ball was passed back to his right foot last night. Even when  the defender wasn't under pressure.

It's pretty ridiculous really. Give the ball to a keeper who is generally shite with the ball at his feet and shite at kicking, on his weaker side. It's idiotic play from idiotic defenders.  

That's the CB's fault.

Nothing worse, as a keeper, than a centre back assuming you're coming for the ball when you don't intend to.

At worst, it's poor communication from Guzan. If he's not giving the CB a shout of "away" or similar then he should be. If he is giving that shout and the CB is still shepherding it back then it's 100% the CB's fault. 

Argue the keeper's decision after the event if you think he should have come out. Don't put yourself in danger by trying to do his job for him.

May be a CB fault some of the time but certainly not all the time.  A ball goes over the top and there is enough pace on it for the keeper to come out and claim and the CB to hold off the Forward.  Guzan never comes for them balls and it ends up a scramble and the CB having to kick out for a corner or throw in. 

That's the CB's fault.

May be a CB fault some of the time but certainly not all the time.  A ball goes over the top and there is enough pace on it for the keeper to come out and claim and the CB to hold off the Forward.  Guzan never comes for them balls and it ends up a scramble and the CB having to kick out for a corner or throw in. 

No, sorry. I disagree completely.

It might be the wrong decision not to come for the ball by Guzan, but the centreback should be clearing the ball unless he gets a call from his keeper.

If a ball is played over the top, there's no shout from the keeper, and the centreback leaves it for the keeper, that is the CB's fault.
Like I said, you could argue that it needs better communication from the keeper. He should be shouting "away" or similar (I always use "Away") to confirm he's not coming. but if he hasn't shouted that he's claiming it, then the centreback cannot assume he's coming for it.

It's defending/goalkeeping 101. The goalkeeper has the only say in whether he's coming for the ball or not. If you think he's made the wrong decision then fine. Argue it after the event. 

You never assume he's coming, or call on his behalf. Get rid, then argue.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â