Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Should stand in the middle of his goal. Simply gave the player too big a target. It wasn't even in the corner.Piss poor positioning, and not for the first time.

No keeper stands in the middle of their goal if they have a wall.

Sometimes the free kick will just go in regardless of positioning.

• Like 2

I actually wanted to go further with this. Taking a look at top, top keepers who have been beat by good free kicks and look at their positioning.

You have a wall for a reason. Standing in the middle takes away the wall's purpose.

Out of those 3 videos it seems only cassiles positioned himself as far over as Guzan (I'd need to watch the goal again)

No ones denying a well hit free kick can be unstoppable, but being so far over gives you no chance. 

In the 3rd examplehexample, cech still gave himself a chance but couldn't stop it due to the power. Against Sunderland and yesterday Guzan gave himself no chance of stopping the goal once it was over the wall.

I was solely refuting the claim that 'Guzan should have stood in the middle of the goal' when in all 3 of those videos, none of them stood in the middle.

And Buffon is really far over.

Edited by StefanAVFC

No, it isn't because I disagree with you.

It's because you don't know what you're talking about. The keeper puts a wall there so they can pick a side and stand there. Otherwise there's no point in a wall is there? A goalie just needs to stand in the middle and cover both sides. It's goalkeeping 101.

Could Guzan have been positioned better for the free kick? Maybe. Should he have stood in the middle of the goal?

Hell no. Who does that?

We'll agree to disagree then.I believe a walls purpose is to shield as much of the goal as possible, not just one side. We might agree that he shouldn't have been as far over as he was. And in my defence, if I need any. I take my evidence from watching football from behind the Holte End for 54 years.I'll take that over a few videos.

Out of those 3 videos it seems only cassiles positioned himself as far over as Guzan (I'd need to watch the goal again)

No ones denying a well hit free kick can be unstoppable, but being so far over gives you no chance. 

In the 3rd examplehexample, cech still gave himself a chance but couldn't stop it due to the power. Against Sunderland and yesterday Guzan gave himself no chance of stopping the goal once it was over the wall.

They were all similar positions to Guzan for the goal. After watching it again it was a very well placed free and there was nothing he could do

Don't know why this is a debate. Even MOTD said he had no chance, even using graphics to show that his positioning was spot on. Maybe if he was 20cm taller he could have reach the ball, but even then it was spinning away from him and into the corner. It did not go in in the middle.

Edited by momo

It's because you don't know what you're talking about. The keeper puts a wall there so they can pick a side and stand there. Otherwise there's no point in a wall is there? A goalie just needs to stand in the middle and cover both sides. It's goalkeeping 101.

Could Guzan have been positioned better for the free kick? Maybe. Should he have stood in the middle of the goal?

Hell no. Who does that?

We'll agree to disagree then.I believe a walls purpose is to shield as much of the goal as possible, not just one side. We might agree that he shouldn't have been as far over as he was. And in my defence, if I need any. I take my evidence from watching football from behind the Holte End for 54 years.I'll take that over a few videos.

You're wrong.

• Like 1

Having seen the replays it's a bit harsh to blame Guzan, OK the freekick wasn't right in the corner but it was hit with a lot of power and the trajectory was difficult for a keeper to 'pick up'. 

With hindsight we should never have given the free kick away in the first place.

Hell no. Who does that?

The wall only covers one side as it needs to be fully covered, better for the wall to do 50% and the keeper 50% than the wall being in the middle doing 70%, the keeper also in the middle covering the same area and both corners completely open to smash the ball into.

Go speak to any goalkeeping coach and they will tell you the same thing

Don't know why this is a debate. Even MOTD said he had no chance, even using graphics to show that his positioning was spot on. Maybe if he was 20cm taller he could have reach the ball, but even then it was spinning away from him and into the corner. It did not go in in the middle.

they also said Sherwood was doing a good job ;)

they also said Sherwood was doing a good job ;)

But not with graphics to back it up ;)

**** mental that people are blaming Guzan for that goal.  The free kick is immense, hit with such pace.  His positioning is absolutely fine.  The wall "covers" that side of the goal unless the free kick is good enough to get over it and back down in time (which it was).  Bear in mind that Guzan had previously been beaten by Sigurdsson in the other corner during a game against Swansea at the back end of 2014.

Sometimes a free kick taker is just that good.

People will find anything to slag off a player.  It's pathetic and, in the case of Guzan, completely unwarranted.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Â