Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I think Brad's cookie has crumbled. He is completely mentally and psychologically shot. He should be in a position of authority now, he's been at Villa nearly a decade and is in his 30's so is kind of an elder statesman, but instead of being an ambassador for the club and it's values and playing style and beliefs, the young foreign newbies coming in are seeing a guy who has zero confidence, fried out to the max and is playing as though a sniper in the stands is dialled in on his hea.  Not a good thing AT ALL

Keepers are a funny bunch really and more so than any other position it requires a huge amount of mental strength. It requires a strong character to get back to form when things have been going wrong. We saw ourselves with Scott Carson a few years ago that after his huge clanger for England he was never the same keeper again. Guzan has now made three big clangers that have led to goals over something like the last 10 games he has played for us and it is clear that psychologically it has affected him. His kicking has always been poor and indecisive but that indecision also seems to have crept into other parts of his game and at times he is coming for crosses he shouldn't or not coming for crosses he should. Unfortunately that then as an effect on your defenders.

I feel for the guy and at games would never get on his back as that is the last thing he needs. I would be all for dropping him but I am not sure Bunn is an adequate replacement. Having said that I would be surprised to see Bunn in goal on Saturday.

I'm loath to criticise players too much given how awful the manager is.

I rate Brad and I think he's a good goalkeeper for us - mistake aside. 

I thought his performances had deteriorated long before Sherwood arrived. Sherwood takes the blame for many things, this is not one of them.

• Like 4

guzan's distribution with his feet has never been great and saturday was no exception.  

on the other hand, there is still a major coaching problem here.  Our defenders are not being taught to think !!!!!

Everybody can see that distribution with his feet is brads most obvious weakness.  that's why every team tries to put him under pressure.  Best way to discourage that?  defenders"show" for the easy outlet.  Why is that the best? if you've ever played forward and pressured the keeper you know.  you have to sprint back to recover and mark the defender to make his next pass difficult. It's exhausting and demoralizing to be chasing the ball all day.  

In light of that basic, elementary understanding of the game, why in blazes are the defenders not moving clear of other markers and facing the ball.  Turning your back on a pressurized keeper is insane.  then moving toward an opponent rather than away from potential markers is equally naive.

When pressurized keeper has the ball (and brad is being pressured 80% of the time) move away from potential markers and face the ball.  This is youth level coaching.

Been in decline for 2-3 seasons now. Was brilliant at first under Lambert especially the 1st season under him but he now must be one of the dodgiest goalkeepers in the league

• Like 2

Better off just booting it up field!!  If the ball is not in your half the others cannot score unless its a 50yd screamer once in a life time goal!  Every time i watch Villa and they start passing it around the back i think "oh no here it comes", for that matter it's like that even when they start passing this sideways backwards rubbish i always see them losing the ball or giving it away with a poor pass and the worse one's for that are the defenders! 

He didn't drop us points at Palace.

But I agree with the OP. As it stands it looks like he'll cost us more than he'll save us.
I'd give Bunn a go. He's really not as bad as people make out. Just because we signed him from Norwich he gets unnecessary stick.

Edited by Stevo985

But I agree with the OP. As it stands it looks like he'll cost us more than he'll save us.
I'd give Bunn a go. He's really not as bad as people make out. Just because we signed him from Norwich he gets unnecessary stick.

he gave the ball to Amavi when he was under pressure exactly the same he did with lescott. Both outfield players could've done better but they shouldn't have been given the ball anyway. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes in fact he seems to be asking more and more. After dropping him last last year Sherwood knew he need a better one so its bad management not to get someone in to challenge him. If he doesn't see Bunn as good enough why get him in the first place? Throw him in. 

When I have seen him, he has not looked like a Premier League keeper, nothing to do with signing him from Norwich.

Brad has only made one 'clanger' (citeh) the others have been mistakes.... the mistake mostly being that we have so-called Premier League defenders who can't control a fcking football.

De Gea made an almighty fck-up on his return to action - kicked it straight opposition striker. Just lucky for him he never got punished.  Much worse than anything Brad has done this season. 

Sherwood made it clear what he thinks of Bunn when he didn't even trust him against Small Heath. If somebody is your designated cup keeper, then you play them for every cup game. So I certainly don't rate his chances of suddenly taking Guzan's place in the league.

Brad has only made one 'clanger' (citeh) the others have been mistakes.... the mistake mostly being that we have so-called Premier League defenders who can't control a fcking football.

De Gea made an almighty fck-up on his return to action - kicked it straight opposition striker. Just lucky for him he never got punished.  Much worse than anything Brad has done this season. 

Dyer.jpg

Â