Brad Guzan

R.Bear

If anyone else calls "keepers" when I'm in goal they get a smack on the back of the head and relentlessly shouted/moaned at until they learn better

Absolutely!
My number 1 pet hate about playing there. 

If anyone else calls "keepers" when I'm in goal they get a smack on the back of the head and relentlessly shouted/moaned at until they learn better

Bit harsh if they're in the crowd [emoji6]

Ha, I think that's more of a Guzan problem than a weedman problem...my "crowd" usually consists of 4 or 5 mostly hungover subs and 1 or 2 wags none of whom are watching the game!

Don't think his form has ever been as poor as it currently is. His kicking is Sunday league.

His kicking isn't great, but it's greatly exaggerated on here.

I agree about his form in general though. It's not good.

Lost count of how many times the ball was passed back to his right foot last night. Even when  the defender wasn't under pressure.

It's pretty ridiculous really. Give the ball to a keeper who is generally shite with the ball at his feet and shite at kicking, on his weaker side. It's idiotic play from idiotic defenders.  

True to a degree, but they deserve a keeper behind them who can cope with that kind of pressure. It should not be a big deal. They are bad enough without asking them to make such allowances.

Let's face it, the back 4 plus Goose need a massive shake up. It's just not working as a whole and Goose is as culpable as any of them.

Answers on a postcard.

I still don't get how as a keeper at the top level you can get beat at the near post like that piss poor defending from clark but i'd expect a PL goalkeeper to stop that with his legs

I eluded to this yesterday in another thread where someone was saying the players don't take any responsibility for this mess because they have been let down by the owner, board and Sherwood, and their confidence is low. Even with low confidence, surely there has be a minimum standard you expect from a professional footballer.

I still don't get how as a keeper at the top level you can get beat at the near post like that piss poor defending from clark but i'd expect a PL goalkeeper to stop that with his legs

Whilst I think he could well have done better, I'm always reluctant to criticise a keeper on a nutmeg.

He's come out, he's spread himself well but Dembele has found that gap between his legs.

I'm not saying it's good goalkeeping, I just think context means we're viewing it as more of a shocker than it is. If we were 3-0 up (imagine!) and the opposition score that and we win 3-1, nobody would bat an eyelid at that goal. It's not a clanger.

But, as BOF says, given our and Guzan's form at the moment you just somehow knew that was going in.

Don't think his form has ever been as poor as it currently is. His kicking is Sunday league.

His kicking isn't great, but it's greatly exaggerated on here.

I agree about his form in general though. It's not good.

I made sure to watch Guzan's kicks against Tottenham and not one of them I'd say was a bad kick. Numerous times Guzan kicked it out to Hutton which surely he was told to do because Hutton was always waiting to receive it. Then we Gestede came on, Guzan's kicks started being more central and all the kicks were in Gestede's general vicinity. There was one kick that went out of bounds, but that was on Guzan's right foot, and he was under pressure. Plus it went out of bounds around the half way line. Guzan had a pretty decent match last night in his kicking and made a really good save. You can argue that Dembele's goal was savable, but Guzan closed down the angles very well off Clark's terrible defending and Dembele was forced to shoot there. I think it's harsh to call him the worst keeper in the league. Back him at least till January to get his confidence up and we have one of the best shot stoppers in the league again. 

• Like 1

Exactly. He has bad kicks in him but they're nowhere near as regular as people make out. I agree there was one bad kick last night that went out for a throw.

It was the same in a match earlier this season. I forget which one but I commented on it in here.

He had a fine game kicking wise. yet as soon as the game finished people were in here saying how awful his kicking was and how they all went out of play. They didn't.

Exactly. He has bad kicks in him but they're nowhere near as regular as people make out. I agree there was one bad kick last night that went out for a throw.

It was the same in a match earlier this season. I forget which one but I commented on it in here.

He had a fine game kicking wise. yet as soon as the game finished people were in here saying how awful his kicking was and how they all went out of play. They didn't.

Isn't this supposed to be the best league in the world though? The point is that 1 kick into touch is too many. That's kinda why the opposing fans do the laughing openly and jeering thing.

Isn't this supposed to be the best league in the world though? The point is that 1 kick into touch is too many. That's kinda why the opposing fans do the laughing openly and jeering thing.

If that's your standards then fine, but I imagine you'd be disappointed with most keepers.

But that wasn't the point. The point was yo uget comments that his kicking was all over the place or awful when there was one misplaced kick all night. The criticism isn't justified.

His kicking was good last night. This was an outlier for him.

There was one game in particular this season, I believe it was Stoke but it's all a bit of a blur now, where he kicked the ball out of play an astonishing 5 times. Five. I made a point of discussing this with our kid beforehand so we counted. That was a particularly bad one, but as somebody pointed out above, it's fine lines at this level. It could be argued perhaps, by a stats guy, we lost the game based on the amount of possession he gave away there.

His distribution for a top flight keeper is atrocious. That's before we note the decision making and short passing errors.

He has gone from being top 5 to potentially the worst keeper in the league. Fresh start for him now too, but you have to wonder if this is his last chance. He must impress now or I can see him being shelved in January.

• Like 1

My god this is just so unrealistic. Even Lloris had a few bad kicks in last night's match. 

If that's your standards then fine, but I imagine you'd be disappointed with most keepers.

But that wasn't the point. The point was yo uget comments that his kicking was all over the place or awful when there was one misplaced kick all night. The criticism isn't justified.

No they aren't my standards and Ive always defended him and will continue to if the criticism is not justified. Agreed there are over the top reactions from fans to particular mistakes. Personally I thought the biggest one came from Sherwood when he dropped him after his Man City howler. Ive pointed out in this thread the things I feel he does well on a few occasions and dont see the need to do so agian. I dont think theres any viable alternative as far as Ive seen, But this season it is completely fair to say he has kicked the ball straight into touch on numerous occasions in various games and that his short distribution has led to a series of events (That without apportioning blame is still a true statement) 2 goals being given away cheaply. Those are surely facts. My opinion is that he looks short on confidence. That your original point was suggesting "he has bad kicks in him" but not "as regular as people make out" I was just alluding to the idea that it being a regular occurance is bad, even if its not "as much as people make out".

Im not suggesting perfection is realistic. I just dont see whats wrong in people discussing quite blatant and obvious flaws.

I don't disagree with any of that. But none of it counters the point that people make more of a deal out of his kicking than is justified.

People discussing his bad distribution is fine.

People commenting on his abysmal kicking in a game where his kicking was perfectly fine, is not. That's inventing stuff to be angry about.

Â