Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm kind of with her on that one. Linguine is just a bit too much, somehow. It's not full on "big pasta" like tangly-terry or can-a-lonely, so it's just the wrong size for texture and ratio of sauce to pasta.

Pasta is just a carbs vehicle for sauce, I couldn't give a monkeys what size or shape it is within reason tbh.

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Aren't American traffic lights red, yellow and green? I agree about amber - why not just call it orange? 

because it isn't, it's dirty yellow

And yellow traffic lights would be too bright and brash :D

Just now, bickster said:

Pasta is just a carbs vehicle for sauce, I couldn't give a monkeys what size or shape it is within reason tbh.

I only really like the very thin spaghetti (can't remember what it's called), with  LOTS of sauce. Too much pasta per mouthful (like the shell and spiral shapes) I find slightly nauseating. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

I only really like the very thin spaghetti (can't remember what it's called), with  LOTS of sauce. Too much pasta per mouthful (like the shell and spiral shapes) I find slightly nauseating. 

I don't like or dislike it, it's there to do a job. I really don't get why some people rave about it though, it always makes me think they've had such a culinary sheltered upbringing if they rave about the blandest of things.

Pasta officianado's who will only buy bronze die pasta and all that guff, they need to have a long hard word with themselves

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I only really like the very thin spaghetti 

Vermicelli (aka Angel Hair) I think

edit: Actually it might be called capellini 

Edited by Xela
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I agree about amber - why not just call it orange? 

You need to be careful with that sort of thing. Otherwise Amber Rudd will just be "Gold Fish", for example, or "Guppy"

Which might be funny, but where would it leave former Leicester winger Steve Guppy?

Unintended consequences, see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Yeah, but dirty yellow isn't a single word. We're straying here into the topic of "women's colours vs actual colours". 

Actual colours are:  black, white, red, pink, yellow, orange, blue, purple, green, grey and brown. Anything else can be described as 'light' or 'dark' variants of the above. Shit like 'mauve', 'lilac', 'puce', 'beige', etc. can do one. I'm calling amber as one of the shit list. Orange or GTFO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I don't like or dislike it, it's there to do a job. I really don't get why some people rave about it though, it always makes me think they've had such a culinary sheltered upbringing if they rave about the blandest of things.

Pasta officianado's who will only buy bronze die pasta and all that guff, they need to have a long hard word with themselves

Ahem. Anyway, I'm not an officionado of pasta, but there's definitely "good" pasta and basic pasta. I learnt this when I used to go to Italy a lot with work, and it turns out my italian chums were right., get the good stuff, it' worth it - it makes a basic carbs and sauce feed into a much better meal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but dirty yellow isn't a single word. We're straying here into the topic of "women's colours vs actual colours". 

Actual colours are:  black, white, red, pink, yellow, orange, blue, purple, green, grey and brown. Anything else can be described as 'light' or 'dark' variants of the above. Shit like 'mauve', 'lilac', 'puce', 'beige', etc. can do one. I'm calling amber as one of the shit list. Orange or GTFO. 

You missed "claret" off the proper colour list you rascal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Amber is an actual thing though whereas beige and mauve aren't and I couldn't even tell you what colour puce is a variant of. But I think if its the colour of an actual naturally occuring thing like Malachite, thats OK, its made up colours that are bollocks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry to do this, but black and white are not colours.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Ahem. Anyway, I'm not an officionado of pasta, but there's definitely "good" pasta and basic pasta. I learnt this when I used to go to Italy a lot with work, and it turns out my italian chums were right., get the good stuff, it' worth it - it makes a basic carbs and sauce feed into a much better meal.

How? The bland (soz) carb thing hold the sauce, it's the sauce thats important

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

You missed "claret" off the proper colour list you rascal.

True. That's a special exception. 

I may also include gold and silver at a pinch. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To the extent it’s being consumed now? It’s like sugar was consumed for many years as well but it’s only the last century and off the back of the whole fat is bad for you phase did it lead to the obesity crisis. 

Sugar consumption in the US is actually down from its peak and the obesity rates have not declined in turn as would have been expected.  There's now speculation that perhaps sugar itself isn't the problem but rather the extra calories it provides as it has generally supplemented rather than replaced other forms of calories (e.g., everyone now drinks fizzy pop throughout the day rather than as special occasions as when I was young).

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To the extent it’s being consumed now? It’s like sugar was consumed for many years as well but it’s only the last century and off the back of the whole fat is bad for you phase did it lead to the obesity crisis. 

Isn't the issue with sugar that it's refined? Whereas I don't think soy is (commonly) subject to any similar processes (though I'm not an expert).

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Presumably yellow traffic lights would also be harder to see at a distance (and potentially risk clashing with the sun on a sunny day?)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Sorry to do this, but black and white are not colours.

Reminds me of an art lesson in school. The teacher was doing some sort of colour theory thing and said that black and white weren't colours but shades. I had to tell hm he was talking bollocks, I couldn't help myself.

Yep that was me tidying the classroom at the end of the lesson for being right

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not strictly on topic as I don't often wonder this but I just nipped out the back for a ciggieand the bloke that plays the bagpipes at the back of ours was out playing his whinge pipes... in this bloody wind! WHY?

Assuming he’s actually Scottish... there’s your answer! 

Â