Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

The rain's come down the chimney, through the extractor fan, and onto our cooker. 

Next door have a new trampoline in tbe garden, replacement for the one that blew away in a storm two years ago. I'm watching it with interest. 

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The rain's come down the chimney, through the extractor fan, and onto our cooker. 

Next door have a new trampoline in tbe garden, replacement for the one that blew away in a storm two years ago. I'm watching it with interest. 

We have 4 sand bags, one on each leg of my daughters trampoline. Didn't budge an inch unlike the neighbours. 

200.gif

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What affects all these meat substitutes like Soy and Quorn will have on us and how far in the future we will find out. 

They're no more likely to hurt you than anything else? I mean, soy is something people have been consuming for thousand of years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At what point in the future will people that buy low lying houses by rivers, surrounded by hills, stop being surprised by floods.

This. They’ve recently built a new housing estate near me, on a flood plain! The whole area was two foot under water less than 15 years ago, but people have still bought houses there. To be fair it is a lovely spot on right near the river... 🤦‍♂️

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At what point in the future will people that buy low lying houses by rivers, surrounded by hills, stop being surprised by floods.

Barrats have just started developing a new estate in Formby that local people have objected to plenty of times. The development got knocked back on first application a few years ago because it was on a flood plain (its right by the River Alt). Today the first signs of any machnery and one JCB type think isat a 45 degree angle looking at a huge puddle, the other appears to be attempting to pull it out (and failing, as the workies have gone) and they've just been left there. The whole massive field the development is on is currently about 50% surface water. The water is a regular winter feature of this green space.

Good luck to any of the idiots that buy a property there

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They're no more likely to hurt you than anything else? I mean, soy is something people have been consuming for thousand of years.

To the extent it’s being consumed now? It’s like sugar was consumed for many years as well but it’s only the last century and off the back of the whole fat is bad for you phase did it lead to the obesity crisis. 

There’s a new development here, right on the edge of a known flood plain.

As part of the planning conditions, the developed has had to construct a huge water drain / sump in the middle of the site. Every house has been sold. Exactly half of the new house owners would have literally had to walk around the huge drain (the size of a house plot), to go and look at their house.

It’s a bit mental really. I guess they’ve just presumed at no point will there ever be a storm and the developer will always keep all the drains clear and well maintained.

People are just desperate to buy a property. New properties often attract Government incentives as well (Help To Buy) so for a lot of people its the only chance they have. They're prepared to move into a modern identikit slavebox with a postage stamp garden just to get on the ladder. 

The colour amber and its use in certain things in the UK

Its an arbitrary colour not really mentioned much but its used in traffic lights and weather warnings. Why not yellow for traffic lights? Surely that would be the obvious one along with red and green. 

Weather warnings are yellow, amber and red. Why amber instead of orange? Surely that would fit more in the colour scale?

Meh... the pointless shit I think about. 

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

Why my missus likes spaghetti but hates linguine?

(I have asked many times and got no meaningful response other than I just don't)

I'm kind of with her on that one. Linguine is just a bit too much, somehow. It's not full on "big pasta" like tangly-terry or can-a-lonely, so it's just the wrong size for texture and ratio of sauce to pasta.

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s a new development here, right on the edge of a known flood plain.

As part of the planning conditions, the developed has had to construct a huge water drain / sump in the middle of the site. Every house has been sold. Exactly half of the new house owners would have literally had to walk around the huge drain (the size of a house plot), to go and look at their house.

It’s a bit mental really. I guess they’ve just presumed at no point will there ever be a storm and the developer will always keep all the drains clear and well maintained.

Yeah, that. Round here, too, there are houses built on "the moss" which is basically sort of semi-bog land. The developers built a big eff off lake and pumps and whatnot to constantly route the og into the lake and keep the land under the houses from it's natural oggy state. SO far, so good. Probably 15-20 years old now, but being so low lying and basically marsh land, eventually nature will win.... Or maybe like the Netherlands, it'll be OK.

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

The colour amber and its use in certain things in the UK

Its an arbitrary colour not really mentioned much but its used in traffic lights and weather warnings. Why not yellow for traffic lights? Surely that would be the obvious one along with red and green. 

Weather warnings are yellow, amber and red. Why amber instead of orange? Surely that would fit more in the colour scale?

Meh... the pointless shit I think about. 

Just don’t eat the yellow snow. That’s what I’ve learnt.

Â