dudevillaisnice

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I never said he was overrated though he just an accident waiting to happen

90th minute he is trying to dribble past Spurs striker on his own 6 yard box

Did he lose it though? ;)

• Like 1

Stones is an absolutely brilliant player. You can say he's an accident waiting to happen, but I can't think of a single goal Everton have conceded that was directly his fault. Compare that to someone like Clark.... 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Stones is an absolutely brilliant player. You can say he's an accident waiting to happen, but I can't think of a single goal Everton have conceded that was directly his fault. Compare that to someone like Clark.... 

to be pedantic he conceded a penalty in last minute vs Stoke in previous game ;)

Clark is just an accident 

• Like 1

Stones is a fantastic player. 21 years old and in the top 5 defenders in the league for me. The Cruyff turn in the 6 yard box is a bit much, but hey ho he's earned the right to be over confident at times.

I watch him and think, I remember when Villa used to have defenders of that quality.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

I never said he was overrated though he just an accident waiting to happen

90th minute he is trying to dribble past Spurs striker on his own 6 yard box

Its seriously fine if he has a accident. Its going to happen and not a single person who it matters to will care that it did. 

You will obviously get GSS crowd shouting about "omg why didnt he hoof it, when youre in the scenario, you just got to hoof" whilst praising him a week for being one of the best defenders with the ball at his feet. Just typical lol-results-orientated thinking

Edited by gharperr

4 hours ago, gharperr said:

Its seriously fine if he has a accident. Its going to happen and not a single person who it matters to will care that it did. 

You will obviously get GSS crowd shouting about "omg why didnt he hoof it, when youre in the scenario, you just got to hoof" whilst praising him a week for being one of the best defenders with the ball at his feet. Just typical lol-results-orientated thinking

Yeah I agree with this. It's the same as people who say Schmeichel used to get lobbed a lot or when people snort if Neuer ever gets caught out when he comes miles out of goal.

Those things backfire every now and then. But 95% of the time they're an advantage. You take the occasional error because most of the time it works.

Remember when a Swansea defender got caught in possession playing it from the back and Rodgers said that he tells his players to play like that and understood that occasionally it would backfire. 

If only we could have got him back. He's just the kind of leader we need at the club. Not sure I agree he's one of the best ever, but he's always been very underrated in my opinion.

From the BBC: Gareth Barry one of England's best ever - Roberto Martinez

Everton manager Roberto Martinez described Gareth Barry as "one of the best English players ever" after a masterclass in the League Cup semi-final win over Manchester City.

Romelu Lukaku's 19th goal of the season - from a Barry cross - gave Everton a 2-1 first-leg victory at Goodison Park.

City winger Jesus Navas had earlier cancelled out Ramiro Funes Mori opener.

"I have never seen a player with such an incredible professionalism as Gareth Barry," said Martinez.

"Gareth is one of those players who gets underrated.

"The reason we have so many developing young players is there are leaders in the mould of Gareth Barry. It is no coincidence when we have Gareth Barry around them."

Martinez said he could build a team around the 34-year-old midfielder, who made 53 appearances for England between 2000 and 2012.

He added: "For me, he is one of the best English players ever. He could reach 600 Premier League appearances this season."

Barry in brief  

Clubs

Aston Villa, Manchester City, Everton

Premier League appearances

Honours

Intertoto Cup (2001), FA Cup (2011), Premier League (2012)

England appearances

Everton's manager was delighted with his side's win - but said it would be "foolish" to contemplate the prospect of an all-Merseyside final at Wembley, with Liverpool holding the advantage over Stoke City in the other semi-final.

He said: "We know we have a momentous, huge second leg and we will have 8,000 Evertonians with us at Etihad Stadium. We wanted to win the first leg and we have done that.

"I am very, very proud of our performance. We conceded a goal to a really good counter attack but showed a winning mentality to come right back. We showed great character."

Martinez fears defender Seamus Coleman could be out for a month with a calf injury, while midfielder Tom Cleverley was also forced off with a similar problem.

Lukaku, who scored his 12th goal in 12 games, hurt an ankle - but the Everton boss hopes it is not serious.

However, the Belgium international may miss the match against Dagenham and Redbridge in the FA Cup third round at Goodison Park on Saturday (kick-off 15:00 GMT).

"Romelu had a knock on his ankle," Martinez said. "We are going to assess him. I don't know if he will be available for the weekend.

"Tom and Seamus are very similar, Seamus with his calf is probably the most serious. Those things are between three to four weeks."

His longevity is what makes him great for me, he must be close to the Premier League appearance record now and while he has lost any little speed he has a brilliant football brain and obviously takes care of himself off the pitch as rarely injured

Easily our greatest player of Premier League era and still disgraceful lack of respect he gets from some fans compared to Milner

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

His longevity is what makes him great for me, he must be close to the Premier League appearance record now

Third only to Giggs (632) and Fat Frank(609).

GazBaz - 582 and counting.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

His longevity is what makes him great for me, he must be close to the Premier League appearance record now and while he has lost any little speed he has a brilliant football brain and obviously takes care of himself off the pitch as rarely injured

Easily our greatest player of Premier League era and still disgraceful lack of respect he gets from some fans compared to Milner

Do you not remember the 2 page newspaper interview he did to try and force a move? I believe he also expressed an interest to join Portsmouth just before Lerner bought the club. 

I wish he'd have stayed. Serious quality that we haven't come close to replacing. Would have been a fantastic club captain as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Everton are one team I ahve a soft spot. i know we are in completely different places at the moment, but they are the one other club that remind me of us in terms of fans, stadium etc

fantastic club, very much like us. i thought they run city ragged last night and really put in an high energy performance, city played ok tbf though. 

• 3 weeks later...
Â