dudevillaisnice

Maybe not, no one beats us I'm sure in last 5 years for losing to lower league opposition in cups but straight away I can think of Everton losing 2008 carling cup semi to Chelsea, Fa cup final 2009 to Chelsea, fa cup semi final 2012 to Liverpool and tonight, all good chances to win trophies.

Martinez should be sacked after that, takes off his most dangerous out ball for Kone. Panic move cost them and his defences are getting worse by the game. smallest player on pitch had 3 free headers at least tonight

3 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Thought Everton were lucky to finish with 11 men tbh. Barry and Baines kicked the shit out of city players all game. Some real dirty challenges.

De bruynes injury looks very bad also.

Commentator said Barry is the Premier Leagues most booked player ever. Compensating for a lack of pace.

Yeah it's arguable now they have a better first 11 than under Moyes, he always lacked a decent striker and they have that now in Lukaku although he seems to have gone off the boil majorly in the last few weeks.

Need to get McCarthy and Coleman back in the team now they're fit again

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe not, no one beats us I'm sure in last 5 years for losing to lower league opposition in cups.

Unless my memory/ability to look at Soccerbase is wrong, since Houllier's season we've played nineteen matches against lower league teams in both cups and lost four of them. Considering Man Utd have lost to MK Dons and Sheffield United in the last two seasons alone, I'm pretty sure our overall record isn't massively different from that of any other club.

33 minutes ago, coda said:

Commentator said Barry is the Premier Leagues most booked player ever. Compensating for a lack of pace.

I mean, to be fair to the guy, he has been a regular starter in the league for what, 17 years? Hardly a surprise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Unless my memory/ability to look at Soccerbase is wrong, since Houllier's season we've played nineteen matches against lower league teams in both cups and lost four of them. Considering Man Utd have lost to MK Dons and Sheffield United in the last two seasons alone, I'm pretty sure our overall record isn't massively different from that of any other club.

but we have always seemed to be that team that will be upset in cup. Doncaster, Sheffield United, Leicester and think even QPR beat us in league cup games in last 10/12 seasons or so

recent embarrassments all came at hands of Lambert plus the Bradford thing was quite shameful

At 1-1 City were 2/1 to qualify and Aguero was 4/1 to score with 30 minutes left. Easiest 60 quid I have ever made.

It was an absolute guarantee Everton wouldn't hold out. How Martinez had anything close to a good reputation is beyond me.

He never improved on a Wigan team Steve **** Bruce got to mid table, he never brought in a higher calibre of player,he never changed their style or adapted, he never learnt from his mistakes. They just slept walked their way to relegation.

Now at Everton they set up exactly the same way, they concede the same shit goals, they are naive as **** and tactically clueless.

The only difference being he has the players and funding to fight off a relegation fight. The fees and wages he has been able to offer for the likes of Lukaku, McCarthey, Barry etc.. put Lerner to shame.

Mowbray was a better manager than this word removed, only difference he had a thick accent and was from Middlesbrough whilst Martinez has a nice Spanish accent and a nice coat.

Pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Shit manager.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but we have always seemed to be that team that will be upset in cup. Doncaster, Sheffield United, Leicester and think even QPR beat us in league cup games in last 10/12 seasons or so

If you want to take things as far back as what we were doing under David O'Leary as evidence that we're the "team that will be upset in cup (sic)", then unless you've got a comparison for what other teams have done over that period of more than a decade, I'm going to guess that our record of losing somewhere around one in every five or six matches against a lower league team will probably match up with most Premier League clubs.

Of course it "seems" that we're the team that gets knocked out by the lower league club, you're a Villa fan. Of course you're going to remember that we got knocked out by Leicester, but have no reason to remember that Man Utd lost at home to Coventry City on the same night. 

I dont really have a stats comparison but if we are away to a lower league team in the cup they will nearly always show it as BBC or ITV think they will get their upset. Or somebody working for them is a Villa fan ;)

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont really have a stats comparison but if we are away to a lower league team in the cup they will nearly always show it as BBC or ITV think they will get their upset. Or somebody working for them is a Villa fan ;)

To semi-quote my earlier point "of course it "seems" that we're the team that's always on TV against the lower league club, you're a Villa fan.

When of course, we're obviously not.

last few seasons

2009 Gillingham and Doncaster

2010 Palace and Reading

2012 - Bristol Rovers

2013 - Bradford and MIllwall

2015 Birmingham

2016 Wycombe

thats quite a lot of games in years combined I would say we played maybe 25 games in all competitions

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

last few seasons

2009 Gillingham and Doncaster

2010 Palace and Reading

2012 - Bristol Rovers

2013 - Bradford and MIllwall

2015 Birmingham

2016 Wycombe

thats quite a lot of games in years combined I would say we played maybe 25 games in all competitions

I've taken the liberty of counting, not even close - 49 matches across both cups. That's before you take the obvious points that make this line of argument even more irrelevant - were we on TV against Bradford because it was a likely upset? Or were on TV because the League Cup semi-finals have been on TV for nearly three decades now? Were they expecting an upset for Villa - Reading, or was it because it was a quarter-final and three-quarters of the games played were going to be on TV? Was our game against Birmingham on TV because they were expecting an upset or because it was a third round tie and there would probably be a bit more to talk about than Hull - Swansea or Preston - Bournemouth?

Nine televised ties against lower league sides across two competitions and eight seasons for one of the bigger sides in the country, when the average early round of the cup will have between four and six games selected for television? Colour me unsurprised. 

• Like 1

Oh dear you have to feel for the evertonians. 3-1 up and they blew it. Took loads up as well, they wanted it a lot more than the spoilt  city fans.  I wonder if Everton or Villa will win a major trophy again? Martinez will be getting a lot of stick for this. His sides can't defend for toffee.

Â