dudevillaisnice

They overspent on Lukaku really, could well get 30m for Stones so might have a good last few minute buys.

Excellent win today but still not sure how strong they'll be this season.

It really was the Lukaku show today. He looked like he was worth every penny today, but I'm not sure how many games he'll have like that in a season.

I really don't want them to cash in on Stones as I think that sort of money could be put to good use up there.

i dont know what it is about Martinez but i find him really annoying !

I don't think the continuous bleating by Dave 'I broke my leg in the FA Cup' Whelan about RM being one of the best managers in the league helped.

I don't mind RM but he isn't all he's cracked up to be. I think he can set his team up to retain possession well but defensively he's naive.

Idiot footballer of the day goes to

Everton and Republic of Ireland star Darron Gibson has been charged in connection with an alleged hit-and-run crash with a cyclist.

The midfielder, 27, was detained on Sunday after police received reports a cyclist had been struck by a car which then hit a pump at a petrol station.

Mr Gibson is accused of driving with excess alcohol, after the crashes in Altrincham, Greater Manchester.

He is due before Trafford Magistrates' Court on 1 September.

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said the cyclist was unhurt.

_85073875_pic.jpgIt was alleged that Darron Gibson was over the limit when his car hit a cyclist and a petrol pump

It is alleged he was behind the wheel of his black Nissan Skyline GT-R Nismo car when the crashes happened close to his home.

Greater Manchester Police said Mr Gibson was charged with driving without due care and attention, driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop after a road traffic collision.

"This is in relation to an incident on Sunday August 16 where police were called to reports that a car had collided with a cyclist on Park Road, Trafford, and failed to stop before pulling into a petrol station on nearby Dunham Road and colliding with a pump," a spokesman said.

Londonderry-born Gibson began his career at Manchester United before joining Everton in 2012 for a fee of about £1m. He is currently recovering from a groin injury.

An Everton FC spokesman declined to comment

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-33983899

• 2 weeks later...

Let's have an Everton discussion.  They keep popping up in other threads like the Spurs thread and the Where we'll finish thread.

I think they're ahead of us.  I think they've strengthened in the summer and I think they've successfully held on to a player that was sought out by a top 4 side.  Looking through their squad, they may be a bit light up front if Lukaku gets injured (although not if he doesn't ...) but their squad is very strong defensively.  Not just the defenders themselves but the protection they get in midfield.  Unspectacular maybe, but very solid and will comfortably be midtable.  Lennon is a good addition too and should reshuffle their midfield personnel to their benefit.

I have a bet on with a Toffee who thinks they'll finish top 8.  I can't see that happening (which is why I took the bet) although it's not impossible.  Just highly unlikely.

Thunks?

They're loaded in midfield. Barry's legs might be going, but they also have McCarthy, Barkley, Cleverley, Mirallas, Deulofeu, Osman, Pienaar, Lennon & Besic. I don't particularly rate Gibson, McGeady or Oviedo (unless he's playing at leftback) but they've got them too.  And their first choice defence is one of the best in the league.  You're right CED that they do need luck with injuries because scratch the surface of their attack or defence and there's not much there, but you'll never get an easy game off them, that's for sure.

i dont know what it is about Martinez but i find him really annoying !

I don't think the continuous bleating by Dave 'I broke my leg in the FA Cup' Whelan about RM being one of the best managers in the league helped.

I don't mind RM but he isn't all he's cracked up to be. I think he can set his team up to retain possession well but defensively he's naive.

He's got an FA cup in his cupboard that's argues against you. I think it's too early to be saying he not all he's cracked up to be.

One good season and one bad/indifferent season at Everton and they appear to be inline for a good one this year.

If he was English... but I shouldn't go there as it may attract some Daily Mail "readers"

As a club I don't have a problem with them both the same size, similar trophy cabinet and attendances but it boils my piss when you hear them whine about not spending money and the media banging on about how they over achieve because they don't spend much.

Â