dudevillaisnice

18 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Not sold just a new investor who bought 49.9% of the club valuing it at 175 million!  Sold his shares in Le Arse to invest in the Toffees.  So they still have Kenwright who has the clubs best interests at heart and some extra money to compete on transfers and maybe a new stadium.   I actually think that sounds the best thing that could happen to them but would welcome a Toffee to tell me what they think!

Well, I'm actually far happier with his than if a full takeover was to happen. 

Kenwright has been a good owner, I won't have people who say he hasn't been. His real downfall is that he has about as much money as I do, and that's not an awful lot...

He's not been perfect, he has lied, he has avoided awkward situations through various techniques, but he has always promised he'd find the right guy to sell to. 

I get the impression the shares to Moshiri were sold cheap so that most of the money will go to the club as an investment rather than to someone's pockets. It seems he has promised to invest in the team, a new stadium and source commercial revenue. 

I'd guess this is a precurser to a future full takeover when the likes of the stadium situation are sorted.

I was extremely apprehensive at the thhought of the Americans taking over, they sounded like chancers to be honest. Far happier with this outcome at present! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Artetasgirl said:

Kenwright has been a good owner, I won't have people who say he hasn't been. His real downfall is that he has about as much money as I do, and that's not an awful lot...

He's not been perfect, he has lied, he has avoided awkward situations through various techniques, but he has always promised he'd find the right guy to sell to. 

I get the impression the shares to Moshiri were sold cheap so that most of the money will go to the club as an investment rather than to someone's pockets. It seems he has promised to invest in the team, a new stadium and source commercial revenue. 

I'd guess this is a precurser to a future full takeover when the likes of the stadium situation are sorted.

I was extremely apprehensive at the thhought of the Americans taking over, they sounded like chancers to be honest. Far happier with this outcome at present! 

Cheers Artetas Girl I am glad you are happy and you are right to be wary of American owners!!!

2 hours ago, Artetasgirl said:

Any word on what the new investor wants to do with Goodison AG?

It's got to be time to make a decision one way or another, it's taken Liverpool years but they're finally redeveloping Anfield now.

I think the priority will be a new ground in a park down the road from Goodison called Walton Hall Park. We've already discussed it a lot with the council, and they seem willing...funding was always the main issue. 

I don't know if you've been but Goodison is a small footprint, surrounded by houses and a school. Very difficult to expand upon that.

35 minutes ago, Artetasgirl said:

I think the priority will be a new ground in a park down the road from Goodison called Walton Hall Park. We've already discussed it a lot with the council, and they seem willing...funding was always the main issue. 

I don't know if you've been but Goodison is a small footprint, surrounded by houses and a school. Very difficult to expand upon that.

Yes I thought maybe you could put another tier on the new ish stand behind the goal as there's a car park behind that so bit of space but difficult to see what you can do with the Gladwys and the ancient away stand bit.

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a pity, Goodison is a beautiful old ground, one of the few remaining ones that Archibald Leitch laid out with the wonderful crossed steel on the balconies and those great flip up wooden seats. It's a shame that we replace character and beauty with these awful, soulless, plastic and sheet metal monstrosities,

I'm with you pretty much on the "soulless, plastic and sheet metal monstrosities", but truthfully, Goodison (to me) is not Beautiful. It's ugly. 2 of the stands are relatively modern, and the Gwladys and Bullens stands are decrepit. Pillars block views, the facilities inside are utterly inadequate. It does have character in those 2 old stands, though and that's what's being lost with all these new grounds and stands.

It's a shame that more clubs don't do what Rangers did in Glasgow with Ibrox - sympathetic redevelopment that maintains the old features and character, while expanding and updating.

Goodison - Not beautiful

83500059d9ef8af33687b75ac339dad1.jpg

Link to some twitter pictures of the views from Goodison stands

Ibrox - retains the character

_79850884_79850655.jpg

• Like 1

I know where you're coming from Blandy, and I agree that it's impractical, uncomfortable and probably difficult to live with from time to time if you're an Everton fan, but for this beholder there's a beauty in it. Maybe I like it for those reasons, I'm not sure. There aren't that many of these grounds left, or at least I can't think of too many (maybe I'll see some next season) and I think that's a shame. I thought three of the stands were older, the L-shaped bit and the three tier thing (which was done for the World Cup?) but I might be wrong.

I like that you've picked Ibrox, I think it's a fabulous way to develop a football ground and I'm glad that the man that designed both of the grounds in the pictures is remembered at his 'other' favourite club. I only wish we'd had the foresight to do the same with our Archibald Leitch stand, and it still makes me a little sad to remember we didn't.

Incidentally, the chap that's bought half of Everton is a former owner of about a fifth of Arsenal, he'll have been on the board that employed Mr Fox; I wonder if he might do so again.

• Like 1

So is this guy so rich that he can afford to blow a billion or 2 on a plaything? If he's come in to invest in the team and build a new stadium its seems a bit good to be true.

Unless hes one of oil billionaires like at City or PSG he's going to want some kind of return on his investment which is incredibly difficult in football fullstop.

On 2/28/2016 at 19:55, OutByEaster? said:

It's a pity, Goodison is a beautiful old ground, one of the few remaining ones that Archibald Leitch laid out with the wonderful crossed steel on the balconies and those great flip up wooden seats. It's a shame that we replace character and beauty with these awful, soulless, plastic and sheet metal monstrosities, but I guess that's progress, more people, more hospitality, more money. It's a shame, one I understand from a practical standpoint, but a shame nonetheless.

Which reminds me, I must get to Goodison before they rip it down. 

Unfortunately, I am unlikely to be watching the Villa there any time soon. So hopefully they take their time, either that or we get them in the cup. Worst case I'll travel up with my Baggies mate next season. 

£175m is apparently "cheap" for a 49.9% share in a club that up until 6 years ago we were basically level pegging with in every singe metric. Top job Randy, **** brilliant. 

• Like 2

I think these figures are being distorted.

The reported sale amount values the club at £175m ish, which means he's paid about £85m for his share (although rumours seem to be that he may have only actually stumped up £30m with a promise that the rest goes on players/stadium)

The £200m figure is getting mixed up with the amount he received for selling his share in Arsenal which enabled him to buy this share in Everton.

It's not an astronomical valuation.

The worrying thing for me isn't that Everton are valued so much more than us (they're not), but that if Everton is valued at £175m and Randy wants £150m for us, who the **** is going to pay that?

• Like 2

On 2/28/2016 at 19:55, OutByEaster? said:

It's a pity, Goodison is a beautiful old ground, one of the few remaining ones that Archibald Leitch laid out with the wonderful crossed steel on the balconies and those great flip up wooden seats. It's a shame that we replace character and beauty with these awful, soulless, plastic and sheet metal monstrosities, but I guess that's progress, more people, more hospitality, more money. It's a shame, one I understand from a practical standpoint, but a shame nonetheless.

im sure when i did the VP tour a few years they were spouting some figures about our hospitality, only arsenal having more boxes etc one thing they said that was in the 2 week gap between home matches goodison has one function room for hosting corporate meetings / events, we have something like 26, the potential difference in revenue those facilities could generate is incredible

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think these figures are being distorted.

The reported sale amount values the club at £175m ish, which means he's paid about £85m for his share (although rumours seem to be that he may have only actually stumped up £30m with a promise that the rest goes on players/stadium)

The £200m figure is getting mixed up with the amount he received for selling his share in Arsenal which enabled him to buy this share in Everton.

It's not an astronomical valuation.

The worrying thing for me isn't that Everton are valued so much more than us (they're not), but that if Everton is valued at £175m and Randy wants £150m for us, who the **** is going to pay that?

Exactly how I've heard it too. 

The board sold low to allow the money to go to the club direct for investment as opposed to into their bank accounts.

It sounds like Moshiri would have been the ideal type of guy for you lot, which begs the question, why weren't you all over that when we've been in discussions with him for over a year, supposedly. 

Is Lerner even trying to find a buyer or just sitting there waiting for someone to come and throw money at him? It's a similar situation to what many believe was happening at Goodison for ages with Kenwright not actively looking for a buyer, though it's only guess work...he would argue he was waiting for the right person...

18 hours ago, Genie said:

So is this guy so rich that he can afford to blow a billion or 2 on a plaything? If he's come in to invest in the team and build a new stadium its seems a bit good to be true.

Unless hes one of oil billionaires like at City or PSG he's going to want some kind of return on his investment which is incredibly difficult in football fullstop.

Basically from what I can gather. He's an astute businessman. He doesn't seem to be in it to make a quick buck, he wants to own a winning team. He grew frustrated at Arsenal with the fact he couldn't influence things at board level as Kroenke was majority stakeholder. 

Here the idea seems to be: invest in team, invest in rebuild/new stadium, build up commercial side of the club, alongside a gradual stake increase to around 75%. The value of the club should dramatically increase with the stadium being sorted, etc., and with the increased money in the game too. 

There's even rumours it could mean Usmanov coming from Arsenal in the future too. Though I don't know how to feel about that! 

4 hours ago, Artetasgirl said:

Basically from what I can gather. He's an astute businessman. He doesn't seem to be in it to make a quick buck, he wants to own a winning team. He grew frustrated at Arsenal with the fact he couldn't influence things at board level as Kroenke was majority stakeholder. 

Here the idea seems to be: invest in team, invest in rebuild/new stadium, build up commercial side of the club, alongside a gradual stake increase to around 75%. The value of the club should dramatically increase with the stadium being sorted, etc., and with the increased money in the game too. 

There's even rumours it could mean Usmanov coming from Arsenal in the future too. Though I don't know how to feel about that! 

I like Everton and hope it works out for them.

I'm just struggling to see why an "astute businessman" will pour hundreds of millions into something that only turns a profit in very rare occurrences (eg. Man Utd).

Don't get your "Everton Champions of Europe" tattoo just yet.

I work with a guy who lives in Cov but who's family came down from Liverpool. As a lad in the late 60s into the 70s, he would travel, mainly on his own, up to Everton and around the country by train to watch the Toffees play. He still goes up a few times a season and is, of course, Blue through and through and a proper Liverpool hater. 

It was quite funny a few years ago, we were having lorry drivers coming down from Halewood to collect some Evoque parts we had at Solihull for a limited edition build. About 3 times a week for a couple of months they came down and every single one of them was a red. It was hilarious, because I'd see them first, ask them who they supported, then go and tell my mate "this one's a Toffee!" Got him every time. I'd just stand back and watch the show! All good natured of course, but so funny.

Â