dudevillaisnice

I don't buy the 'Everton have no cash' myth. They do, and Moyes spent it well for the most part. If they didn't they wouldn't be in this division. I wouldn't rule Martinez out just yet, because it takes time to build a team, and probably longer in modern football due to the difficulty of getting rid of players.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

too soon to judge, he's still a young manager learning as he goes, with more challenges at a tougher environment than wigan. He still won the fa cup with wigan, remarkably. Europa League will have had some effect, but also the usual difficulties of backing up a good first season - suffered by pretty much every manager anywhere that doesn't have great wads of cash to over reinforce the squad. They could still finish 12th and win the Europa League quite plausibly.

There are a few old legs in there, who have simply just fallen off the cliff this season I think, it was a gamble to rely on them heavily during a fixture heavy season, and it is rectifiable in the summer with fresh blood. Work on the defence, freshen up the squad and I think Everton could quite casually throw themselves back into top 6/7 contendership next year.

Think we write managers off far too soon in this league.

• Like 1

For me its being in the europa league, lets be honest they have been briliant thus far in that. 4-1 and 2-0 against the second best side in Germany, but it has put extra pressure on an ageing squad and they have struggled in a variety of positions. Barkley second season syndrome, Barry has got old very quickly, Baines and Coleman have not been the dynamic fullbacks they were last season. Lukaku is not having as bad a season as people make out. 15 goals this season. 

Exactly his problem. He's using what is there rather than not seeing what's in front of him and building one.

I wouldn't trust him to anyway because,as before, his signings are shite.

Yeah but they were so solid at the back last season why would he change it? 

They're the best run club in the whole world though and Kenwright is a genius.

I don't really know who this is aimed at...this is a line trotted out for Liverpool or Newcastle, but not Everton.

I am under the impression that Everton fans are also very tired of Kenwright's lack of cash. Goodison Park is falling apart for a reason...

Read back over this thread and that's basically the picture being painted. Kenwright was being made out to be a financial genius who's operating a very well run club.

Exactly his problem. He's using what is there rather than not seeing what's in front of him and building one.

I wouldn't trust him to anyway because,as before, his signings are shite.

Yeah but they were so solid at the back last season why would he change it? 

People get older?

You can easily argue that Martinez is a poor manager.

His signings have been terrible and he can't build a defence.

He hasn't tried to build a defence yet though at Everton. He's still using what he inherited and what did quite well last season. I think the only defender he's brought in is Alcaraz isn't it? 

Exactly, and all but Coleman in that defence is 30+ now, the defence last season was a hangover from Moyes, and now the cobwebs are starting to show but Martinez has done nothing about it. As you say, the only defender he's bought has been Alcaraz, a 32 year old CB that couldn't get in the team Martinez had just relegated, just nowhere near enough to even begin to fix any problems at the back. I suppose Joel Robles too, but he's in the same boat as Alcaraz, only younger.

Distin is 37, Howard 35 (and a bit over-hyped), Jagielka 32, and in terms of back ups, Hibbert is 34 and the rest (bar Robles and Alcaraz) are all untried youth players. Martinez needed to begin to replace them last summer, try to preemptively bring in younger players who could deputise for a year or two and could be called on if needed. This season saw Martinez's first attempt to organise Everton's defence, and he's shown how bad he is at it.

I said it in the relegation thread, and I'll say it here, given the time, Martinez will relegate Everton eventually.

• Like 1

Hmmm think some of you are being quite harsh on Martinez really.

He's had 1 summer transfer window since being able to assess his squad in Premier League games. He opted to buy in a striker as their defence was quite good the season before. I don't think any one could see how bad they would be this season. I'll judge his defensive capabilities once he brings in a few defenders at Everton. It may all go to shit like it did at Wigan, I don't think it will though, providing he is given the funding to bring in a few decent defenders unlike at Wigan. 

Is it defence or defense? I always get it confused... 

Edited by PieFacE

It seems the consensus that Kenwright has half had them on the market for years, but is doing a Doug and doesn't want to release the power. Plus, he's allegedly offering an "at the right price" excuse to the fans: an indication of how much they are up for sale would be how many Everton takeover news stories anyone has read over the past 10 years...

I don't buy the 'Everton have no cash' myth. They do, and Moyes spent it well for the most part. If they didn't they wouldn't be in this division. I wouldn't rule Martinez out just yet, because it takes time to build a team, and probably longer in modern football due to the difficulty of getting rid of players.

They have always had saleable assets over the years. They could do a Southampton if they wanted and sell Barkley, Coleman, Mirallas, Baines etc and raise tens of millions to spend in the summer. Moyes was really good at it, picking up good footballers from all kinds of backgrounds and making a really good team out of it. It's what really set them apart from us over Randy's tenure.

For me its being in the europa league, lets be honest they have been briliant thus far in that. 4-1 and 2-0 against the second best side in Germany, but it has put extra pressure on an ageing squad and they have struggled in a variety of positions. Barkley second season syndrome, Barry has got old very quickly, Baines and Coleman have not been the dynamic fullbacks they were last season. Lukaku is not having as bad a season as people make out. 15 goals this season. 

If the Europa League is the main reason, why are Spurs twenty-odd points ahead of them when Everton finished above them last season?

Spurs have the Europa League as well.

He is just a poor manager, Wigan never progressed under him and he managed them in that classic 9-1 defeat. If his name was Rob Martin he would be managing Tranmere giving his managerial achievements

One FA Cup doesnt blinker over the facts

He is just a poor manager, Wigan never progressed under him and he managed them in that classic 9-1 defeat. If his name was Rob Martin he would be managing Tranmere giving his managerial achievements

One FA Cup doesnt blinker over the facts

Dave Whelan reckons he should be the manager of real Madrid

Their next 6 games are:

Newcastle (H)

QPR (A)

Southampton (H)

Swansea (A)

Burnley (H)

Man Utd (H)

Then us at Villa Park. If they can't pick up the 8 points they need from that lot then they really are done

I think they'll pick up points from those fixtures.

Beating QPR and Burnley would be good for us.

Aye as funny as it would be to see Everton go down, for us it would probably be bad news as it would mean them losing to Sunderland, Burnley and QPR all in the run in and we want those teams to get as few points as possible to make our task easier.

Is Kenwright still trying to sell the club? I have a feeling we will probably be sold before them.

Lerner has come under alot of criticism recently and rightly so but I do think he is actively trying to sell the club despite what is said. I don't get the feeling Kenwright is.

Kenwright will probably look for outside investment.

Kenwright's a massive Evertonian, I've always thought with him he pays lip service to saying he wants to sell the club as secretly he's not in charge anymore and that's a massive part of his life missing.

Sly Stallone could always buy them....

If the Europa League is the main reason, why are Spurs twenty-odd points ahead of them when Everton finished above them last season?

Spurs have the Europa League as well.

Spurs have been in the europa league for years and years, they're well used to it. First half of the season they had some poor results on Sundays although think that was more them getting used to Poch's philosophy. 

Europa league does have an effect on teams not used to it....IMO the only reason Swansea were near the relegation zone last season was because of europa...this season no europe and they're back in the top half. Stoke struggled a bit more than usual when they were in it a few years ago.

However I don't actually buy it with Everton. If you look at their form this season their best premier league run came in October-November when they started by beating us 3-0, then winning at Burnley and then 4 points from West Ham and Swansea so that was 10 points from 4 games in a period where I'd imagine there were a few europa games.

They were dismal over the xmas period and there was no europe then.

Â