dudevillaisnice

I think Lukaku will continue to develop.  He's actually a very smart guy who loves studying football.  With experience, he'll get better because he's able to turn bad days into learning experiences.

When he gets to 25/26, injuries permitting, he'll be a frightening opponent.

He is frightening if in behind, but he really needs to learn how to play with his back to goal, to be considered the next Drogba or a striker at Chelsea's level.

Ok Lukaku is still developing, and is still only 21, but how much money do they think they're going to get for him when he reaches his peek? Costa just went for £32 million and don't get me wrong, he's no Suarez.

• Like 1

Martinez is going to have to do a heck of a job when it comes to replacing the defence Moyes left him. Especially considering his record of buying defenders and general defensive record is appalling, at Wigan and this season so far.

Ok Lukaku is still developing, and is still only 21, but how much money do they think they're going to get for him when he reaches his peek? Costa just went for £32 million and don't get me wrong, he's no Suarez.

Costa's fee was a release clause which he had had for a while, without that I think his fee would have been £50m+

Everton probably needed to make Chelsea an offer they couldn't refuse for Lukaku. Chelsea would have probably just loaned him to someone else without the £28m bid.

I doubt we will ever find out the specifics. Wouldn't surprise me though, it's like our Darren Bent deal I guess, Sunderland will tell their fans they got £24m, we tell ours we paid £18m and the actual fee is probably somewhere in the middle. I still find it amazing that clubs aren't forced to be more transparent with their finances.

We've spent a lot more than them over the last 6 years.

Do you mean spent or do you mean net? And why 6 years?

If you look at the cost of Everton's starting line up the likes of Baines, Jagielka, Howard were signed 2007 so I should of said 7 years.

Howard- signed 2007- 6m.

Coleman- signed 2009- for a fiver or whatever it was.

Distin- signed 2009- 3m

Stones- Signed 2013- 4m

Jagielka- signed 2007- 7m

Baines - signed 2007- 7m

Barry- signed 2014- free transfer

Besic- signed 2014- 2m

McCarthy- signed 2013- 13m

Miralles- Signed 2012- 6m.

Lukaku- signed 2014- 28m.

So from their regular 14 players it's hardly a ridiculous amount is it? Lukaku obviously inflates things at his fee, their equivalent of our Darren Bent transfer. We'll see in two years time if they're loaning him out to Fulham.

You've not answered either of my two questions, so you mean net spend or gross spend and why did you pick the period of 6 years?

I picked 6 years as half of their team were signed in the 2007 period so if people are just throwing statements around like "they've spent a tonne of money" then obviously you look at how much their team cost and half of them were signed back then.

Gross spend and certainly net spend from them will be nowhere near close to us unless you just cheat and start it from our clear austerity measures from 2012.

Lukaku is clumsy with his touch and hardly got into the game yesterday but he's still a very good finisher, he took his goal at Villa Park last season well enough for instance.

Remember all his goals come from open play as obviously Baines owns the penalties there,

As I said however unlucky it is the reality is we signed Bent for 18m and now can't give him away. Everton won't have that issue with Lukaku.

At the moment Lukaku is playing far too wide. I noticed it in the Liverpool game where he was constantly on the right wing. Motd then highlighted it on Sunday that he was on the left. He needs to get himself more central to help the team out. Yes a few times last yr he cut off the wing with great effect but he needs to mix it up to stop being predictable.

Everton cannot afford a £28m players wages, long term. I doubt he will sign another contract with them, especially if he is as good as the price tag suggests. For me its a foolish move to pay that much money.

Like Benteke for us, he's better with the ball at his feet, if he's to hold the ball up.  Which is really what you'd expect Martinez to do, to relieve the defence of pressure.

I don't know what you've been watching but he isn't great with the ball at his feet, he is an explosive and instinctive player. It's a reason why Belgium struggled, they needed a forward who could lead the line, hold it up. When Lukaku gets behind he's lethal. When fans compare Lukaku and Benteke, they are two different players, one leads the line and plays well with his back to goal, the other likes making runs in behind and playing on the counter.

• Like 3

Â