Alan Hutton

Rich_D

He was excellent. And I like it when he bombs forward, by and large - you need players who can carry the ball on to the next phase. As long as it's not done too much, and players know how and when to cover him, then it's potentially an effective different attacking option. As we saw today. 

• Like 2

He was brilliant today. 

To be fair he's been brilliant for most of the season.  He's not a premier league player but he's a very good Championship player. 

He adds so much imputus to our play when on the left by cutting inside and driving forwards. 

OK often not a lot happens, but we are driving forwards instead of defending a Taylor hack forward which has come straight back to us. It changes the state of play. 

• Like 3

Was brilliant tonight. I've been a critic of him for a while but he's been pretty good this season and left back for some reason seems a much better fit for him than right back. He probably had his poorest game of the season at Brentford playing at right back.

Would be mad if our long term problem position is actually solved by someone who's been at the club for six years playing the other side!

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Another 1 year contract?

He certainly hasn't lost any of his pace and he actually is deceptively quick when running with the ball.

He'll be looking for more than 1 year and someone will offer it. 

Maybe is we don't get promoted we offer one but if we do go up then no. He's just not Premier League quality. 

• Like 1

Again he weirdly seems to look better at left back than right back.

His biggest problem is his final ball, which is almost guaranteed to be awful. When he plays on the left he seems to deliver a final ball less, and instead cut inside or bring others into the game. It's a surprising benefit to him.

• Like 2

Really enjoy watching him play left back, as you never know what he’s going to do when he gets the ball given that he’s not too confident on his left foot. Sometimes this is a bad thing (e.g. in the first 20 minutes yesterday he lost the ball once by trying to dribble out of a dangerous position and had nearly done the same twice more, but then he seemed to snap out of it after knocking out that Bristol player with a ball to the face), but his charging runs into midfield allow us to get the ball up the pitch with a much higher chance of retaining it than if we just lumped it up from the back as usual. Sometimes a bit of chaos is just what is needed for a team that struggles to create things (as we often do), and that’s certainly what happens when the Scottish Roberto Carlos gets going on one of his advances. Also, there was nothing chaotic about his assist for the fourth goal - what a pass!

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Maybe is we don't get promoted we offer one but if we do go up then no. He's just not Premier League quality. 

I agree. He's effective in the championship but if we go up we have to improve him. He does look better at left back though! It's as though he's improved.

The WM phone in bloke said he thinks he has to concentrate more at left back as he spaces out and makes mistakes playing right back.

• Like 1

I never thought I'd say this, but i wouldn't be adverse to offering him another 12 months when his contract runs out in the summer. 

Infact given our lack of cover at LB, it would possibly be foolish not to.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Then it would be time to part ways.

If we get promoted then no chance would he cut if, and if we stay down here his current salary is not going to be feasible.

He still earns a near enough PL salary by all accounts, so not only would I only offer a 1 year deal I would also like him to take a pay cut.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 08:01, sidcow said:

Just came to post this but already stated by Sid.

Agree, if we fail promotion then a one year extension absolutely, if we are promoted then I think it should be a case of thank you for this season and all the best to you.

• Thanks 1

Â