Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I think we can safely say after today's display that Baker would be a better choice for the final than Okore.

Couple of games ago he was supposed to have been immense played a great game etc etc etc then a bad game later (not just him but nearly all of them) and he's not good enough or worthy of starting the final. Came in in the semi and was dodgy for a short while which cost a goal but after that was assured. Next week when he has a good game it'll be back to must play great player again. Was a shit day for all yesterday but shit happens at least you can wipe it off and clean yourself. Bet we will see a different team turn up in that they will want to wipe this out if their system and get back to the team we all know they can be Okore included.

'shit happens' 'wipe it off and clean yourself' - some pretty graphic imagery there!

But yes, you're right, I was being overdramatic in annoyance. Okore has had a good season. Both he and Baker are capable of doing a good job in the final on their day, so whoever Sherwood picks is fine by me. 

How about Baker and Okore? Young pairing but plenty of pace and strength from Okore and height/strength from Baker :)

Both Baker and Okore seem to play off of the confidence of their partner IMO, and need a leader beside them, and I think the two of them together would probably be similar to when Clark and Baker played together last year, neither really prepared to grab the other and pull them up, and then you get performances like yesterday.

I think we can safely say after today's display that Baker would be a better choice for the final than Okore.

Couple of games ago he was supposed to have been immense played a great game etc etc etc then a bad game later (not just him but nearly all of them) and he's not good enough or worthy of starting the final. Came in in the semi and was dodgy for a short while which cost a goal but after that was assured. Next week when he has a good game it'll be back to must play great player again. Was a shit day for all yesterday but shit happens at least you can wipe it off and clean yourself. Bet we will see a different team turn up in that they will want to wipe this out if their system and get back to the team we all know they can be Okore included.

'shit happens' 'wipe it off and clean yourself' - some pretty graphic imagery there!

But yes, you're right, I was being overdramatic in annoyance. Okore has had a good season. Both he and Baker are capable of doing a good job in the final on their day, so whoever Sherwood picks is fine by me.

Lol

• Like 1

How about Baker and Okore? Young pairing but plenty of pace and strength from Okore and height/strength from Baker :)

I agree with this. I think Baker would have handled Pelle better yesterday.

I have a little idea that Vlaar and Okore might have been carrying knocks. They certainly played like it.

Baker and Okore are the future.

I think Baker would have handled Pelle better (it couldn't have been worse), but if Okore was carrying an injury why wasn't Baker either starting or brought on?

I don't like the thought of Okore and Baker as a pairing, not until one of them becomes more of a leader/organiser.

I think Baker would have handled Pelle better (it couldn't have been worse), but if Okore was carrying an injury why wasn't Baker either starting or brought on?

I don't like the thought of Okore and Baker as a pairing, not until one of them becomes more of a leader/organiser.

Baker wasn't on the bench, he's injured.

I agree with this. I think Baker would have handled Pelle better yesterday.

I have a little idea that Vlaar and Okore might have been carrying knocks. They certainly played like it.

Baker and Okore are the future.

Clark? Easily our best defender.

Clark and Okore as a partnership is not physical enough.Anichobie, Carroll, Fellaini, Giroud, just to name a few would be too much for them, Baker plus an injury free Vlaar kind of player would offer more physicality.

But has been a better partnership than any other for us, and I think have done well against a variety of attackers this year.

Clark and Okore as a partnership is not physical enough.Anichobie, Carroll, Fellaini, Giroud, just to name a few would be too much for them, Baker plus an injury free Vlaar kind of player would offer more physicality.

I think most would say Clark/Okore has been our most consistent and best CB pairing this season.

Hey ho.

• 1 month later...

Question of Sport: Nathan Baker Q&A

Defender talks us through his sporting interests.

0,,10265~13848557,00.jpg

Q] What was the first World Cup you remember watching?

A] The 2002 finals in Korea and Japan.

My school opened early in the morning so we could watch games before lessons.

Suddenly, all my mates had a Mohican haircut because David Beckham had one!

The first World Cup this chap remembers is 2002. He doesn't remember France '98, or Euro "Football's coming home" '96, or USA '94, or Italia '90. I'm only a few years older than the lad, but he's just made me feel old.

Thanks for that, Nathan.

Same as Luke Shaw who didn't even watch euro 2000.

I was born in 1989 and can't remember anything of euro 96, just what I've seen since but I do remember watching pretty much all of France 98 when I was 9.

Edited by VillaChris

Question of Sport: Nathan Baker Q&A

Defender talks us through his sporting interests.

0,,10265~13848557,00.jpg

Q] What was the first World Cup you remember watching?

A] The 2002 finals in Korea and Japan.

My school opened early in the morning so we could watch games before lessons.

Suddenly, all my mates had a Mohican haircut because David Beckham had one!

The first World Cup this chap remembers is 2002. He doesn't remember France '98, or Euro "Football's coming home" '96, or USA '94, or Italia '90. I'm only a few years older than the lad, but he's just made me feel old.

Thanks for that, Nathan.

The key word here is 'remember'.  After yet another head injury I fear for the on pitch mental breakdown when we next play at Upton Park or Turf Moor.

No disrespect to the lad, but if we are starting to build a decent sqaud. this guy should not be part of it. Great battler, but not a Premiership footballer for me, probably not even Championship level. Sorry nathan.

No disrespect to the lad, but if we are starting to build a decent sqaud. this guy should not be part of it. Great battler, but not a Premiership footballer for me, probably not even Championship level. Sorry nathan.

Gotta agree.  If there's a vacancy for some half-time entertainer than snaps oaks in half with his head or leaps head first from the top of the Holte End Baker should have a serious chat with the missus.

Â