Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

I think Weimann really sums up our style of play at the moment (N'Zogbia and Gabby too but especially Weimann).

The guy works incredibly hard and is usually so shattered by the end of the game that openings start to appear for the attacking team and we also miss the big chances when they come. See Gabby being a second off the pace for their equaliser and Andy's big miss.

The problem is the reason they are so shattered and spend all game chasing the ball around is that Weimann, N'Zogbia and Gabby all have terrible technique and are woefully incapable of making any inrodes into a tightly packed defense. Unless we are counter attacking they are completely nullified. Which means we cannot keep any kind of sustained possession and have to absorb a huge amount of pressure. This means the defense and central midfield are having to do a huge amount just to keep us in the game.

Now looking at the other options Richardson/Cleverly I think have better technique than all 3 and the work rate but do not have the weapons of pace or skill to worry most Premier league defences.

Joe Cole - maybe has the skill, definitely doesnt have the pace, and probably doesnt have the work rate. Hence him not getting much of a look in.

Jack Grealish - definitely has the skill and enough pace to cause a defence problems but I can only assume Lambert does not feel he has the work rate or game nous to be trusted in must win games. Hence him not getting much of a look in.

So all in all not much in the way of options. However why hasnt this area been addressed? Its been a weak area in our team since we sold Young and Downing in the same summer and replaced them with N'Zogbia. Last year we sold Albrighton and didnt replace him further weakening our wide attacking options.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

Worked absolutely tirelessly tonight.  His closing down was superb - a real plus in enabling us to hold on for the 3 points.

He has a tendency to let his runner go, they got a man in behind Hutton several times due to it.

He just seems like he gets any possession out wide. He plays like a right back. instructions from the coach? works very hard and i could see why Lambert didnt take him off like other games.

He closed down and pressed the opposition excellently vs Palace. One of his best performances over the last 12 months. Unlucky not to score that chance he created out of nothing. Need Gabby and Benteke to chase as much as Andi to relieve the pressure on the midfield and defence

He closed down and pressed the opposition excellently vs Palace. One of his best performances over the last 12 months. Unlucky not to score that chance he created out of nothing. Need Gabby and Benteke to chase as much as Andi to relieve the pressure on the midfield and defence

It worked tirelessly but i dont think he was unlucky not to score. He should have scored but it was virtually hit at the keeper. Finishing lets him down big time.

• Like 1

Such a terrible finisher. Until he improves this, he'll never be more than an average player.

I

It's not like he gets many chances out wide.

He is lucky if he gets one a game, and no striker is going to get into the rhythm of scoring from that.

His once chance usually comes after running his balls off for 60 minutes and being gone mentally and physically.

I think he could score 15+ playing up top but looks like that is not going to happen unfortunately.

Picked up another yellow last night so banned against Leicester - the vast majority of his bookings have been for gobbing off (something he needs to learn how to curb)

In fairness, the yellow last night was fine.  Palace were about to break on us (again!) so he handled the ball, acted badly hurt and took the yellow - relieving the pressure for a minute or so.  A shame that it leads to a suspension - especially if the bookings have been for dissent as you say - but a good card in the circumstances.

Picked up another yellow last night so banned against Leicester - the vast majority of his bookings have been for gobbing off (something he needs to learn how to curb)

In fairness, the yellow last night was fine.  Palace were about to break on us (again!) so he handled the ball, acted badly hurt and took the yellow - relieving the pressure for a minute or so.  A shame that it leads to a suspension - especially if the bookings have been for dissent as you say - but a good card in the circumstances.

He's frustrated, not just because he wants to win games but because he has to defend so often and never be in front of goal. He does mouth off a lot though, needs to curb that.

The suspension might be a good thing for us, I personally would be quite happy if someone stepped in and took his position on a permanent basis, under those circumstances we might actually see him playing up top and he really does know where the back of the net is.

He's missed some chances but you know what so has Benteke and Gabby, he's still out most consistent striker (apart from Tekkers) and his record as a striker is very good, he is similar to Bent but with a desire to help around the park, not a bad thing in my eyes even if I'm not sure he's Premiership quality.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Â