Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I've softened my view of Delph overnight...he was clearly struggling with the decision because he had a real attachment to Villa. We've all had to make hard choices and who of us hasn't reversed a decision... Even twice...I don't think he's guilty of greed as he was already rich...I think he is guilty of being a bit of a flake, and being under a microscope has only made his dithering look even worse. Hes a young guy who had a massive decision to make. All his loyalty talk should've been taken with a pinch of salt just like with any player. All this said, I hope he gets plenty of stick at VP, just not OTT abuse. At the end of the day, he is completely replaceable, and his record with Villa proves it. I almost feel sorry for him cuz he's ruined his career.

• Like 1

Best way to deal with this is to ignore him from now on. Make him feel as if he wasn't a loss at all. This goes for his first game at VP too. Treat him like any other City player. No biggie.

Edited by AVTuco

Putting our hatred of Delph aside for a moment.

I think he'll see a lot more playing time then people think he will.

Possibly. Though I don't think he's as good a player as Milner still is, I think he's better than Fernandino and Fernando (though I can also never remember which one is which).

Basically, I think City took a backwards step here and that Delph is very replaceable for Aston Villa never mind him being "good enough" for the club Manchester City want to be. I don't think he's ruined his career or anything as hyperbolic as that, but I don't think he'll stay at the top long term.

He's 6th - 10th quality basically. Great dribbler, tenacious, good leadership skills but very little end product and he goes missing. If I didn't hate him so much I'd be very interested to see his career progress.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how well he fits in at City.

Both Barry and Milner looked slightly out of place amongst the thoroughbreds but their positive contribution was undeniable.

Delph certainly seems unlikely to out-dazzle his team-mates but he could do for City what Kevin Richardson did for Everton, Arsenal and Villa.

Holding out for a five-year deal was certainly astute but does suggest the money had far more to do with his decision than he claims.

No doubt he'll be taking his missus to look at the houses in Wilmslow in the next few weeks. 

I'm obviously nowhere near as angry as most in here.

I'd say he probably deeply regrets the manner in which this has all happened. Yes it's through his own doing, but still. He probably even thinks he's a bit of a dick now, based on the manner of his Citeh interview. If he could do it all again I'd say there's no doubt he'd just move first time around and it would have prevented the whole deeply-regrettable loyalty spiel and the embarrassing u-turn.

I don't actually think he's a bad bloke. Quite the opposite. He thought enough of us to have second thoughts. To have that crisis of conscience and then eventually and correctly decided on what was best for him. But it can't have been easy to say no to City the first time. I really don't think he has moved for the money. I think he's someone who tried to keep everyone happy, and that simply doesn't work. He ultimately made the best decision for himself, but not before plenty of soul-searching that most players wouldn't have bothered with.

I've no hard feelings and I hope and expect he goes there and is a revelation surrounded by those players. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he usurped one of Fernando or Fernandinho in that midfield.

It's a pity it ended the way it did because he's a huge reason we're still in the Premier League. It has clearly left a bitter taste in most people's mouths but for me the whole u-u-turn actually shows me how difficult it was for him to leave us for the glitz and glamour of City and that tells me something (positive) about the guy. We should have been patting him on the back, thanking him for his service and wishing him well in his next chapter. But here we are.

Ultimately he's going to get pelters off the Villa faithful though, which is a bit of a pity IMO but that's the nature of the beast.

And as for the thread title. I think it's petty, it's pathetic and I thought we were better than that.

Having had a bit of time to calm down, I agree with most of this. Although, I still won't mind if he gets booed and hissed at for 90 mins as long as it doesn't cross any of the obvious lines.

Agree with BOF, while the u-turn and his comments were quite embarassing, there's no reason to hate him. It's the right move for his career.

One player keeps his mouth shut but has shown he'd be out of the door as soon as possible and goes to a club outside of top 4. We wish him well.

The other is genuinely torn between staying at Villa or going to a top 2 team ffs, while admittedly spouting a lot of bull, and he gets abuse? Not right imo. 

The anger is about his handling of the move.  For whatever reason, he broke his word.  Yes, he may have had second thoughts but he should have said, “No, I have made a decision and a commitment to the club.”  I don’t care how good the opportunity was, after making his declaration that is what he should have done, in my book anyway.  Truth to be told he could have secured a big move next year which would have been fine.  For the sake of another season with us, he was willing to completely destroy his relationship with the club and the fans and for that I doubt many will find it in their hearts to forgive him; even as the anger subsides with time.  

Â