Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Think he's off in the summer. Think it was all a PR stunt to take the pressure off lambert and to obv get a fee. Didn't last long.

Was thinking about one of his comments today.

'Leaving villa for free just didn't sit well with me'.

He knew villa wanted him to stay, he said himself that he was always staying. So why even the thought of leaving for free? Leaving at all in fact?

why would he miss out on a big signing on fee to sign a new contract

Think he's off in the summer. Think it was all a PR stunt to take the pressure off lambert and to obv get a fee. Didn't last long.

Was thinking about one of his comments today.

'Leaving villa for free just didn't sit well with me'.

He knew villa wanted him to stay, he said himself that he was always staying. So why even the thought of leaving for free? Leaving at all in fact?

Wow. 

I really don't get the surprise to my post.

If he always knew he was staying and villa never expressed anything other than keeping him, why has he even been contemplating whether it would sit well with him if he left on a free?

It's a fair enough question.

If he always knew he was staying and villa never expressed anything other than keeping him, why has he even been contemplating whether it would sit well with him if he left on a free?

Delph signed a new contract because he felt compelled to repay the club for the loyalty shown, whilst also buying into Tom Fox's vision for the future. It's as simply as that (IMO). It's only natural for him to weight up his options with months remaining on his current deal.

• Like 2

i think we've promised him the armband, which i think at the moment puts us out of the frying pan and in to the fire

might be popular off the field but im not sure he's got it in him on it to be the captain

Who cares? The captain in football doesn't do anything.

i think we've promised him the armband, which i think at the moment puts us out of the frying pan and in to the fire

might be popular off the field but im not sure he's got it in him on it to be the captain

Who cares? The captain in football doesn't do anything.

Really? Right.

Anyway, I was very disappointed with Delph on Sunday. You'd thunk he'd be up for it after signing the new contract. Bollocks.

Agree with you 100%

We no doubt gave him a) a hefty signing bonus and B) a nice rise in weekly wage

So he hasn't foregone a shitload of money that he's never going to see again and he'll get another nice little bonus and another nice pay rise when he does sign elsewhere in the next 18 months.

He's not given us the next 4 years of his career, he's given us a compensation figurefor sticking by him through injuries, and you know what? I have no issue with it.

Really poor today I thought aside from that 10 minute spell when we scored and looked a decent team

I don't think he's been great for a while tbh compared to the level he was showing for a good 12 months previously.

I hope it isn't the case of a player getting a bumper new deal and then going on easy street especially as Delph seems to have acquired Messiah levels with that extension amongst the fanbase.

He hasn't been at his best for a while, and although he has been making too many mistakes he has also been doing a lot of good things. I prefer that he tries to make things happen rather than just pass that responsibility over all the time.

• Like 1

Â