Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

You seemed to be suggesting that because he didn't sign a new contract ages ago, he's somehow disloyal.

I think that's what irks some people.

My point is it doesn't really matter how long he took, he signed. And the reality is he didn't need to. He could quite easily have let his contract run out and gone somewhere better, and for more money, in the Summer.

Maybe he knows something we don't, takeovers and other conspiracy theories. But if he does, that just lines up with what he said about us having a big future and him being able to realise his ambition with us.

You also seemed to be annoyed by Delph going on about how big a club we are. Which is just downright bizarre.

• Like 3

You seemed to be suggesting that because he didn't sign a new contract ages ago, he's somehow disloyal.

My point is it doesn't really matter how long he took, he signed. And the reality is he didn't need to. He could quite easily have let his contract run out and gone somewhere better, and for more money, in the Summer.

Maybe he knows something we don't, takeovers and other conspiracy theories. But if he does, that just lines up with what he said about us having a big future and him being able to realise his ambition with us.

You also seemed to be annoyed by Delph going on about how big a club we are. Which is just downright bizarre.

First paragraph: I can see how that maybe comes across but that's not the case. I don't think it shows disloyalty, I just don't think it shows the level of loyalty that he is portraying when he says: there was no way I was leaving.

Agree with paragraph 2/3.

Final paragraph: I've no idea how I've portrayed that, but it's untrue.

First paragraph: I can see how that maybe comes across but that's not the case. I don't think it shows disloyalty, I just don't think it shows the level of loyalty that he is portraying when he says: there was no way I was leaving.

Agree with paragraph 2/3.

Final paragraph: I've no idea how I've portrayed that, but it's untrue.

Good luck with the champions league dream tho fab!! Admire your optimism but you haven't got a prayer.

That doesn't read as a sincere sentence. Edited by Stevo985

How does that show I'm annoyed???

It reads as a snidy, unnecessarily negative comment.

Especially considering there is so much to be happy with regarding this news and you choose that to focus on.

Edited by StefanAVFC

The only sort of downside for me is that we're probably now having to pay him in excess of his actual contribution.  He's still one of our better players though, and I hope that Lambert can get more out of him.

The only sort of downside for me is that we're probably now having to pay him in excess of his actual contribution.  He's still one of our better players though, and I hope that Lambert can get more out of him.

He's definitely improved under him so far so I'm hopeful he will continue to. He seems like a guy who won't be happy until he's reached his full potential.

Something occurred to me about our midfield three - I think I like them all, both as players and because they're I dunno, sort of likeable, they've got characters I think - the big smiley one with the silly hair, the serious ay-oop working class Yorkshireman and the impish young Spanish blade. Thinking about that, it's been a while really since I liked too many of our players. I like these three.

I also think that whether you see Fabian as a working class hero in a trashy world, or a machiavellian schemer looking for the door, what he's done by saying yes to staying here has changed the way that a lot of other people will look at the club. There's a journalistic "Why has he done that then?" that's made them think about which box they've put the club in and for both our players and players who might one day look at joining the club there'll be a little bit more thought to a Villa future. That future was dead on it's arse last week, and regardless of his motivation, Delph has put a spark back in it. There's still a pulse in the old girl and that news might be the best bit of this deal.

Terrific post.

And I love that midfield three as well.

• Like 1

How does that show I'm annoyed???

It reads as a snidy, unnecessarily negative comment.

Especially considering there is so much to be happy with regarding this news and you choose that to focus on.

Lol.

Let's be honest Stefan, 99% of what I put is seen by you as unnecessarily negative.

For me, it's just realistic. And unfortunately, and I do mean unfortunately, more often than not, my realistic/negative view ends up being not far off the money when compared to your positive/dreamland views.

I was unnecessarily negative (according to some, not you) about bent during his first season... Low n behold.

I was unnecessarily negative about vlaars injury record.... Low n behold.

I was unnecessarily negative about Westwood.....he's struggling to make the impact of a superb player that you and others have suggested he is.

I was one of a few who was unnecessarily negative about the sot/goals at the start of the season when we were winning....... Low n behold.

Although it appears it, this is not me blowing my own trumpet. This are not mind blowing predictions I'm making here, it's just staring us in the face. And I'm stunned that people seem to overlook these and see things that really are not there, and then criticise others who don't quite agree with their 'claret n blue specs' opinion.

I'm prepared at this point to believe that the something unusual in this equation is Fabian Delph.

Another factor could be that unlike in the Doug years the club actually seems to be run well with a nice atmosphere and good respect for the players and staff. It has also been widely reported that Aston Villa are an excellent club to deal with for transfers (notably in the original Delph deal) so it's likely Villa Park/Bodymoor Heath is good place to go to work everyday. 

Edited by villa89

You sound absolutely delighted that you were proved correct regarding bad things to happen to the club. Go you!

I wouldn't say my views are positive, nor dreamland. I'm optimistic about the club I support. Like every fan should be IMO. I get no pleasure in being negative (like you seem to, again IMO) and I am only negative when I'm totally sure on what I'm saying.

Personally I just can't comprehend how a fan of a team can look at a situation and immediately see the worst case scenario in it. Regardless of whether you're right or wrong in the long run.

For example this. You've taken the news of Delph signing, not as a 'fantastic that we can still attract players to sign with us' or that Delph is loyal, but instead choosing to be overly cynical and negative about it, looking for all the reasons that he's lying to us or the bad reasons why he may have signed again with us.

You may be right in the long run, but I just don't understand your reasoning. 

Being right seems more important to you than enjoying your football team. And when that becomes the case, then maybe it's time to step away from football for a little while as it seems you're incapable of enjoying it anymore.

I know that within myself, if I ever became as cynical about everything to do with Villa as you are, I would step away from football. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

You sound absolutely delighted that you were proved correct regarding bad things to happen to the club. Go you!

I wouldn't say my views are positive, nor dreamland. I'm optimistic about the club I support. Like every fan should be IMO. I get no pleasure in being negative (like you seem to, again IMO) and I am only negative when I'm totally sure on what I'm saying.

Personally I just can't comprehend how a fan of a team can look at a situation and immediately see the worst case scenario in it. Regardless of whether you're right or wrong in the long run.

For example this. You've taken the news of Delph signing, not as a 'fantastic that we can still attract players to sign with us' or that Delph is loyal, but instead choosing to be overly cynical and negative about it, looking for all the reasons that he's lying to us or the bad reasons why he may have signed again with us.

You may be right in the long run, but I just don't understand your reasoning.

Being right seems more important to you than enjoying your football team. And when that becomes the case, then maybe it's time to step away from football for a little while as it seems you're incapable of enjoying it anymore.

I know that within myself, if I ever became as cynical about everything to do with Villa as you are, I would step away from football.

Pretty sure I said I was pleased with him signing: once, twice even three times. But don't let that get in your way.

All I said was that I felt that his reasoning contradicted the wait for it to occur. That is it! All this from that?

Perhaps you look at my posts in the same cynical/negative way you believe I look at aston villa. After all, you only ever highlight and then falsely enhance the parts that don't quite lord the club in the optimistic way you see fit.

With that in mind, perhaps it's time (and I've suggested this before) to avoid reading my posts/replying, just like you've advised me to do with regards aston villa, which by the way, I did to some extent, quite a while ago and have voiced this on here.

Something occurred to me about our midfield three - I think I like them all, both as players and because they're I dunno, sort of likeable, they've got characters I think - the big smiley one with the silly hair, the serious ay-oop working class Yorkshireman and the impish young Spanish blade. Thinking about that, it's been a while really since I liked too many of our players. I like these three.

I also think that whether you see Fabian as a working class hero in a trashy world, or a machiavellian schemer looking for the door, what he's done by saying yes to staying here has changed the way that a lot of other people will look at the club. There's a journalistic "Why has he done that then?" that's made them think about which box they've put the club in and for both our players and players who might one day look at joining the club there'll be a little bit more thought to a Villa future. That future was dead on it's arse last week, and regardless of his motivation, Delph has put a spark back in it. There's still a pulse in the old girl and that news might be the best bit of this deal.

Terrific post.

And I love that midfield three as well.

Ha I was reading that and thinking how on earth can you like Cleverley, probably one of the most non-descript players we've had playing for us in year and then realise the three you were on about.

I'm interested to see how we set up in the next two games. I don't see us playing Gil in a three, more we'll have him floating around the two strikers e.g the phantom role Cleverley hilariously flopped in against Liverpool.

So for Arsenal I see it Westwood and Sanchez sitting infront of the back 4 and assuming Delph is fit he'll be more of the forward thinking of the trio and try to get up to support Gil and the strikers.

Surely to god that is a midfield that is balanced, can defend and pass. Maybe not enough to trouble Arsenal or Chelsea but can pose problems to bottom half teams.

I hope so as we need to be winning those games from now on given the league position.

Â