Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

It's a bit naive to think that Fabian has sacrificed any massive hike in wages or a signing on fee because he chose to stay with us over moving on a free in the summer.

Of course he got a big signing on fee with us. We've effectively bought him again. It's not that he's done us a massive favour, or that he's being really loyal. He's gotten his signing on fee from us, rather than Spurs or Liverpool. Probably a little less from us because he's guaranteed first team football here and his best mate Gabby is here, but don't be fooled into thinking that loyalty played any part in keeping him at Villa. 

This Champions League stuff is him saving face because he hasn't moved to a club with a bit more ambition like Spurs or Liverpool. His agent negotiated a superb contract for him to stay here. Probably used a good slice of the Bent wages to keep him.

• Like 3

I read a post on here not long back where the poster claimed that Delph wanted to leave for money and ambition (in that order) Given the fantastic news on Sunday, these claims were highly insulting and further proof not to trust so-called ITK's.

galavant-downton-abbey-hugh-bonneville-p

• Like 1

At our best we are fully capable of competing with the likes Spurs and Liverpool, we are also capable of becoming a regular top 8 side. People underestimate the potential of this club. If any of our players try to aspire for better, it is shouted down by the naysayers. What is deceptive or wrong with saying "I don’t see why playing in the Champions League for Villa isn’t possible by the end of my contract."?

Put it this way, if Tottenham and Everton can finish in a Champions League place - we can too. Keep the dream alive guys!

• Like 2

All this talk hangs on finances. 

I wonder if these few years of staying up and spending little and massively reducing wage bill means we might be in a better position. 

Who knows Fox may have found us a few better deals to improve our revenue outside of Sky deal. Meaning reduction in wages plus more revenue could mean we have a nice pot to go into the summer with. 

I still don't think it will be loads, but if you spend £15m in the right way with say two really good £7.5m signings, That's Benteke fee territory. 

Maybe we will have something more than £5m to spend this summer?

It's a bit naive to think that Fabian has sacrificed any massive hike in wages or a signing on fee because he chose to stay with us over moving on a free in the summer.

Of course he got a big signing on fee with us. We've effectively bought him again. It's not that he's done us a massive favour, or that he's being really loyal. He's gotten his signing on fee from us, rather than Spurs or Liverpool. Probably a little less from us because he's guaranteed first team football here and his best mate Gabby is here, but don't be fooled into thinking that loyalty played any part in keeping him at Villa

This Champions League stuff is him saving face because he hasn't moved to a club with a bit more ambition like Spurs or Liverpool. His agent negotiated a superb contract for him to stay here. Probably used a good slice of the Bent wages to keep him.

I wanted to highlight the bit's I really disagree with...

1. Ask Buffon or Giggsy about the loyalty stuff. It does exist, and although I thought he would have gone, he proved me wrong. I am not being naive in thinking that his wages took a hit, because I am more or less positive that he could have got more money in London, even from a team like West Ham, let alone Spurs. I want to believe there are players like Giggs, and I hope Fabian is ours. Is it naive? I dont think so, at least no more then saying that money is all that matters to him. We just don't know.

2.Probably his fee was big. How big? I dont know. Again, I am a positive that it is nowhere near as high as he would have in different clubs. So why did he stay?

3.Loyalty could have played a part and it this case we have all the evidence that it did.

4.I am a manager in a bar. If I say that I want my bar to increase it's profits by 40% in 4 years am I out of order? I think he will be Captain, and I think as a good leader, he want better things for this team.

5.Did he negotiate a superb contract? We have no idea.

I just think there are a lot of pessimist assumptions in your post (which could of course be true!) but I want to believe that as one of our leaders, he will want to be challanging for greater things with the team that he committed his future with.

• Like 3

Not for me. Assists yes, goals aren't a necessity (although they'd obviously be nice)

His job should be drive from midfield and feed people like Gil, Benteke and whoever we have on the wing.

• Like 1

At our best we are fully capable of competing with the likes Spurs and Liverpool, we are also capable of becoming a regular top 8 side. People underestimate the potential of this club. If any of our players try to aspire for better, it is shouted down by the naysayers. What is deceptive or wrong with saying "I don’t see why playing in the Champions League for Villa isn’t possible by the end of my contract."?

Put it this way, if Tottenham and Everton can finish in a Champions League place - we can too. Keep the dream alive guys!

I'll have what your drinking.

• Like 1

Of course he got a big signing on fee with us. We've effectively bought him again. It's not that he's done us a massive favour, or that he's being really loyal. He's gotten his signing on fee from us, rather than Spurs or Liverpool. Probably a little less from us because he's guaranteed first team football here and his best mate Gabby is here, but don't be fooled into thinking that loyalty played any part in keeping him at Villa. 

I'm not a massive Delph fan, and didn't think it was necessary to overpay for him to stay. But it's a nice confidence boost for the team in these dark times.

• Like 1

I'll have what Yillan's drinking. He seems to know more about Fabian Delph than Fabian Delph does.

Oh please. It's very nice to think that Fabian Delph loves AVFC as much as you do and wants to stay here forever and ever and become a club legend in a period at the club that most will hope to forget, but it's the opinion of maybe an 8 year old.

Everything that has come out since he signed the contract has been retrospective posturing. Tom Fox is talking journeys. This club is on a journey. Every club is on a journey. Read the promotional literature Aston Villa send to potential sponsors about the proud history and now this journey. All sort of filters on pictures of the ground and the gates to make it look like a mystical land where the walls chant Villa. At the end of the day, you're still getting your plastic glass of beer and your pie, doing a running poo and watching Villa play really terrible terrible football.

Fabian Delph was not convinced of the 'journey' Villa are on any more than I am. Sure his relationship with Villa might be worth a million to him, but no more. £3 million+ is almost the same to him as it is to you or I. I would perform a sex act on a smelly tramp every day for an entire year for £3 million. I think Fabian Delph would probably be able to handle moving up to North London for four years.

Fabian Delph was not convinced of the 'journey' Villa are on any more than I am. Sure his relationship with Villa might be worth a million to him, but no more. £3 million+ is almost the same to him as it is to you or I. I would perform a sex act on a smelly tramp every day for an entire year for £3 million. I think Fabian Delph would probably be able to handle moving up to North London for four years.

Are you arguing with yourself here? You're saying that Villa isn't a place that he should want to be, and that he could have earned a fortune by moving away, but that his reasons for staying can only be financial? I presume I'm misunderstanding you.

I know it seems unlikely in the world we live in that he'd want to stay out of loyalty or because he's happy here - but in the absence of any better reason (because he could have found a club that paid more and he could have a found a club that was achieving more) I don't think we can do more than take him at his word. I'm sure he's not poor and I'm sure he's being very well compensated, but I don't doubt he could have got more - so why stay?

• Like 2

Are you arguing with yourself here? You're saying that Villa isn't a place that he should want to be, and that he could have earned a fortune by moving away, but that his reasons for staying can only be financial? I presume I'm misunderstanding you.

I know it seems unlikely in the world we live in that he'd want to stay out of loyalty or because he's happy here - but in the absence of any better reason (because he could have found a club that paid more and he could have a found a club that was achieving more) I don't think we can do more than take him at his word. I'm sure he's not poor and I'm sure he's being very well compensated, but I don't doubt he could have got more - so why stay?

I think we're probably worth maybe a million to him over the course of the 4 years. I really can't see any 25 year old turning down money like that. Can you? Two million pounds to a 25 year old. Short career etc, and when he goes and meets up with England, he doesn't want to be made fun of by all the richer boys.

What I was trying to say there in my own very incoherent way was that people think he didn't get the big bucks that he could have earned elsewhere, because he was loyal to us. I'm saying that the temptation of the £3 million+ he could have gotten elsewhere should colour our understanding of what went on across that contract negotiation table, rather than what Tom Fox and Fabian would have us believe, which is that he stayed because of a sense of loyalty to the club. And so therefore he was paid what he would have gotten had he switched clubs, or near enough. Within a million I reckon. My point is that he shouldn't be lauded for having renounced all his possessions for the good of the club or anything close to that.

I'm explaining this terribly. Some fans think Delph did us a huge favour and sacrificed a lot of money because he wanted to stay at Villa. I'm saying that he didn't. He got almost the same amount from us as he would have gotten elsewhere. Of course he did. Yes he might have agreed to earn maybe one million less over the course of the contract, but no more. What 25 year old would turn down an extra £2 million over four years? No 25 year old.

Edited by yillan

My god, he isn't half parading the 'please praise me for being loyal' banner is he?

Be a lot more impressive if you didn't bang on about it. And wtf, has living on a council estate got to do with it?

Good luck with the champions league dream tho fab!! Admire your optimism but you haven't got a prayer.

I'll have what Yillan's drinking. He seems to know more about Fabian Delph than Fabian Delph does.

I'd say he's got it pretty much spot on tbh.

I think PL pretty much implied this when he rhetorically asked how much it would cost to replace Delph. $15million (pounds) I think he said. So giving him a bumper pay rise still equates to saving if you're going to keep a player who is hopefully keeping you in the premier league. Vlaar on the other hand might not be offered the same payrise...? 

Players can't win can they?

Fabian's going on about how great a club we are and how he wants to realise his ambition with us.

Fine it might be posturing, but why is he getting slated for it?

What do you want him to say?
"I don't give a shit. But they offered me more money so I'll take it. It's just a job!"

**** sake lads, cheer the **** up for once in your life.

• Like 2

Â