Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Players can't win can they?

**** sake lads, cheer the **** up for once in your life.

This. Anyone moaning about what Delph said or him signing a new deal needs their head examined. It's great news, end of.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Until someone has been proven to be a liar or to have lied, why do we have to doubt what they say?

Because the last 3 months have totally and utterly contradicted his words over the last couple of days.

I'm looking forward to people's excuse for him waiting so long now he's told us he's not orientated by money.

I repeat (in response to the other posts), keeping Fabian Delph is a good thing. But im not buying his reasons. That's all.

It's strange how a manager, owner or chief exec (who nobody wants) can talk the club up and it's all lies/pr nonsense. Soon as the players (who I believe and have always believed are the biggest con artists - certainly at this club ATM) do it, it's all ok, and quickly their poor form is forgotten, they should become future captain and a legend in the making.

The positive PR means naff all though in this sense. He made the choice to sign for another 4 years. He is justifying his words immediately. That's the main difference between a manager, owner or CEO spouting PR. A player can justify their words straight away. Whereas, an owner can say 'the future will be bright blah blah blah' with nothing to back it up.

IMO, you're looking for a reason to find the negative, in what is fantastic news for the club and has given the fans a huge lift. Which baffles me. I just don't see where the negative is here.

If he stays with us for 4 years, great.

If he goes in the summer we'll get fantastic money for him.

If he stays for another 2 years, we'll have got 2 more years out of one of our best players and some money as well.

There is literally no reason to be negative here IMO.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

The positive PR means naff all though in this sense. He made the choice to sign for another 4 years. He is justifying his words immediately. That's the main difference between a manager, owner or CEO spouting PR. A player can justify their words straight away. Whereas, an owner can say 'the future will be bright blah blah blah' with nothing to back it up.

IMO, you're looking for a reason to find the negative, in what is fantastic news for the club and has given the fans a huge lift. Which baffles me. I just don't see where the negative is here.

If he stays with us for 4 years, great.

If he goes in the summer we'll get fantastic money for him.

If he stays for another 2 years, we'll have got 2 more years out of one of our best players.

There is literally no reason to be negative here IMO.

Well first of all, just to repeat for an umpteenth time. I don't find the news negative! I agree wholeheartedly with your 3rd paragraph.

Secondly, you're right: a player can justify their words instantly. They can even say their words, just after they've justified them. Like in this case. Why didn't he tell us all this some months ago? Again, waiting for the right/best offer etc doesn't stack up here as a reason because he isn't money orientated, he WAS always staying and he's a family man! Why not tell us all this beforehand? - not that he has to tell us in either instance.

In fact your whole point regarding players justifying their words instantly should show you how easy their words are to justify. REAL, promises that are difficult to deliver, take time and often incur obstacles. What he has said isn't unique at all in the world. In the world of football maybe, and Fabian knows this, as he's highlighted it in his words, making his supposed loyalty stand out even more.

Notice he didn't say: I will take villa to the champions league! Because that's a promise that is difficult to deliver - and he wouldn't want to look like a liar now, would he? :)

My point goes further than the actual contract signing: I'm pleased with that like the rest of the fans, so I won't acknowledge any more posts suggesting otherwise.

It will be interesting to see which way this one goes. How many of us see gabby as loyal, 6 months after signing a new contract? I'd suggest most wouldn't see similar words from gabby, as so truthful.

Do people actually remember a certain Benteke handing in a transfer request before signing a new deal? It's football but it's also a job.

There are many factors to be considered with Delph ,prehaps Lerner has legally Adopted him ?

I don't know but who cares , he has signed on for a few more years and this is good news.

I don't think anyone, not even Delph, is saying he didn't consider his options before staying.

Just because he thought about going elsewhere doesn't mean he's disloyal.

The point remains that he COULD have gone elsewhere. He could have left on a free and someone, probably better than us, would have picked him up and someone would probably have paid him more than us.

He has sacrificed both wages and success to stay here, at least in the short term.

People are talking as if he only signed because he had no other option.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone, not even Delph, is saying he didn't consider his options before staying.

The point remains that he COULD have gone elsewhere. He could have left on a free and someone, probably better than us, would have picked him up and someone would probably have paid him more than us.

He has sacrificed both wages and success to stay here, at least in the short term.

Yeah but damn that Delph. PR spouting mercenary!!!

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

It's a bit naive to think that Fabian has sacrificed any massive hike in wages or a signing on fee because he chose to stay with us over moving on a free in the summer.

Of course he got a big signing on fee with us. We've effectively bought him again. It's not that he's done us a massive favour, or that he's being really loyal. He's gotten his signing on fee from us, rather than Spurs or Liverpool. Probably a little less from us because he's guaranteed first team football here and his best mate Gabby is here, but don't be fooled into thinking that loyalty played any part in keeping him at Villa

This Champions League stuff is him saving face because he hasn't moved to a club with a bit more ambition like Spurs or Liverpool. His agent negotiated a superb contract for him to stay here. Probably used a good slice of the Bent wages to keep him.

I wanted to highlight the bit's I really disagree with...

1. Ask Buffon or Giggsy about the loyalty stuff. It does exist, and although I thought he would have gone, he proved me wrong. I am not being naive in thinking that his wages took a hit, because I am more or less positive that he could have got more money in London, even from a team like West Ham, let alone Spurs. I want to believe there are players like Giggs, and I hope Fabian is ours. Is it naive? I dont think so, at least no more then saying that money is all that matters to him. We just don't know.

Giggsy and Buffon won masses of trophies at their respective clubs, earned loads of money and played in World Cups, they had no need to leave. I wonder if they would have been so loyal if they played for Wigan and Torino?

At our best we are fully capable of competing with the likes Spurs and Liverpool, we are also capable of becoming a regular top 8 side. People underestimate the potential of this club. If any of our players try to aspire for better, it is shouted down by the naysayers. What is deceptive or wrong with saying "I don’t see why playing in the Champions League for Villa isn’t possible by the end of my contract."?

Put it this way, if Tottenham and Everton can finish in a Champions League place - we can too. Keep the dream alive guys!

Two things that might be a problem there - the owner and the manager.

I do not expect players to be loyal, it is their job, and I do not have a problem with that, they should have ambition.

I am also not convinced about Delph's performances, and think he needs to improve, but he is certainly our best midfielder after Sanchez.

I do think his signing is excellent, though, as it sends a positive message about the club to supporters and others.

As for his sacrifice, I am not convinced that there were serious enquiries about him.

I do not expect players to be loyal, it is their job, and I do not have a problem with that, they should have ambition.

I am also not convinced about Delph's performances, and think he needs to improve, but he is certainly our best midfielder after Sanchez.

I do think his signing is excellent, though, as it sends a positive message about the club to supporters and others.

As for his sacrifice, I am not convinced that there were serious enquiries about him.

There didn't need to be serious enquiries about him.

If anyone thinks Delph wouldn't have been signed, for free, in the summer by a club better than us and get paid more than he is now then they're kidding themselves.

Nobody is suggesting that at all. All I am suggesting is that I don't fully buy his reasoning as some have.

Why the fact that I don't buy it, seems such a big issue I'm not sure. Nor am I sure why people see it as a negative slant either.

My initial reaction to it occurring was one of complete shock, and tbh, I instantly thought takeover - however I've read a few things that have changed my mind on that one.

A negative view of this would be highlighting that it's a bad move for the club because of his poor form.

Â