Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

To be fair, he's not a left mid

Thing is, I'm not really sure what he is. Sounds a bit stupid but I don't really seem him as an attacking midfielder or a defensive midfielder. He's a bit of a jack of all trades really. 

Edited by PieFacE

Nice dribbles. Nothing at the end of it.

Cant see him signing a new deal if hes expecting the £55k pw. Might well be shipped out I reckon.

Yes he dribbles well but a lot of the time it goes nowhere. Maybe we are too static, or maybe its lack of awareness of players around him! I was dissaponted with that shot in the first half and the way he lost the ball for the 2nd goal.

His run where he did a million step overs was hilarious.  OK it was mostly not his fault, because everybody was standing around as usual, but you could almost hear him thinking, "shit, nobody to pass to, do another stepover, yikes, here scomes Mertesacker, another step over it is then, shall I have a shot, nah, another stepover....."

Cant see him signing a new deal if hes expecting the £55k pw. Might well be shipped out I reckon.

Yes he dribbles well but a lot of the time it goes nowhere. Maybe we are too static, or maybe its lack of awareness of players around him! I was dissaponted with that shot in the first half and the way he lost the ball for the 2nd goal.

Good point!

As HH mentioned before he was gagged by a communist regime, he needs to start playing allot better to justify his 55k per week wages. Was actually pretty shocked to hear he was on that.

where did this statement come from? always thought he was on 35k

Yes he dribbles well but a lot of the time it goes nowhere. Maybe we are too static, or maybe its lack of awareness of players around him!

Or Delph lacks awareness on the ball. He seems to just want to run forever without any thought of an outlet. 

This topic really does prove you're only as good as your last game with a lot of fans.

Well to be honest ive always been consistent in my criticisms of him for which I mostly got slated. However when he performs well I give him due props.

I love him, he's brilliant, could do with a bit more movement from his team mates at times.

His technical ability is underrated (Now I'm not saying he's amazingly gifted, he can't trap a ball but at least he runs after it as soon as he knocks it in front of him) as is his intelligence (he runs in to dead ends because there's either no one to pass to or he gets in to this mentality of thinking he has to do it all alone).

He needs to calm his temper down and become a little bit cuter and it'll all be there.

Norwich-City-v-Aston-Villa-Premier-Leagu

And yes I said I love him and used the word cuter. If you pick me up on this you owe me a million pound for you being so silly.

• Like 2

A lot of the criticism towards Delph stems from the fact that we have almost zero creativity in the middle of the park.  For example, people say he has no end product.  Now this is fine, and fair enough really as he doesn't, but that shouldn't (in my opinion) be his main role - it's just that alongside Westwood and KEA, he actively looks like a more attacking player.

What works for him is his engine and ability to run with the ball.  His passing/awareness needs to improve but there have been games where he has absolutely bossed the midfield (esp against Chelsea).  If we continue to play a midfield trio and get a genuine creator in there, I think Delph will flourish.

• Like 2

This topic really does prove you're only as good as your last game with a lot of fans.

Well to be honest ive always been consistent in my criticisms of him for which I mostly got slated. However when he performs well I give him due props.

That's why i said a lot of fans. I know some have been consistent in their criticism. Unjustly, imo, but they're obviously entitled to their opinion.

But all season he's been one of our best players, and this topic has reflected as much. Now it seems like a bad game vs Arsenal (I didn't see most of the game so can't comment) and the overwhelming opinion has shifted dramatically to him not being very good.

That's why i said a lot of fans. I know some have been consistent in their criticism. Unjustly, imo, but they're obviously entitled to their opinion.

But all season he's been one of our best players, and this topic has reflected as much. Now it seems like a bad game vs Arsenal (I didn't see most of the game so can't comment) and the overwhelming opinion has shifted dramatically to him not being very good.

Very much this he didnt even play that bad. Lets not forget that for most of the game he was a big part of us taking it to one of the league leaders.

Yes he missed a good chance, not a crime.

Yes he had a mazy run which ended in a dead end. This was as much to do with our shape at that point. Our two attackers were easily marked and there was nobody else within 30 yards of him which was down to the 5-3-2 we were playing.

Yes he did lose possession to give them a goal. That is my only real criticism of him for this game. Was a big rick and something he needs to be careful of as he is often taking players on in dangerous positions.

Overall though agreed he has been our best player in terms of consistency this year. He was one of the players doing his utmost to get us back in it on Monday. I would agree he has dropped his form slightly in last month but I put that down to tiredness as much as anything. Still been a major major plus for us this year.

Edited by villaglint

Â