Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Typical M&B shitpub

I was about to say I bet they still sell gassed up Brew XI and stumbled across this whilst searching if it still exists.

Aaagggh.  I can't blinking copy any images.  Here's a link. 

http://paradisecircus.com/2015/08/04/what-happens-one-hour-after-drinking-a-brew-xi/

What happens one hour after drinking a Brew XI?

First 5 minutes

The slops from yesterday’s drip trays mix in you gut with the big heart of bacteria. Your body craves salt, and your brain is torn between KVE scratchings revealing another bit of the cleavage of the Big D peanuts model. In the end they only have Black Country Scratchings, which are meatier and so should soak up more of that 2.8% abv.

10 minutes

Apropos of nothing you begin a lengthy talk about Villa’s European Cup winning season or that time the Blues won the milk cup or whatever it was. A man next to you, drinking Barley Wine, retorts with his standard speech about the modern game and some hopelessly romantic Roy of The Rovers anecdote about that thing he saw Walsall do in 1952.

20 minutes

You become convinced that Stephen ‘Tin Tin’ Duffy’s Kiss Me is the greatest song ever recorded, it’s not on the jukebox however so you put Mr Blue Sky on instead. With the other selections you get for a quid you add ‘Handsworth Revolution’ and something by UB40.

30 minutes

You go and get another. At the bar you become embroiled in a friendly argument over whether there was ever a stupid metal flyover one car width across Digbeth. You leave, noting that your sleeve has been in a puddle of Ansells Mild

45 minutes

Your reaction speed is starting to be affected, the Millionaire quiz machine offers you a choice of Boon (series 1-3) and Boon (series 4-6) and you hit the wrong button. The problem with Birmingham, you reason, is that they keep knocking things down.

1 hour

Gripped by a rush of Brummie pride you decide that the second city has for too long been the butt of national jokes.

You start to sketch out a kickstarter on the back of the bearmat. It’ll fund a photographic project where you document “the real Birmingham” which will turn out to be some awkward portraits of some young white people from the creative industries who you met at The Victoria.

But first, one more for the road…

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What happens one hour after drinking a Brew XI?

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You leave, noting that your sleeve has been in a puddle of Ansells Mild

Fail. 

• Like 2

Popped into the co-op earlier and some old boy in front of me in the queue had 1 Nike trainer and 1 puma trainer on , was clearly the worse for wear and proceed to spend about £40 on beer and fags which took him about 6 minutes to count the money out and complete the transaction 

its moment like this that remind me that as a young pup of 50 ,  I’ve still got at least another 30 years of being in that state to look forward to :) 

13 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Woke up this morning and decided we’d disappear out for the day and drive up to the coast. Aimed for somewhere different and stopped at Redcar, had a nice long walk down the wide open beach. Quite a few people about but plenty of space, and I can see now why they call Middlesbrough folk, Smoggies, there’s some serious smoking chimneys around there. A bit of an industrial wasteland, but the beach was clean. 

We bought £30 worth of snacks and munchies for lunch and scoffed the lot around lunchtime, then headed back down the coast to Runswick Bay. No smog here, just a quiet  peaceful beach to walk along. It was so good just to get out of the house and see something different. Felt kinda normal, like the old days. 

Once did a bungee jump off the Middlesbrough transporter bridge. Main memory of the day isn't the jump but being at the top, taking in the view of Middlesbrough and thinking 'what an ugly city'. It was at that point they decided to turn on the crematorium at the foot of the bridge and engulf us all in smoke. Strangely I've not been back to Middlesbrough since. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Once did a bungee jump off the Middlesbrough transporter bridge. Main memory of the day isn't the jump but being at the top, taking in the view of Middlesbrough and thinking 'what an ugly city'. It was at that point they decided to turn on the crematorium at the foot of the bridge and engulf us all in smoke. Strangely I've not been back to Middlesbrough since. 

I've been for the footie a few times, never a place I got the impression I'd want to go back and explore further

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Ah, the image hosting site had an option to delete after an allocated time, I didn't realise it would delete the image from anywhere I posted it. Suppose it makes sense.

VT wouldn't let me post the image directly from the computer due to sizing. Anyway, it's a Villa shirt. Here goes again:

utv-2

And it's a bloody good one. 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 17:41, mjmooney said:

220px-Junction_Seven.jpg

I'd like to expand my Winwood knowledge from the almost zero its currently at. I see him as a child prodigy who grew up to be a very good singer of very mediocre songs. Can you recommend anything that's less cheesy pop and has a bit more to it?

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd like to expand my Winwood knowledge from the almost zero its currently at. I see him as a child prodigy who grew up to be a very good singer of very mediocre songs. Can you recommend anything that's less cheesy pop and has a bit more to it?

Try some of the Traffic stuff. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/04/2021 at 09:01, bickster said:

I've been for the footie a few times, never a place I got the impression I'd want to go back and explore further

putting it mildly, horrible place back in the day

First day back in the actual physical office this week.

Been out for a walk to make sure I had a lunch break and now I’ve just been tipped off that there’s a fire alarm drill this afternoon at 3:00pm.

So at just after 3:00, on a Friday, I’ll be stood in the car park, next to my car...

It’s a modern moral dilemma I tell you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

First day back in the actual physical office this week.

Been out for a walk to make sure I had a lunch break and now I’ve just been tipped off that there’s a fire alarm drill this afternoon at 3:00pm.

So at just after 3:00, on a Friday, I’ll be stood in the car park, next to my car...

It’s a modern moral dilemma I tell you.

Don’t you have that place you need to be at at 3pm? Probably gonna have to leave about 2:45

Just now, Genie said:

Don’t you have that place you need to be at at 3pm? Probably gonna have to leave about 2:45

I am currently prepping a tender for a job in my home town.

I’m considering doing it for free on the condition all site meetings at are 11:00am on a Friday.

• Haha 1

Â