Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

25 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Have to admit that I never appreciated it as a kid, but I live relatively rural and little things like this now mean so much. 

A few years ago, we had a few family members come down from the city to celebrate a kids birthday. Early evening, after the kids had all gone home, the adults were sat on our decking in our very small back garden at the time. Overlooking some lovely views and countryside. Drinking wine.

One of the comments: 'this is lovely, it's like being on holiday'. To us, it was the norm.

I've grown more and more appreciative of living in this area the more I have grown up.

That's how I feel about when I visit Ireland (West Cork)

I've visited at least once a year (often twice and sometimes 3 times) for my entire life. Last year was the first year I can remember when I haven't visited.

As a kid even though I enjoyed going on holiday, I had no appreciation of how beautiful a place it is and how lucky we were to have a house (stayed with my gran) where we could stay for free, more or less, and have all this amazing countryside on our doorstep. The house is on the coast, a 2 minute walk to a beach. It's my favourite place in the world.

But until about 7 or 8 years ago I really didn't appreciate just how great it was to have access to that sort of holiday

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Is he the one who's AEG's mate? 

Yeah, he's visited him a few times in hospital. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/el-ghazi-booking-nouri-tribute-insult-to-football

El Ghazi's booking for Nouri tribute an insult to football and those united by Ajax's tragic hero

• The Lille player was cautioned for removing his shirt, but the decision lacked common sense and compassion.

14 hours ago, Genie said:

One time I had recently bought a cheap runabout I got a tap on the door to tell me it had rolled down the drive and was sat in the middle of the street :lol: 

16 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Just been out to the bin at the front, at the same time as a neighbour and her boyfriend. They seem confused about where their car is... turns out she “forgot to put the bloody handbrake on again”, and the car has rolled backwards down the street, coming to a big denty rest in someone else’s garage door. 

It could have been very dangerous but no one got hurt, I’ll add that to the very funny things that cheer you up when emptying bins list :)

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That happened to me once . . . the drive at my parents' place is on a gentle slope. Got inside, made a cup of tea, wandered upstairs, idly looked out the front window to see the bastard gently rolling into the middle of the road 🤦‍♂️

Fortunately managed to get out to it before anyone came along, and I don't think anyone saw (it was in the middle of a weekday).

Happened me too.  Parked up in Tesco on a slight hill and put the handbrake on, but didn't put it in gear.  The pads cooled and shrunk as I was in the shop, and let the wheels roll. Came out and my heart stopped as my car had disappeared. Then I spotted it resting against the recycling bins. It doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened if someone had been lost in their own little world putting bottles in the bank at the time, although I imagine the roll would have been a really really slow one. The lesson I learned that day is located at the end of the first sentence above.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly cannot comprehend how bizarre and frightening it would be to wake up from a coma after a significant period of time.

Especially after how bizarre the last few years have been. 

Robin Williams did a great stand up bit about it to. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly cannot comprehend how bizarre and frightening it would be to wake up from a coma after a significant period of time.

Imagine waking up now after say, 18 months, in a coma

"What's happened in the world?"

"Well...."

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Have to admit that I never appreciated it as a kid, but I live relatively rural and little things like this now mean so much. 

A few years ago, we had a few family members come down from the city to celebrate a kids birthday. Early evening, after the kids had all gone home, the adults were sat on our decking in our very small back garden at the time. Overlooking some lovely views and countryside. Drinking wine.

One of the comments: 'this is lovely, it's like being on holiday'. To us, it was the norm.

I've grown more and more appreciative of living in this area the more I have grown up.

It is definitely something you appreciate as you get older. 

I see you're in Herefordshire? Not a county I know that well but did spend a few days in Goodrich, a couple of years back. Lovely. Also had a mate who lived in Ledbury, so been there a few times, although not recently. Funnily enough, its one of the areas i'm looking at to move too in the future. Along with Worcs and Shropshire. 

22 hours ago, bickster said:

I have come home tonight to a real life game of Monopoly, I have recieved a Community Chest card through the post.

Or should I say a letter from HSBC stating that they realise I'm no longer a customer but when I was, the level of service they gave me did not meet the correct standards and they are enclosing a cheque for £50

It's ten years since I had an account with them 😂😂

After interest they're only offering you about £2 for their poor service. They don't sound very contrite!

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

More baffled as to why????

My first thought was there may be a new PPI thing on the Horizon. They've obviously had to own up to something, maybe trying to close it off cheaply with the regulators "look at us, aren't we good boys, we've sorted this ourselves and compensated people" 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

More baffled as to why????

From looking online, Its for sub standard service offered to certain customers on certain products between 2010-2019. Nothing more specific than that! 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

From looking online, Its for sub standard service offered to certain customers on certain products between 2010-2019. Nothing more specific than that! 

Must have been why I left!

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's a fun film called Goodbye Lenin where the mum goes into a coma shortly before the Berlin wall comes down (they're in East Germany), and the son is told when she wakes anything stressful could be life threatening for her. Film follows the son trying to pretend nothing has changed in the world. It's a comedy more than a drama but it is still crazy to think about such things. 

Edited by Rodders
son, not sun - that would be a very weird film
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Xela said:

It is definitely something you appreciate as you get older. 

I see you're in Herefordshire? Not a county I know that well but did spend a few days in Goodrich, a couple of years back. Lovely. Also had a mate who lived in Ledbury, so been there a few times, although not recently. Funnily enough, its one of the areas i'm looking at to move too in the future. Along with Worcs and Shropshire. 

Yep, I'm on the northern side though. About 15 miles north of Hereford. The Shropshire border isn't far to our north. I love the area, and through lockdown we've discovered more of it through the different walks we've been going on and the like. 

Don't know Worcestershire at all really, but Shropshire has some amazing scenery and lovely walks. I think Ludlow is an amazing place. If you've never been, go and visit the castle and have a look round the town. Try the food too, some of the places to eat are incredible. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think Ludlow is an amazing place. If you've never been, go and visit the castle and have a look round the town. Try the food too, some of the places to eat are incredible. 

I don't know if its still the case but Ludlow used to have 3 Michelin star restaurants. Which for a town of that size is just amazing. 

At the time Birmingham had just 2 and Manchester none. We've got 4 now I think, not sure if Manchester still has none. 

Edited by sidcow

Â