Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

There's a fun film called Goodbye Lenin where the mum goes into a coma shortly before the Berlin wall comes down (they're in East Germany), and the son is told when she wakes anything stressful could be life threatening for her. Film follows the sun trying to pretend nothing has changed in the world. It's a comedy more than a drama but it is still crazy to think about such things. 

Loved that film

I watched it with Mrs H , who although from Hungary rather than East Germany could relate to quite  a lot of it from personal experience

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I don't know if its still the case but Ludlow used to have 3 Michelin star restaurants. Which for a town of that size is just amazing. 

At the time Birmingham had just 2 and Manchester none. We've got 4 now I think, not sure if Manchester still has none. 

I don't think it has any now. But, I still think the food places are amazing. We went to a relatively cheap place for our Christmas meal at work, the name of the place escapes me but the food was unbelievable. Considering they were cooking for a group of 15ish rowdy, pissed blokes. Even gave us all a free shot of tequila to finish it all off! 

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

There's a fun film called Goodbye Lenin where the mum goes into a coma shortly before the Berlin wall comes down (they're in East Germany), and the son is told when she wakes anything stressful could be life threatening for her. Film follows the son trying to pretend nothing has changed in the world. It's a comedy more than a drama but it is still crazy to think about such things. 

Good movie.

10 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I think Ludlow is an amazing place. If you've never been, go and visit the castle and have a look round the town. Try the food too, some of the places to eat are incredible. 

Last time I was in Ludlow it was for a school trip, and I was walking around the castle grounds listening to Snoop Doggy Dogg (as he was called then) on my cassette walkman! 

Some friends of mine moved from Stockport to Ludlow (cos countryside, culture, restaurants, etc.). They stayed a couple of years but grew to hate its Tory-ness, and moved again, to Skipton. 

I've been catching up on the current series of MasterChef on the iPlayer, which is being shown with the sign language and audio description on.

I can't sign, but it's been fascinating watching them. You don't really realise how bloody hard it would be for 1 person, using just their hands and expressions, to describe and relay a programme where at times there's 4 people all speaking and talking about comparatively complicated things (with foreign words, specific descriptions, tones, intentions behind the words etc) and doing it bloody fast and still distinct enough to understand. But they're so good at it after just a few minutes I reckon I could get the gist of what was being said with the volume off.

It's also interesting seeing them take short cuts, which some seem to do more than others. One of the signers for instance, whenever there was a name said, would appear to spell out the name. Another would sometimes just point at the image of the person being discussed in the footage at the time. Another will basically skip some of the 'flavor dialogue' or repetitive comments - the judges will both say 'the sauce lacks flavor' etc, the signer will do it once and the second time just say 'it's disappointing' it seems...

I've found it oddly cheering to watch. I'm pretty sure there'll be a gradient of popularity in signers amongst the deaf community. There's a bloke who appeared in a suit who earns every penny they pay him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Perpetual 20k+ Tory Majority Skipton?

Yeah, I didn't like to say at the time. The upside was that it was close to several of their friends (including me and Mrs M). The downside was that he didn't live long enough to enjoy it (oesophageal cancer). His widow moved again, to Stratford on Avon. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I didn't like to say at the time. The upside was that it was close to several of their friends (including me and Mrs M). The downside was that he didn't live long enough to enjoy it (oesophageal cancer). His widow moved again, to Stratford on Avon

I had to check and yep 20k+ Tory majority

Thats some movement - Stockport - Ludlow - Skipton - Stratford. 

I do like Stratford. Nice town, narrowboats and few decent pubs. 

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

I had to check and yep 20k+ Tory majority

Family nearby. And she's a big Shakespeare fan. Still hates Tories. 

I think the problem with Ludlow was that they had no like-minded friends in the area, and detested their immediate neighbours. 

Edited by mjmooney

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Family nearby. And she's a big Shakespeare fan. Still hates Tories. 

I think the problem with Ludlow was that they had no like-minded friends in the area, and detested their immediate neighbours. 

I can get rationale hate of things like people that wear beanie hats indoors  , like Queen , vegans etc   But I still struggle how an individual can hate “Tories”...in 2019 that was 14 million people ... that’s a lot of hate ....

staycations must be somewhat restrictive :) AD516CE0-25B2-401A-92FD-9D24CCFD15E0.thumb.png.4a95ac08203418d6b357b0ca16f946d9.png

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

words removed don't become likable due to there being lots of them.

I didn’t make any point about 14m people being likeable , merely surprise that someone could have so much hate in them.

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've been catching up on the current series of MasterChef on the iPlayer, which is being shown with the sign language and audio description on.

I can't sign, but it's been fascinating watching them. You don't really realise how bloody hard it would be for 1 person, using just their hands and expressions, to describe and relay a programme where at times there's 4 people all speaking and talking about comparatively complicated things (with foreign words, specific descriptions, tones, intentions behind the words etc) and doing it bloody fast and still distinct enough to understand. But they're so good at it after just a few minutes I reckon I could get the gist of what was being said with the volume off.

It's also interesting seeing them take short cuts, which some seem to do more than others. One of the signers for instance, whenever there was a name said, would appear to spell out the name. Another would sometimes just point at the image of the person being discussed in the footage at the time. Another will basically skip some of the 'flavor dialogue' or repetitive comments - the judges will both say 'the sauce lacks flavor' etc, the signer will do it once and the second time just say 'it's disappointing' it seems...

I've found it oddly cheering to watch. I'm pretty sure there'll be a gradient of popularity in signers amongst the deaf community. There's a bloke who appeared in a suit who earns every penny they pay him.

Sign language is something I've always wanted to learn. I also find it quite fascinating.

The fact I don't think I've ever actually encountered a single person who uses it is what is holding me back :D 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Sign language is something I've always wanted to learn. I also find it quite fascinating.

The fact I don't think I've ever actually encountered a single person who uses it is what is holding me back :D 

I'm sure if you stood in a busy part of the city centre and started doing it that someone would approach you sooner or later. 

I've done some Makaton before (can't remember much now though). 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

I've done some Makaton before (can't remember much now though). 

There's something that pisses me off - more than one sign language. The missed opportunity to come up with a universal code (if only for deaf people). Even British and American signing are different. (I realise Makaton is a sort of special case, with a different purpose, but still). 

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I an get rationale hate of things like people that wear beanie hats indoors  , like Queen , vegans etc   But I still struggle how an individual can hate “Tories”...in 2019 that was 14 million people ... that’s a lot of hate ....

TBF, her problem was that she had them living in her street, and constantly espousing their vile views, on the assumption that she naturally agreed with them. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

TBF, her problem was that she had them living in her street, and constantly espousing their vile views, on the assumption that she naturally agreed with them. 

They do say you’re never more than six feet away from a tory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

There's something that pisses me off - more than one sign language. The missed opportunity to come up with a universal code (if only for deaf people). Even British and American signing are different. (I realise Makaton is a sort of special case, with a different purpose, but still). 

There's a diffence between spoken languages, even British and American, so why would sign language be any different? 

Makaton is a special case as you say and that's I learnt some, due to autistic family members (it's complicated, essentially adopted but not technically). 

Â