Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

First day back in the actual physical office this week.

Been out for a walk to make sure I had a lunch break and now I’ve just been tipped off that there’s a fire alarm drill this afternoon at 3:00pm.

So at just after 3:00, on a Friday, I’ll be stood in the car park, next to my car...

It’s a modern moral dilemma I tell you.

It's a test for the next round of redundancies.

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I am currently prepping a tender for a job in my home town.

I’m considering doing it for free on the condition all site meetings at are 11:00am on a Friday.

I've played that game before

Problem being 2 of the directors also lived nearby, 1 of them wasn't even in my division, there was more management at that place on an average Friday afternoon than there was during monthly review meetings 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I'd like to expand my Winwood knowledge

Rumour has it, at the end of his school career he was in the first intake in the school I went to. He'd have been in the 4th or fifth form (or even 6th Form). I say rumour because I've never found anything to corroborate this. He definitely went to Great Barr Comp as did his brother Muff but I was told, when my school opened he was transferred to it. It was a teacher at the school from that era that told me but I've never seen any other mention of it.

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Star Trek Drinking GIF by HULU

You'd probably stick with Muff if your real name was Mervyn :mrgreen: Top A & R Man for Island and later CBS, also a top Record Producer, Dire Straights, Sparks, Marianne Faithfull, Traffic, Mott the Hoople...

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Try some of the Traffic stuff. 

I have to admit I find "Uninspired" and odd choice to recommend.   I always considered that a good metaphor for the point he'd reached with his music when it came out.   I would recommend something from John Barleycorn:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Rumour has it, at the end of his school career he was in the first intake in the school I went to. He'd have been in the 4th or fifth form (or even 6th Form). I say rumour because I've never found anything to corroborate this. He definitely went to Great Barr Comp as did his brother Muff but I was told, when my school opened he was transferred to it. It was a teacher at the school from that era that told me but I've never seen any other mention of it.

My old man went to Great Barr comp and is a couple of years younger than Winwood. He's never mentioned him though, or Martin Shaw, who was another notable pupil. 

Edited by Xela

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

My old man went to Great Barr comp and would have been a couple of years younger than Winwood. He's never mentioned him though, or Martin Shaw, who was another notable pupil. 

Lived in Atlantic Road, Kingstanding, as did Raymond Froggatt but he's more in @Seat68territory

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Lived in Atlantic Road, Kingstanding, as did Raymond Froggatt but he's more in @Seat68territory

Not far from my Dad either - he would have been living in Warren Farm Road (at the Kingstanding Road end) then. 

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

I have to admit I find "Uninspired" and odd choice to recommend.   I always considered that a good metaphor for the point he'd reached with his music when it came out.   I would recommend something from John Barleycorn:

I just like the guitar solo.  :)

But yeah, John Barleycorn is ace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

My territory too. Saw Froggatt live in about '73, supporting Wizzard at Leeds Uni (great bill for a slightly homesick Brummie like me). He'd clearly had a few sherberts. His mike stand kept collapsing, and he went off on one, along the lines of "If Oi was Roy **** ing Wood, Oi'd 'ave ten **** ing roadies sorting it out, but Raymond **** ing Frogshit doesn't warrant that. Bollocks to it".  He was great. 

• Like 2

I've managed to cut my son's hair without him going all bucking bronco on me. Some soothing Thomas the Tank Engine instrumental from Spotify and 5 minutes later he's gone from Ian Brown to looking like a street urchin. İt's only cost me a bowl of ice cream and a new Thomas model.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I've managed to cut my son's hair without him going all bucking bronco on me. Some soothing Thomas the Tank Engine instrumental from Spotify and 5 minutes later he's gone from Ian Brown to looking like a street urchin. İt's only cost me a bowl of ice cream and a new Thomas model.

Sounds like a close shave. 

• Haha 1

On 16/04/2021 at 20:47, Genie said:

It could be a clever stunt by the marketing department. I bet sales of both cakes will shoot up now

The OH insists that it's not. Or at least it isn't on Aldi's side.

It is very strange, considering Aldi have been ripping off M&S (and everyone else) for years. And also because every other supermarket has a caterpillar cake too. 

My suspicion is it is either some weird marketing stunt from the M&S side 

or, more likely imo, they're trying to "raise awareness" or make a point in general about budget supermarkets ripping off bigger brands. Aldi are the king of that strategy so maybe they're trying to get some sort of momentum going to stop them doing it.

But as @bickster said, they haven't got a leg to stand on. Aldi are good at this because they have a good legal team that checks everything to make sure it's legal. I'm sure M&S would know this so I find the entire thing very strange.

If it wasn't for the OH's insistence, I'd conclude the same as you, that it was all a big stunt. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

they haven't got a leg to stand on

They haven't got 16 legs to stand on either

My crackpot theory having discovered there is an actual Peppa Pig world is that M&S are planning a Theme Park for of Colins and Percys

(Enters discussions with M&S as he's typing)

Â