The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, DCJonah said:

Call me crazy but I'd like players I know can hack it in the premier league to be in the squad when we get promoted. 

I'd like players who I know can perform at this level to be part of this squad trying to get promoted. 

If we need to sell Grealish because of money then we're going wrong in our planning somewhere. 

This would be a terrible decision and really take the shine of such a good window. 

I'm not sure Grealish has proved this yet tbh.  But he's a talent, as I say.  Needs time to develop his game.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I'm not sure Grealish has proved this yet tbh.  But he's a talent, as I say.  Needs time to develop his game.

He hasn't proved he can do it consistently. But he's proved that he's got the ability and talent to perform at that level. 

We'd be nuts to not try and build on that with him. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

He hasn't proved he can do it consistently. But he's proved that he's got the ability and talent to perform at that level. 

We'd be nuts to not try and build on that with him. 

Does he start for us with these new signings?  I'm not so sure...  certainly hope he has a large part to play for the rest of the season, though.

15 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

His mental toughness and his general attitude. He does appear at times a little immature.  

He is. He's 21. He has a good 3 or 4 years to improve. In their own respective positions he's still been better for Villa than GG.

But in what way does he seem a little immature? Tackling? Chasing the player? Making an early pass? Closing the gap? Holding his position in attack and defence? Dropping his head? Understand runs? Sorry, I still don't quite get it.

Rodders0223 said he didn't think he was ruthless enough. And I wouldn't argue there. He misses passes and shooting chances, but again, he's 21 with very few games at either Prem or Championship level. 
This year he is ghosting past players and committing the tackle well and it was something he started understanding last year. I also like the way he holds his position when on the counter. You can also see he looks for the wide pass to nobody and so takes it through the middle a lot. In attack I feel he is maturing well and understanding how to build relationships. But he still hasn't quite worked out the timing of it all despite showing flashes of class.

Pleeeeease do not sell Grealish. So much potential and I think players like the ones we brought into the midfield who are known for working hard will influence him for the better. He's only 21 and oozes potential. Get rid of westy or garry first.

• Like 2

Grealish isn't going anywhere. You guys shouldn't panic for no reason.

Anyway, with us actually having a midfield now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jack banging in a few more now, as well as assisting more.

How many penalties has Jack won this season by the way guys? For people saying he's not been productive enough....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

IMO his biggest problem isn't his physicality or his technique, it's his mentality.   

and that's exactly why I would be OK selling him.   I don't think mentality can be coached.  I get that many want to give him time to mature.  I would argue that time is no guarantee of maturing and he has value now.  If I'm right, he will have less and less value as time goes on.  If mentality can be coached I know a lot of coaches (and managers) that are inept.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

He is. He's 21. He has a good 3 or 4 years to improve. In their own respective positions he's still been better for Villa than GG.

But in what way does he seem a little immature? Tackling? Chasing the player? Making an early pass? Closing the gap? Holding his position in attack and defence? Dropping his head? Understand runs? Sorry, I still don't quite get it.

Rodders0223 said he didn't think he was ruthless enough. And I wouldn't argue there. He misses passes and shooting chances, but again, he's 21 with very few games at either Prem or Championship level. 
This year he is ghosting past players and committing the tackle well and it was something he started understanding last year. I also like the way he holds his position when on the counter. You can also see he looks for the wide pass to nobody and so takes it through the middle a lot. In attack I feel he is maturing well and understanding how to build relationships. But he still hasn't quite worked out the timing of it all despite showing flashes of class.

IMO he has all the ability in the world but at times he needs a rocket up his arse. He's so frustrating to watch because you know he has the talent but he doesn't always seem to perform at 100%.

For what it's worth I'd love him to stay and be a success, I just get this nasty feeling he's going to waste his talent and end up drifting out of the game at the highest level.

6 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

and that's exactly why I would be OK selling him.  

are you mental?

I don't think mentality can be coached.  

What?

Then anyone studying Phsycology in any field is completely wasting their time

I get that many want to give him time to mature.  I would argue that time is no guarantee of maturing and he has value now.  If I'm right, he will have less and less value as time goes on.  

You are wrong

Value is circumstantial

IF and a big IF he was to leave

ManU/C & Chelsea would break the bank if they thought highly of him

or 

a struggling PL team in desperation would pay whatevers going for a hope/talent

If mentality can be coached I know a lot of coaches (and managers) that are inept.

Absolute Bollox.

You obviously dont know the guys at PL & Ch level then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

IMO his biggest problem isn't his physicality or his technique, it's his mentality.   

I agree in past, but he seems to have pulled his socks up with that regard this season.  Credit were its due

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Does he start for us with these new signings?  I'm not so sure...  certainly hope he has a large part to play for the rest of the season, though.

MOre likely to make an impact as a sub - I can't see him getting a starting place .

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

are you mental?

What?

Then anyone studying Phsycology in any field is completely wasting their time

You are wrong

Value is circumstantial

IF and a big IF he was to leave

ManU/C & Chelsea would break the bank if they thought highly of him

or 

a struggling PL team in desperation would pay whatevers going for a hope/talent

Absolute Bollox.

You obviously dont know the guys at PL & Ch level then

Wow, I don't find ridicule of someone who disagrees particularly persuasive.  But to respond to what I think is the substance of your argument..... I think you are saying that mentality can be coached.  Is that correct?

If so, I would think we mean different things when we use the word "mentality."  Mental health is not the same as the mentality of a successful athlete. 

We agree that value is circumstantial.  Which is why I said that if he fails to realize the potential we see in him, his value will drop (and I expect both will happen).  A lot of his current value is in his potential.  Read the arguments that support him here and I think you'll see it is a common view.  If I'm right and he does not advance toward his potential, the circumstances will have changed and his value will drop.

Finally on who I know.... we can compare if you want, but I don't think that's really the point.  It seems as if you are under the impression that undermining my credibility is the way to make your point.  I don't intend to play tit for tat.   Cheers

• Like 1

Through the middle (nr10) best position

Even better as an impact sub

Like many of our Youth players has suffered not having good experienced pro's around his position on the field.

So from now on he has a chance to get on a good learning curve with HL & CH around him and no Hutton, Westwood, Gardner or Bacuna.

We gain more by selling any of Westwood, Gardner, Ally & McC - even Tish, Bacuna, Richards & Gaby

1 hour ago, Grumpy_Lion said:

I wouldn't want to lose him in general but especially not this late in the window. Any money we get from him is going to be hard to spend in January now, so if he had to go then early Jan would have been better than we could have sat with perhaps and extra £15 mill to spend on a few players.

Maybe the £15m is to balance the books. Sometimes in business you have to make hard decisions - we're stuck with some deadwood so maybe we need to shift someone who might generate some funds

• Like 1

Â